PDA

View Full Version : screamernet memory.

Andyjaggy
08-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Does screamernet take more memory then rendering straight inside LW? I ask because a scene that is rendering okay inside lw is constantly running out of memory when using screamernet.

eblu
08-07-2008, 01:36 PM
thats a bug. file it.
its probably something called a "memory leak" where screamernet forgets it has some memory lying around when it needs some, and so it goes and gets more. do this a couple thousand times, and you wind up with a memory hog renderer, which has slowed down somewhat.

basically... Screamernet is Lightwave without an interface slapped on it.

it "should" use the same amount of resources LW uses to render.

Andyjaggy
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Well I don't know what the deal is, but I can't even render a 1.8 million poly scene with screamernet. Looks like I'm back to windows as usual.

Meshbuilder
08-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Does screamernet take more memory then rendering straight inside LW?

If you render with one node it shouldn't take more memory.
But if you render with 4 nodes (One for each CPU). Then it will
use four times the RAM you need when rendering inside LW.

eblu
08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
good point meshbuilder.

and if you, like my coworker, have screamernet set to be threaded... and you use nodes, you can potentially wind up with a real memory mess.

he had a 4 processor machine (pc btw) and he was rendering through screamernet, with 4 nodes. each node had 4 threads. 4 times 4 is 16. his machine was trying to use 16 times the amount of ram that lw would use to render.

I'm not certain that this is always the case. I think Screamernet is supposed to limit this behavior, but I know that it didn't in at least one instance. personally I consider it a bug.

Lightwolf
08-11-2008, 08:13 AM
he had a 4 processor machine (pc btw) and he was rendering through screamernet, with 4 nodes. each node had 4 threads. 4 times 4 is 16. his machine was trying to use 16 times the amount of ram that lw would use to render.
There is very little memory overhead per thread, so it's more like 4 times as much memory plus a little bit (probably a lot less than a MB per thread).

Cheers,
Mike

Andyjaggy
08-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah it's just one node so the memory shouldn't be that much more then rendering inside LW.

Scazzino
08-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah it's just one node so the memory shouldn't be that much more then rendering inside LW.

If it's just one Screamernet node, then it should actually use a bit less RAM than Layout would rendering the same scene with the same number of threads and the same settings... since there's no GUI loaded...

Andyjaggy
08-11-2008, 10:30 AM
that's what I thought, I knew multiple nodes would use xtimes as much memory, but I'm just doing one 4 threaded node. Either way I just had to boot into XP64 to render. Don't know why I don't just stay there most of the time.

Scazzino
08-11-2008, 10:34 AM
If you're certain that Layout and ScreamerNet are both using the same number of threads, and the exact same settings (make sure they are both using the same scene settings and config settings too, like segment memory limit, etc.) and ScreamerNet is taking more RAM, then it's a bug that you should report so that it can be fixed...