PDA

View Full Version : What "clogs up" LW?

Johnny
08-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I have noticed that, after 4 or 6 months or thereabouts, working in Lightwave, both in layout and in modeler, gets slower at some point.

I do my regular cron tasks, and repair permissions and all that stuff...I have plenty of free hard drive space, but sooner or later, working in Lightwave gets painfully slow.

Render times are what I expect, which is good, but the bogging down of my creative work is a problem.

Might it be something going on on the hard drive itself? something that needs a good brooming? and if so, what?

what I have been doing is a periodic nuke and pave, and after I re-install everything, working in Lightwave is back to its regular, pretty responsive self...for awhile..

I'd rather not have nuke and pave as my only solution...I have a LOT of stuff to re-install!

Any ideas on where to look or what to look for?

thank you!

BTW..I am still on Tiger and LW 8.5, so not cutting edge as many of you are...

J

SplineGod
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Not sure but it does the same on PCs.
We have 8 core machines with 16GB ram and after awhile I get msgs what Im running out of virtual memory and LW starts to bog down.
We have to reboot a couple of times a day.
It feels like its not returning memory.

meshpig
08-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Have you tried Disk Warrior?

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

You boot from the disc and rebuild the directories Disk Utility can't. Makes a big difference when things are getting like you say, slow:).

m

Johnny
08-07-2008, 09:15 AM
No, I haven't...

I have a wierd feeling about Disc warrior...I know everyone raves about it..I had a version a couple years ago (no longer works with my set up or version of OS X) and I hate to say, I never knew it to actually DO anything.

I got it because of another kind of prblm, and it ws suggested as a solution. It didn't solve that problem, either...

So, just by my experience (which isn't exhaustive) Disc Warrior doesn't seem to offer much...maybe there's something key about it which I don't know or am not seeing.

thanks!

J

Giacomo99
08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I am still on Tiger and LW 8.5, so not cutting edge as many of you are...

My advice is to upgrade ASAP to Leopard and 9.5. The increases in speed (especially rendering) and stability are dramatic.

Johnny
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
are they?

Even on the same hardware??

upgrading software is one thing, but there's no dough right now for a new mac.

J

meshpig
08-08-2008, 12:57 AM
are they?

Even on the same hardware??

upgrading software is one thing, but there's no dough right now for a new mac.

J

I'd be wary of running 8.5 on Leopard also Leopard on older hardware.

Yeah, Disk Warrior isn't a cure-all but it's a good start if you are trying to find faults and isolate problems.

m

Johnny
08-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey, Friends;

just wanted to check in...today, I trashed my install of Lightwave and re-installed it, doing repair Permissions both before AND after, as many recommend when installing software.

Seems to have restored zippiness to working in Layout, which is a relief. And much less of a PITA than nuke n paving the whole rig.

Wanted to pass along how it turned out; thanks to all for the suggestions.

J