PDA

View Full Version : Proton showing soft/hard body dynamics

js33
07-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Been watching Proton demo the new soft/hard body features and they look very easy to use and powerful. I like the dynamic bones and how they react to forces. I just wish this stuff had been in LW sooner. :D

Cheers,
JS

DeadMan
07-29-2003, 02:36 PM
DStorm should have developed it sooner. :D

hrgiger
07-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Is that in a downloadable video yet at all? I'd love to see it but I can't watch the stream from here at work.

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Yah~ looks easy & powerful....:D

grab some pics form my monitor screen... hope can cheer up the people who cannot view from the stream....

quality is poor though but U got the look....

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 02:39 PM
one more...

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 02:41 PM
another one for now...gonna go back to watch streaming...

pblacklock
07-29-2003, 02:41 PM
i think this time NT finally got L8 moving in a giant step forward by the sound of it.

congrats

Bytehawk
07-29-2003, 02:56 PM
the hard body dynamics and point/vertice moving tech looks a lot like the dstorm hard body dynamics demo I dlded a few months back.

Mike Pauza
07-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Yeah the dynamics looks great!

If the new particle tools are as good as the stuff they've shown so far, this could be the biggest dynamics upgrade in the history of any 3D package!!! Can't way8.

-Mike Pauza

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 03:06 PM
yah... looks to me... DStorm has done all of the foundation works on the new dynamics...NT compiles into LW core...

pblacklock
07-29-2003, 03:07 PM
keep them pics coming Shermanlu........we love yaaaa.

mouahhhhhh:p

hrgiger
07-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Anybody know if the new soft/rigid body dynamics take weight maps into account? I always thought that was the only big shortcoming of Motion Designer.

js33
07-29-2003, 03:20 PM
One small thing I just noticed is you can delete and adjust keys right on the timeline now. Sweet!:D
The dynamics look sooooo useable now compared to fuzting around with the old motion designer. Plus the fact that bones are dynamic and react to the soft/hard bodies. You can also copy and paste bones and IK from one side of a character to the other in Layout. :D

Cheers,
JS

Original1
07-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Anybody know if the new soft/rigid body dynamics take weight maps into account? I always thought that was the only big shortcoming of Motion Designer.

The enviroment can effect bones which means bones will use wieght maps William showed a skydiving model whose bones were effected by wind.

Also the dynamics can be tweaked after calculation

js33
07-29-2003, 03:23 PM
I haven't delved into character animation much because of the tedium but now it's so easy and powerful.
Now I think I'll really be able to do the kind of character stuff
that I always wanted to do.
Thanks Newtek. :D

Cheers,
JS

js33
07-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Also you can create a dynamic simulation with really simple geometry and then apply it to your real object without recalculating the simulation.

Cheers,
JS

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 03:28 PM
yes... i'm happy now!!!

you can also delete any point from an emitter if the point mess up your effects...

New IK system rocks...

IK/ FK switching through the keyframes even better...

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 03:31 PM
catch... second round...

Dynamics affects bones...

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 03:32 PM
more...
collision to the bones...

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Wind affects to the bones...

js33
07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi shermanlu,

What are you using to capture the WMP screens?

Cheers,
JS

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 03:37 PM
bone dynamics... object collision makes the bones in the hair fall on head...

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by js33
Hi shermanlu,

What are you using to capture the WMP screens?

Cheers,
JS

just the basic "Print screen" key...then paste into photoshop...:p

js33
07-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by shermanlu
just the basic "Print screen" key...then paste into photoshop...:p

I tried that but it didn't work. I just get a black WMP window.
Do you have to hold the shift or ctrl key also?

Cheers,
JS

hrgiger
07-29-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Original1
The enviroment can effect bones which means bones will use wieght maps William showed a skydiving model whose bones were effected by wind.

Also the dynamics can be tweaked after calculation

That makes sense as far as bones being affected by environment and thus, the corresponding weight maps on your mesh. But I was wondering if cloth simulations and other softbodies not being moved by bones are going to be affected by weight maps? That would definately make dynamics way more powerful. It would be nice to be able to manually set blending with weight maps.

