PDA

View Full Version : Robotochan - LW Contest entry

The Dommo
08-06-2008, 04:24 AM
Hey there,

I don't normally post my work on here, mainly because I've spent as much time as possible studying LW, but only really got into it seriously by studying most evenings and weekends since March this year. Thanks to a very understanding girlfriend too....! :D

I saw the news about the LW contest at the end of June, and something inside me said I had to enter. I've never entered a 3D competition before. I came up with a storyline with a beginning, middle, and an end for the "Model, Animate, Render" brief.

Spent a lot of time modelling and learning how to do things in LW to get what I wanted done. My colleague gave some advice and input into some of the modelling. However, close to the deadline there wasn't enough to to complete everything, so we just focussed on the most 'action-packed' part of the sequence.

Thanks to my colleague Paul (aka Flakester) for his excellent help on the character animation near the deadline. We didn't have time left to rig properly, so everything is FK animation - but it's ok in this instance.

No idea how we'll do in the contest. I don't expect us to win or anything, but I'm just very chuffed I rose to the challenge, forcing myself to learn new things in LW, much more than I knew before.

Thought I'd share some of what we did. Enjoy - and keep your eyes peeled for the full story version that'll come in the next few weeks, hopefully.

See the couple of images, and then the HD 15 second animation here (http://www.eesb.tv/samples/Robotochan_15s.wmv) :thumbsup:

DBMiller
08-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Thank you!!! Finally, someone who shows off what they entered! I love it, those old wind-up robots have a great look. :thumbsup:

The Dommo
08-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Cheers, glad you liked it. I agree, those old toys look pretty cool. Will keep you posted when we finish the project in full :)

Exception
08-07-2008, 06:12 AM
That is... hilarious!

I really loved this one, the animation is great, and it all fits together really well! Cheesy light letters and all, dancefloor... great!

Only crit is, probably because of render time at crunch time, too much noise in motion blur, could have used a much lower AS setting...

Matt
08-07-2008, 06:18 AM
That's ace!

Iain
08-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Nice work! I liked the flashing lights, particularly his mouth.

Funny, I wanted to do something similar with a model I made of Asimo. Took me about 20 hours to animate 3 seconds of dancing!

The Dommo
08-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Glad you're liking this. Seriously, when I saw the poses in OpenGL and then rendered, I was nearly wetting myself..! :D

Regarding the noise - you are bang on the money there - it was a 'time available' thing. The night before the deadline I was at work all night running around 4 different machines getting them rendering the different shots, and then had to drive home at over twice the speed limit (oops) at 2am, to get my home machine rendering, and then back to the studio, returned home again to collect rendered files at 5:45am....

When we do the full version and render time is not an issue, everything should be silky smoooove...

The only place the noise is 'really' bad is the shot locked to his face in a hand-held style looking at oneself shot - but it kinda helped give the shot that cheap camcorder feel. As concerns the rest of the noise elsewhere... well umm.. yep that helps with the errr... gritty WWII feel I was going for ... :D :help:

Lightwolf
08-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Hey, great. I really like it as well. The more awkward poses had me grin wildly when watching.

:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mike

The Dommo
08-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys. Just checking in for the first time after a weekend holiday with the Missus after working on this.

Thanks for the positive vibes from you all anyway, and glad you found it amusing, as that was the intention :D

cohominous
08-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Great stuff. The vibe was awesome.