PDA

View Full Version : Excellent streams, thanks to NewTek

trygve
07-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Is NewTek the only 3d company that are broadcasting live to their entire community of users from Siggraph? They didn't think of that over in Alias, Softimage og Discreet?

It must have taken a lot of time and effort to set up, and the quality are amazing at least here in Norway. It tells a lot about their commitment to their users.

I'm glued to the screen. A big thanks to NewTek, It's excellent. :D

js33
07-29-2003, 03:16 PM
Ditto:D :D :D :D :D
Of course I've been watching Sig and Nab streams for several years now.:D :D :D

Cheers,
JS

-FP-
07-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Crap, I have DSL and I still can't see it without long buffers and dropouts. It's unwatchable. It's the only stream I've had trouble watching since I got broadband. I can watch overseas TV stations in pretty high-res with smooth movement, but not this L8 preview.

NiPeR
07-29-2003, 03:33 PM
-FP-: Agree with you, I have the same problem.:(

Hope we can see these demos later.

Endorphin
07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
true!, excelent stream in the netherlands aswell. thumbs up newtek.....uhhh, btw, LW8 seems A W E S O M E !

philip
07-29-2003, 03:52 PM
yeah, it's running smooth and teh quality is great.

a big thanks to NT.

tha dark grey interface looks awesome too!

Nick
07-29-2003, 03:59 PM
I hade problems with it before but now it works great.
and like philip I also like the dark gray interface.

all the new tools are amasing
BIG THANKS NEWTEK !

hrgiger
07-29-2003, 04:25 PM
How long is Siggraph? Will the stream still be going Thursday? I'm off work:D

hrgiger
07-29-2003, 05:00 PM
Never mind, I just saw the schedule and I see Thursday is the last day. Goody.

-EsHrA-
07-29-2003, 05:04 PM
hey Endorphin, ik zit ook in nederland en de stream is niet al te best...

too choppy...rather unwatchable...although i have a very fast connection...

Hope my recordings work out :)

Cheers,

-EsH-

milkman
07-29-2003, 07:33 PM
i have a comparably slow DSL connection (512/256), and streaming was absolutely AMAZING

Perfect quality, I couldn't have asked for better.

Choppiness came and went, but overall, it was very smooth.

Jockomo
07-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Yea nice job, streams came in nicely here almost all day.

Would like to see some closer shots of the interface with any of the new feature sets open. real close, perhaps Will or Deuce could go through each button.

Don't know if you have time for this, but it would be nice to see some of the guests hop on lightwave and run through some tips, maybe do some key framing or some quick modeling.

Rich
07-29-2003, 09:51 PM
I started watching the steams right at 1pm est. They were almost flawless for the first hour then they started to get choppy on and off the rest of the day. But I have to say It was definitley worth watching. Even when the video would freeze from time to time I would still seem to get audio. I would then hit the refresh button on my browser and then the stream would fix itself.

GoodieBR
07-29-2003, 11:30 PM
:( :( :( :( :(

Well, on my crappy 256kbps ADSL I got an awful frame rate of about 1 frame every 5 to 10 seconds. But at least the audio came along fine.

I'd kill for a Low Bandwidth stream to see things actually moving on the screen...

andrenozawa
07-30-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by GoodieBR
:( :( :( :( :(

Well, on my crappy 256kbps ADSL I got an awful frame rate of about 1 frame every 5 to 10 seconds. But at least the audio came along fine.

I'd kill for a Low Bandwidth stream to see things actually moving on the screen...

I know what you are talking about GoodieBR.When I was living in Brasil I had that Speedy 256kbps, but now I am living in Japan and I have 100 MBps:cool: That`s Speedy!

rremzie
07-30-2003, 07:15 AM
the streaming is super :D , there are some minor glitches once and while, but most of the time i don't have any lag

colkai
07-30-2003, 08:07 AM
Rub it in why dontcha? ;)

I tried recording it last night with Camstudio - but it got very upset with me and locked my PC. Then wouldn't save the audio.

