PDA

View Full Version : Help: Background Image Resolution Question

Pakorn1
08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey guys, a question about Lightwave 9.2,

Does anybody know if there is a way to change the resolution of a scene without affecting the resolution of a background (reference) image? I need to make my resolution widescreen but don't want my reference image in layout to get all stretched - is there a way to make it maintain its original resolution?

Thanks guys!

-Rob

BlueApple
08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
If I understand you correctly, you are changing the aspect ratio of your camera, right? I think there are two options, generally:

1) Pull in your camera so you crop some of your background. You will lose a bit of the background from the top and/or bottom.
2) Horizontally stretch your image. This will cause distortion, and as you stated, not desired.

Not sure if this helps you out.

Pakorn1
08-05-2008, 01:53 PM
If I understand you correctly, you are changing the aspect ratio of your camera, right? I think there are two options, generally:

1) Pull in your camera so you crop some of your background. You will lose a bit of the background from the top and/or bottom.
2) Horizontally stretch your image. This will cause distortion, and as you stated, not desired.

Not sure if this helps you out.

Hmm, well I can't really pull the camera in since I am trying to create a camera match between a 3d object and video. The camera is already set - I used a matching program that set points for positioning reference and automatically keyframed it to match the movement of the live action camera. Basically, I want the background image (which is actually an image sequence/video) to stay at its actual resolution of 1440x1080, but my camera needs to be super wide (2355x966) I don't mind if my reference video is taller and thinner than my camera - I will turn it off in the final render. I just need to have it at the right proportions and position in order to reference it and animate a 3d model against it

BlueApple
08-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Camera matching is foreign to me, so perhaps someone else can chime in.

Pakorn1
08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
It's OK :D Thanks for the suggestions though! I think what I'm going to do is re-render the reference video out of After Effects to the resolution that I want my camera at, with the blank space already included. I'll let you all know if it works!

Talc
08-05-2008, 06:49 PM
If you've already matched to a resolution & aspect ration I'd sujest you either animate to that & post proccess in after FX, or rescale the image then match it again and animate to the new image. Otherwise you'll have registration problems with you models slipping against the background.