PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointed

jnjcre8
07-29-2003, 06:34 PM
How can you have a mac and pc product and not have a stream for the mac.

All I have to say is thats crap.

At least when Brad Peebler was around I was able to watch the stream on the mac. All you had to do is stream with the older version of Windows Media Player.

Well, I must say I am totally disappointed.

Lewis
07-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jnjcre8
How can you have a mac and pc product and not have a stream for the mac.

All I have to say is thats crap.

At least when Brad Peebler was around I was able to watch the stream on the mac. All you had to do is stream with the older version of Windows Media Player.

Well, I must say I am totally disappointed.

I watched stream on Windows NT 4.0 with Media Player 6.4 (NT doesn't support 7.0 or above) so you r asumption it's only for MP 9.0 insn't correct.

jnjcre8
07-29-2003, 06:56 PM
I am running Windows Media Player version 7.1.3.0267 on OSX dual G4 800.
All I get is audio no video.

There is a thread with other mac users. That the same thing is happening to them.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8687

They don't have WMP 9.0 for the mac

Adrian Lopez
07-29-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm running Media Player 8 on a Windows XP PC and I'm not getting any video, only audio, so the problem isn't limited to the Mac.

Rich
07-29-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm running wmp 6 on win2k and no problems at all

CardMSG
07-29-2003, 07:09 PM
It's streaming with the Windows Media 9 Codec, which apparently is available for Windows Media Players 7 and up. I don't know if this is true for MAC also, but check out this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx

jnjcre8
07-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Well if thats the case doesn't newtek check to see what system software wmp supports? Before tring to stream there show.

Lewis
07-29-2003, 07:20 PM
IF that's the case tha could be answer why soem machines see strameing and other's don't.

Fausto
07-29-2003, 10:44 PM
jnjcre8

I doubt they (Newtek) could anticipate each and every system configuration and make their stream available for all of them. If they decided to not cater to the mac whiners, it wouldn't bother me one bit, but I hardly doubt this is the case. As a previous poster offered, even some windows machines are having problems dealing with the stream. I'd suggest it's more related to the demand than anything as covert as trying to annoy the religious mac. Forever the victim!

Original1
07-30-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Fausto
jnjcre8

I doubt they (Newtek) could anticipate each and every system configuration and make their stream available for all of them. If they decided to not cater to the mac whiners, it wouldn't bother me one bit, but I hardly doubt this is the case. As a previous poster offered, even some windows machines are having problems dealing with the stream. I'd suggest it's more related to the demand than anything as covert as trying to annoy the religious mac. Forever the victim!

It could be a technical choice.

1) Windows media Player 9 could give the most compact stream.

2) Its probably being done with a Toaster which ships with Windows Media encoder built in

3) you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time

colkai
07-30-2003, 02:25 AM
Well I *was* running Media Player 6.4 - but it was dropping like a mad one!
I installed Media Player9 (luckily on a magazine CD i had!) - cetainly smoother - handled the drop of data-transfer better - of course, it could be coincidence - but I don't think it was.

Fausto
07-30-2003, 03:15 AM
I'm running W2K/XP with WM9 and it was dropping frames as well on occasion on both PC's. It seemed that the buffering would take longer to reach 100% prior to frames being dropped so I just assumed it was a demand issue. I can imagine there was quite a draw on Newteks servers, perhaps millions of simultaneous requests.

cheers

evilemil
07-30-2003, 03:44 AM
I downloaded Windows Media PLayer for Win2K and had a constant rate of 330kbit at around midnight. It was 2:00pm in San Diego.
The Streaming was smooth and i had no problems at all.