PDA

View Full Version : Is it so hard to transfer a license Newtek?

hrgiger
08-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Ok, I've been trying to get my license transferred over to the new owner now for the last few weeks and I'm not getting anywhere. I hate to take it here but it's become apparent that unless I make a spectacle of it all, nothing is going to get done.
The person who bought my Lightwave 9 license has been very gracious and very patient during the whole process and even let me hold onto my license well after he paid me for me to complete some work with Lightwave before I shipped it. You may have seen him here on the forums, he is Oedo 808. While he continues to be patient, I'm about to the extent of mine.
I emailed Newtek a few weeks before the sale went down to make sure I knew what they would need from me to make the process as easy as possible. They emailed me back, gave me the format they wanted my info and the buyers info, and told me I could send a letter, scan it and email it or fax it to them. I wrote a letter out with all the required information, and mailed it via snail mail probably around 3 weeks ago to the address they supplied. I never heard back from them and my license is still showing under my registration page and the Oedo 88 is unable to use the software.
When Oedo 88 emailed Newtek they said they had no knowledge of any letter that I sent and wanted to know when I sent it. So I emailed the same guy at Newtek, told him I already sent a letter. I get a seemingly canned response back asking telling me the format they would like the information in. So I resubmit it via email. They said they need my signature, well, I suggest they look around their office because I already sent it to them. I sent this email Friday and have not heard back anything yet. So I emailed them again today.
I'm not sure what is so difficult here. Can someone at Newtek please address this?

Dexter2999
08-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I recently sent in a request for a 64bit licence key and it took a week to answer the email. Instead of telling me that I should have addressed Sales, the guy in Tech Support asked for my info. I replied...and waited a week before sending a follow up email. He sent another request for my info. I replied and waited another week...so I called. THAT was when I was told I was writing the wrong department. The guy that answered the phone, Tom, gave me the key over the phone though, nice guy that Tom.

I also aked a question of Sales by email about upgrading 3D Arsenal to 9.3. That was three weeks ago, still no answer.

Dude, make the call. Email them while you are on the phone with them to confirm. I'm sure they will take care of it. For some reason email has a lack of urgency.

adamredwoods
08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
I think they're all at Sigraph.

hrgiger
08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I should have mentioned that I've also called. They said I had to put it in writing. I did put it in writing. Back to square one.

Dexter2999
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Seriously, I bought a copy of LW from a guy on the board. I heard nothing. Then I called, I forwarded the lady in Sales the email that he had sent them (and listed me CC). She got it and straightened it all out in like 15 minutes.

If you already sent the email once it should be in your sent mail. Get someone on the phone and while talking to them, forward it to them again.

G M D THREE
08-04-2008, 10:52 PM
You would assume that a software company would be tech savvy enough to make a the license transfer process automated and instant! How difficult can it be to assign a new name and address to a number?

Stories like this put me on a tree out of rage, and brings some bad memories and issues I had with other software companies in the past.

I bought few months ago a small share-ware app online that I needed badly in the situation I was.
After getting a conformation e mail that my payment was successfully proceed, saying that I will receive a second mail within the next two to three weeks with the activation code. ... I went W.T.F.
Why is it so easy to charge a credit card and so hard to rig a secure server to generate activation codes on receiving a payment? Why is bureaucracy more important than logical human actions.

///

Weetos
08-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Sorry to hear this, hrgiger. I hope this is gonna be processed very soon.

I guess it's because of siggy, because I experienced a fast license transfer some time ago and I got no problem at all, it took only a few days.

I guess Dexter's right : call them on the phone and I'm sure this will be processed in no time.

Good luck and I hope you'll come back occasionally to these boards, hrgiger - you'll be missed :cry:

Dexter2999
08-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Any reason you didn't use the registration page? It'll generate your key instantly and automatically.

I had already registered it as a 32bit app. I didn't know you re-register to get other keys. Adobe, AVID, DigiDesign, whatever, any of the software I have you register once and that's it. Registering is say who owns the software. If the process is for license keys then maybe it would be clearer if they just named it something else (like REQUEST LICENSE KEY) or just generated all the keys and put it in your products info at the get go.

Phil
08-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Are you sure the original letter arrived with NewTek? Was it sent by registered mail, or courier?

If you have a couple of the original letter you sent, can you scan it in and email it to them as a PDF or similar, complete with signature?

Jim_C
08-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Sending a letter of that importance should require a signature or proof of receipt from the sender.

Oedo 808
08-05-2008, 07:35 PM
All sorted!

Thanks to whoever helped in sorting this out at NewTek.

And thanks especially to hrgiger for sticking with it and taking an interest in it's resolution, and not taking the "Not my problem." option.

hrgiger
08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm glad it was sorted out.

Lewis
08-07-2008, 06:54 AM
A new LW user, welcome Oedo 808 :D.

Oedo 808
08-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks very much, it's good to be here. Just got a few things to sort out in my life and then I'll be on here every other day with a constant barrage of questions I'm sure. :thumbsup:

kopperdrake
08-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Aye - welcome onboard :P

Elmar Moelzer
08-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Just to add the original topic: At least NT allows you to transfer a license (even if they were indeed slower than usual this time), most of the competitors do not allow that.
I really like that mentality.
CU
Elmar