PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave newbie needs a hand

bmnunderhand
08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I am coming from 3D Max and wondering if there is a way to smooth and object like the MeshSmooth and TurboSmooth options in Max. Also, how do I export UVW maps without printscreen? I'm finding this program very confusing and even though I'm no 3D artist I need to learn this to make simple boxes with simple textures for work. Any help is appreciated.

Marvin Miller
08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm not familiar with the terms MeshSmooth and TurboSmooth, but if they are what I think they are, then you can hit the Tab key to enable Subpatch mode. Also, subdivide (Shift-d) will help smooth a mesh by adding more geometry. You can also use the Smoothing option in the Surface Editor.

You can use the Surface Baking Camera in Layout. Load the object in Layout, select the object and UV map in the camera options (when you have Surface Baking Camera as the camera type) and hit F9 to render. Then save the image.

The manuals will have more information on any of these tools.

Lightwolf
08-06-2008, 04:52 PM
You can also set a viewport in Modeler to display your current selected UV and export that as an EPS file (which you can then use as a template in PS for example).

Cheers,
Mike

bmnunderhand
08-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Well thanks but how exactly do I use that EPS file type?

Intuition
08-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey bmnunderhand. What you want is to have the mesh subdivided like Max's Turbo smooth right?

Go into modeler and open the object. now press the TAB key. This will subdivide it. Then save the object and open it in Lightwave Layout. Once in Layout you can now set the object subD level in the object properties under the geometry tab it will say display subpatch level 3 and render subpatch level. You could set the display low and the render higher. A setting of 0 makes the mesh go back to its unsubD state. As you raise the subpatch numeric value watch the polygon count to make sure you don't go too high.

bmnunderhand
08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the information. When I'm back at work tomorrow I'll try it out.

Lightwolf
08-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Well thanks but how exactly do I use that EPS file type?
Open it directly in Photoshop.

The advantage is that PS can rasterize the EPS (which is just vector data) at any resolution.

Cheers,
Mike