PDA

View Full Version : Cad to Lightwave?

gfrederickk
08-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to find a simple way to take an 3d object that an architect has created in Autocad and bring it into Modeler. Any advice on how to do this?

Much appreciated.

Limbus
08-05-2008, 01:59 AM
He could export them to a format tha LW can read e.g. OBJ or 3DS or DXF. LWCAD also has another DXF importer.

Cheers, Florian

manholoz
08-05-2008, 09:09 AM
And it would depend on how that architect drew in Autocad. Sometimes it's better to use Autocad "stuff" as a template, not as directly useful information.

zapper1998
08-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Have architect merge all layers of Autocad drawing, no dimension lines or text and export as 3ds, or obj file.

Or have architect export out just the single layer that the drawing is on..

I have had to work with architect's before and that's how I have them do it.

gfrederickk
08-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks.

I've never used CAD. Zapper ---- Is this a big inconvenience for the architects? Or is it something they can do rather easily?

manholoz
08-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Depends on the drafter. Some people just were not meant to be CAD drafters, and make a horrible mess on the drawings. Sure, they print out fine, but for modifying or exporting, it is a complete mess.
It will either be an inconvenience to the architect... or to you. If it's an inconvenience to you, charge extra for cleaning the source material, and usually some magic is performed, and it becomes the architect's inconvenience.

robk
08-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Export as 3DS (if it contains solids) or DXF version 12 if it does not contain solids. Convert with Accutrans 3d to a LW object.
If you try to export a 3DS object select the objects to export but zoom in close to a part of the object before pressing the return key. The amount of facets on curved parts of your object depends on how close you zoom into an object before performing the 3dsout command. There is no way to set the exact number of facets on curved items on an object with 3dsout.

I have been using Accutrans 3D since 1994 and highly recommend it.

gfrederickk
08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Ouch. My head hurts. So I guess you guys aren't going to direct me to a magic "CAD import" button that I haven't found.

I appreciate all the help. I think I need to make friends with an architect.

Larry_g1s
08-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Ouch. My head hurts. So I guess you guys aren't going to direct me to a magic "CAD import" button that I haven't found.

I appreciate all the help. I think I need to make friends with an architect.Okay...do a search under ProgeCAD lite. It's a free CAD application that works almost identical to AutoCAD. You can then pull in the .dwg, clean it up if need be, then save/export to a .dwg. As mentioned LWCAD has a nice .dwg importer. I could not stress enough the importance of that plug-in, it's amazing and will help your workflow drastically.

robk
08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I appreciate all the help. I think I need to make friends with an architect.

Not meaning to belittle Architects, but they are the last person I would ask. Talk to a Arch tech first. In most firms even the tech's don't know anything about exporting drawings for other use. I should know, I have worked for various Architectural and Engineering firms and most people only know how to load and save drawings they are working on and that is the extent of their experience.

RollerJesus
08-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I should know, I have worked for various Architectural and Engineering firms and most people only know how to load and save drawings they are working on and that is the extent of their experience.

I work at an engineering firm and the drafters I work with would tear your arms off and beat you to death with them if they heard you say that. Then they would draw the crime scene in AutoCad after.

robk
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM
I work at an engineering firm and the drafters I work with would tear your arms off and beat you to death with them if they heard you say that. Then they would draw the crime scene in AutoCad after.

Yeah. But your from Florida. I am located in kinder gentler place.:)

Up hear I would probably get staked to the ground, covered in honey and left for the mosquitos to eat. 8~:lol:

My usual problems are from printing/ad agency types who are obsessed with the term "300 dpi" It's like their world will fall apart if your graphic does not reach that golden mean. The last request from an AD agency was for a poster of a house render. they were printing a 12'x8' sign and they wanted our render to be 300 dpi. So lets see 12x12x300=43,000 pixels x 8x12x300= 28,800 pixels. This was for a sign that was to be 25' from the side of a hiway where no foot traffic was. A normal billboard viewed from that distance would look excellent at 25 DPI. So I actually had to ship them the image on a DVD because it was so large. (I hope they choked on it):):)