I need to record some of this, so I can see the wife for at least 15 minutes ;)

trygve
07-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Can't you watch it together? Just add some candles and wine. :D

I can't watch tonight, unfortunately it's one of those really rare sunny summerdays here in the north, so everybody incists we have to have a barbeque. *sigh*

Zarathustra
07-30-2003, 08:59 AM
Is NewTek the only 3d company that are brodcasting live to their intire community of users from Siggraph?

Well, not the "intire" community. The Mac users can't see it.

Would be great if they posted recordings (perhaps in multiple formats) so those of us with either slow connections or other platforms could eventually see all the great stuff going on.

btw - "broadcasting"; "entire"

-EsHrA-
07-30-2003, 11:57 AM
hey, stream is now much better ...almost flawless :)

Cheers,

-EsH

colkai
07-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Heh - says you!
Tonight my stream is glitchy as heck!! :(

Matt
07-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Yeah cool that they've done it thanks!

Colkai - same here, sound is okay but the picture jerks a little!

richpr
07-30-2003, 12:48 PM
No problems here...

Great stuff this interview with Don McCoy of Area 51... !!!

I need to get this Children of Dune DVD... ;)

Matt
07-30-2003, 01:00 PM
Yeah - some of the showreel stuff has work I never thought was done in LightWave too!!!

Well done!

(Although that Terminator Remix is starting to grate now ;) )

Earl
07-30-2003, 01:09 PM
LOL, yeah I turn the music off during the reels just because of the Terminator remix. It was fine at first, but after 10 or so sessions of it, it gets to ya!

Great reels though. Lots of amazing work in them. I'm also very impressed with the LW work done on the backgrounds and full CG chots in Children of Dune.

richpr
07-30-2003, 01:14 PM
I need to see some of that frame by frame... Impressive stuff!

Matt
07-30-2003, 01:29 PM
my stream starts off okay for about 10 seconds then the images start jumping or not updating at all :( the sound is fine though!

you'd think 512K ADSL would be enough!

re: repetitive Terminator tune - they should have a live DJ, like me, I'd do it for free!!!!! ;)

Dick Ma
07-30-2003, 03:27 PM
So smooth streaming in Hong Kong. Now I can save $ travelling to San Diego.

But I would like to go there myself, Answer the questions and get a free LW!:D

ddaniels
07-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Would have really loved to have watched the great stream that everyone has been talking about everywhere but seeing as newtek has decided to alienate themselves from mac users again and only make the stream available to pc user ill just have to trust you guys that everything in LW8 looks great cant wait to see it

js33
07-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Hi all,

I recorded 8 demos of the stream. It is just over 300 megs for all the files. I would like to get them converted to QT format and post them somewhere so Mac users could view them.
I haven't found a suitable way to convert them to QT yet and keep the file sizes down so if anyone knows a good program to use let me know. Also if anyone has enough web space to host them let me know also. Maybe Newtek will host them.:D
I could just post the files as is and the PC users that had slow connections could see those. I think it may be a problem to get a good QT conversion as most programs I tried don't convert ASF to QT very well.

Cheers,
JS

milkman
07-30-2003, 07:33 PM
js, convert them to XVid. Mac users should be able to view it.

XVid is an mpeg4 AVI.

try it.

also don't mac users have an early version of Windows Media? You could convert it to ASF which all WinMed players should play.

As for the quality of the stream, yesterday it was ASTOUNDING but today I couldn't watch it for more than 30 seconds. Then it would start jumping and skipping.

For a while i had consistent audio, got to hear Jennifer, Larry, and Raf.

js33
07-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by milkman
js, convert them to XVid. Mac users should be able to view it.

XVid is an mpeg4 AVI.

try it.

also don't mac users have an early version of Windows Media? You could convert it to ASF which all WinMed players should play.

As for the quality of the stream, yesterday it was ASTOUNDING but today I couldn't watch it for more than 30 seconds. Then it would start jumping and skipping.

For a while i had consistent audio, got to hear Jennifer, Larry, and Raf.

Hi Milkman,

The files are already in ASF format. The problem is they use the WM9 codecs which aren't available for the MAC:(

I will try a few other ways to convert them.

Cheers,
JS