PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush model are in red.....uh...why?

MachineClaw
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I notice in a lot of tutorials or WIP from Zbrush that the models are always in red instead of like the standard grey of every other package.

Is there any reasoning behind this? Just curious. I kinda like it, though Zbrush totally confused me last time I tried a demo.

Is there a way to make the grey models in lightwave red like in Zbrush? some deep dark secret config menu somewhere?

Sarford
08-05-2008, 02:53 PM
The red is suposed to mimick a modeling wax so it feel right at home for creature modelers. There are other materials you can choose in Zbrush, like a amber modeling wax, normal gray clay, or any material you want, you can even make your own.

You can't have the same material in Lightwave. In Zbrush they have some trick to get the nice soft shadows and the subsurface scatering on the model, I don't think LW can do this in realtime. But in Lightwave you can always make the surface of your mesh redish ;)

MachineClaw
08-05-2008, 04:35 PM
major bummer. would have liked that redish or yellowish wax look when modeling.

CMT
08-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Within a ZBrush Matcap(material capture) material is an image of a sphere which represents the lighting and material properties for the matcap. The texture actually represents a virtual sphere in the material and the normal angles of your object correspond to the normal angles of the sphere with relation to the camera angle.

Think of it like taking a picture of a cueball. ZBrush uses the lighting, specularity, color present on the cueball in that pic to instantly apply to your model.

It's kind of like baking the lighting into a texture in Lightwave except instead of baking it into an unwrapped UV texture, you're baking it to a sphere shape which represents the lighting and material.

I don't know of any way to do that in LW, but I've been looking.

CMT
08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
There is no subsurface scattering.

Right. It's mainly a a trick done with the matcap feature. If you can render a sphere with sss applied, and use that sphere image in your matcap material, then it will have a slight sss appearance. Not accurate sss, but something good enough for viewing - and in real time. That's the beauty of it.

Sarford
08-06-2008, 02:05 PM
There is no subsurface scattering.

I know, thats why I said they use some 'trick' :)

Jake
08-06-2008, 05:31 PM
G2 has a feature like that. You use a spherical image to apply the effect to the surface of an object.

cresshead
08-07-2008, 06:39 AM
G2 has a feature like that. You use a spherical image to apply the effect to the surface of an object.

does g2 show that in the viewport or is it a render shader only visible in your final renders?

gotta say i'm BIG fan of the zbrush material look when modeling a character...i'm hoping that mudbox 2.0 also can do something like this too...

siggraph 2008 starts next week!:thumbsup:

CMT
08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't know much about Mudbox 2 other than that promo vid they showed. It looks pretty tight though. I'm more interested if Pixo has something up their sleeve. They have taken an awful long time for their Mac release and I'm wondering if it's because they added some new features to both Mac and PC and may release a significant point update along with the Mac version. But that's prolly just me dreaming....

CMT
08-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Just saw this link from ZBrush Central's Mac thread....

http://www.vfxworld.com/index.php?atype=news&id=24277

It appears my hopes are justified. Let's hope this info is right.....

cresshead
08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
yummy on the 3.5 news!...will be neat to see how zb3.5 stacks up against mudbox 2.0

CMT
08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
yummy on the 3.5 news!...will be neat to see how zb3.5 stacks up against mudbox 2.0

Well, one thing Pixologic was never short of was creativity in innovation. I'm very excited to see what's up their sleeve come SIGGRAPH. Mac or not.