PDA

View Full Version : Chris Fossian model

pixeltek
08-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Just back from two months all over SEA, including Burma, and super busy editing tons of photos, I needed to get my hands back in the game with this little image. The model is inspired by a tute by Adam Benton, himself being inspired by the great Chris Foss.

Done in LW 9.2 and rendered in radiosity in F-prime and the exhaust for glow in LW. The backdrop is a NASA image that was used for a MAX tute in 3D World #107. I know the atmosphere is too think, but when I saw how it came out, I liked it for the drama it added. Besides, the square NASA map is all there is on the large sphere and the atmospheric effect covers that up. The exhaust was post worked in PS CS3.

And now it's off to LA for Siggraph 08

Karl (pixeltek)
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

starbase1
08-08-2008, 05:10 AM
I'm not sure you have the Foss effect right... The very smooth curves in some areas don't work for that, and I think you need more panelling or something in the broad colour areas to add detail. You've got the large scale largely right, but in my opinion it's the mass of visible fine stuff that helps give Foss's images their sense of scale.

colkai
08-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I've always felt Foss's work was more curvy too, more bulbous.

pixeltek
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
So sorry guys. I said, inspired by, not copied. Oh well. We both have failed then, Adam Benton, who posted his C4D tutorial in ImagineFX Magazine, and of course I, who looked long and hard at galleries by Chris Foss, and was amazed at the huge variety of shapes and vehicles that visionary had created, to date.

So it goes. :cry:

LW_jackn
08-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I like it. :) Although I do agree that it is missing some detail.

;)