PDA

View Full Version : Memory matters?

Talc
08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Before we start can i say don't take the piss out of my spelling please. I'm kind of crap. I know it, you know it. Ok "get over it" now on to what matters!

2 gig seems to handle about 2 point million somthing polys as i've found out recently. There's a reg trick to take your system to 3 gig. You can go 64 bit and load your mother board with tons of ram. HDinstence will clone almost infinite objects in your scene.

What is a reasonable poly count for your main characture? Using Catmul setting 3, mine just came in at 2.5 million & i knew i'd done something wrong! His partner came in at about the same, i knew i needed to do some drastic culling.

I know anything is forgivable if you can get the animation & all animations are different however im after your rule of thumb here?

Hopper
08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Suck if i can't spell. Wouldn't it be great if we where all perfect!

Suck if i can't spell. Wouldn't it be great if we where all perfect!

Suck if i can't spell. Wouldn't it be great if we were all perfect!

Hey .... but you spelled it right. :D

Talc
08-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Replace the "S" with an "F" that's my frustration! Anything to say about the mem situation though?

Talc
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Just to correct the signature... Hows this? Still would like to here about the mem matter!

That didn't work bugger! Hang on i'll try again.....

Sensei
08-06-2008, 08:49 AM
What is a reasonable poly count for your main characture? Using Catmul setting 3, mine just came in at 2.5 million & i knew i'd done something wrong!

What is wrong? You got what you asked for.. CC level 3 is 64 polygons from each patch.. (2^level)^2..

Lewis
08-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Use SubPatches level 4-5 and you will have less polygons than with Catmull-Clark and faster responese while modeling/thumbling viewports. Only "downside" is that SubPatches will work with Tris and Quads only (preferable quads as much as you can make traingle free character).

Talc
08-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Thank you for a sensible response. My early days of 3d educated me as to the necessary discipline of memory management but with cheap ram & the falling prices of hard drives i'd forgotten. It amazes me that with virtual addressing we still have to work within the limet of 2 gig. Even more when catmull (so nice for curves) forces your poly count to go through the roof. Anything more than 2 reasonable characters (not talking about gaming design) breaks the memory limet. This is why i wanted to know if other people used a poly count rule for designing characters?

Lewis
08-08-2008, 12:12 AM
2GB limit is windows problem, actually not windows only but ALL 32bit systems and that's "normal" thing. So 64bit system is your best friend if you want to use large polycounts :). I'm on 64bit windows for 2 years now and using 8GB ram and still can spend all that on some scenes - basically you can't have too much memory :D :D.

stevmjon
08-13-2008, 09:10 PM
hello

i recently bought a new computer, 6 months ago, and it will use 4 gig on 32 bit windows. actually, when i looked at my total ram from the task manager, it read 3.66 gig total ram. close enough.

stevmjon