And that is so great that we'll be able to tweak the dynamics after calculation. I'm guessing that there will be some great stuff coming out of Lightwave users over the next year with some of these new features. I know I'm already rubbing my hands together in anticipation. I guess I feel like some of the weaknesses that I've personally encountered with Lightwave are being addressed in 8.

facial deluxe
07-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Hey thanx a lot for those screen grabs :) I'm on holyday and can't see the Stream :( but the pics and sum up some people are posting around are just wonderfull, thanx to the great community.

Earl
07-29-2003, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I gotta say, with the ease of use of their hard/soft body dynamics, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of independent animated series/films that rivial the best out there. Some of the cel animated demos they were showing in their demo reel were amazing. I'm watching the "LA5T EXILE" one now.

Dodgy
07-29-2003, 04:29 PM
This all sounds really nice! Looking forward to getting my hands on the little basket :) Thanks to all those posting bits!

policarpo
07-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Kick *** shermanlu! thanks for posting the picts....

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by js33
I tried that but it didn't work. I just get a black WMP window.
Do you have to hold the shift or ctrl key also?

Cheers,
JS

i've held down Alt key & hit print screen.
i got black windows sometimes too...but i switched back & forth between photoshop & media player...i've done the "printing works" when the media player "freeze" the image...:D i don't know why...but it works...

js33
07-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Well I'll let you post the pics then. :D
I probably need a screen grab utility.

Cheers,
JS

sketchyjay
07-29-2003, 05:32 PM
ugh... after a 3 hour battle i finally began capturing the stream and have been saving out each of the demos. But there are like 50 MB+ for even two of the videos ( I have 186mbs for the little I did record). I don't have the bandwidth on my site to host these .asf files.

with some help maybe we can put some of them up so people can see them finally.

BTW I haven't watched them fully (will do that when I get home), but the quality is ok.

J

sketchyjay
07-29-2003, 05:36 PM
I noticed some software when it is in the forground will stop screenshots from working

BUT

select another app and have the other in the background but visable will allow you to do a screen shot. The way I get DVD, Media player and a few others to let me do screen shots.

okay time to head home i think i captured enough for tonight...want to go home and watch them.

J

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 05:38 PM
You can mail them to me...i got plenty storage to host the cilps.:D

sketchyjay
07-29-2003, 05:47 PM
when I get home I will open a hole in my firewall so I can send the files by AIM to anyone with space to put them up on the net.

I will go through them. there are 11 of them (190MBs). but really there are two that are really feature showcases another with spline god and the rest are basically repeating the same thing over and over. So in all it may be 75 megs of downloads.

j

kevman3d
07-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Actually, when you think about it, the solution has been in LW all along! If you just treated the end pointss of bones as particles with tethers that hold them within reach of their end point, you could then apply the same FXCollision, FXWind affectors to them...

Very clever - And I love the idea! L[8] does look pretty juicy... Hmmm... Where's my cheque book! :)

shermanlu
07-29-2003, 05:55 PM
cool...THX sketchyjay......

sketchyjay
07-29-2003, 11:49 PM
damn got home and started watching them and there is still a lag on it. about half the stream is still and the rest moves fine...of course it's only when they are hanging and chatting or on shots of the crowd. Compared to watching it in media player it's alot better

not as useful as i had hoped

oh well maybe i'll try to chop them together into one good one.

The softbody stuff is amazing but the action objects may wind up being a really cool tool. use them to stop/break or change the soft body stuff... very cool

J

nawDsign
07-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Please.. more screen grabs! thank you!

-EsHrA-
07-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Proton is 6 years old?? He looks more like about 30-ish... ;)

Cheers,

-EsH-

kellyv
07-30-2003, 05:35 PM
That does look like it'll be some fun! Too bad I missed the streaming tho!

kelly
help me with... video card? (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8761)

shermanlu
07-30-2003, 07:20 PM
They have done much better hosting today...really enjoy the interviews...
any thing special tomorrow???