PDA

View Full Version : Tough crowd @ Siggraph

Aegis
07-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Is it just me or does NewTek's crowd seem like a bunch of corpses? I'd have been standing at the front whooping when Proton demoed softbody/hardbody/bone dynamics... not to mention the "Instant IK"...

Some people are too hard to please... :D

policarpo
07-29-2003, 01:42 PM
it still probably too early for most of them...maybe they had a rough night. :P

Psyhke
07-29-2003, 01:47 PM
...the swirling blue lights are hypnotizing them. :)

pblacklock
07-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Maybe Irene was standing by and those guys ouldn't take off their eyes from her.

seriously newtek, upload us a freaking picture of L8 so wwe can all see the new look.

:D

Aegis
07-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Here's a grab of the [8] interface whilst Proton was demoing polygon sewing/slicing...

Earl
07-29-2003, 02:21 PM
I personally found Deuce's comment about the "stray particle" hilarious! All too often there's one rebel particle that breaks all laws that you've set and goes shooting off into oblivion. It's nice to know we can snag that sucker right there and delete it before it gets away!

hrgiger
07-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Cool. We can select individual particles? If we can delete them, does that mean we can also animate them? That would certainly help those difficult particle simulations.

Aegis
07-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Yup! You can hand animate individual particles without messing up anything else - awesome!

DeadMan
07-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Maybe the ppl. aren't too excited because they also use other packages (Maya, XSI, etc.), and all these features are old news to them? The only thing that impresed me is that the IK/FK seems to work rather well.

Cman
07-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by DeadMan
Maybe the ppl. aren't too excited because they also use other packages (Maya, XSI, etc.), and all these features are old news to them?

Is that really true? :rolleyes:

Rich
07-29-2003, 06:36 PM
The new dynamics engine kicks major ***! The bone dynamics is really making me excited about upgrading. Just imagine making a character fall off a building and land on the ground. It will look sooo real as he bounces around. Also imagine its a statue falling off a building or a ceramic dish falling to the ground. Now with that new explode feature you can make those items shatter into a bunch of little pieces. Newtek is finally going to give other packages some fierce competition when it comes to character animation.

Rei
07-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Sounds like [8] is shaping up to have great new FX tools, the in built exploder sounds good, and individual particle is great.

whats this on bouncing, LW getting a ragdoll physics engine too?

DaveW
07-30-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Cman
Is that really true? :rolleyes:

Yep. More expensive of course, but true.

policarpo
07-30-2003, 12:54 AM
did you guys catch TERRA?

man..that looked very very nice.

the quality of the stream was nice too.

meni does great things. i'm glad we have him representing LightWave as an artist.

JDaniel
07-30-2003, 12:55 AM
What happen to faster radiosity and anti-aliasing? :mad:

hrgiger
07-30-2003, 01:28 AM
Well we haven't seen everything yet but I wouldn't expect too much for the renderer and modeler this upgrade, that much has been said already. It doesn't mean it won't be addressed in a 8.X update.

Zafar Iqbal
07-30-2003, 02:15 AM
First of all i must agree that the crowd seemed pretty dead .. but then again: I would like to believe that they were simply so stunned that they couldn't move or say anything.. :) :)

I watched the live feed for some hours - from i noticed it was up and running till the day was over, actually ;)

The new rigging tools seems awsome! From bone dynamics to features as small as copy/paste bone settings.

Oh boy, its christmas already! :D

And Half-Life is getting released in a few months.. wee, its gonna be a good year :)

DigiLusionist
07-30-2003, 03:35 AM
I thought the same thing about the different crowds that gathered in front of the Newtek booth. Seriously underwhelmed people. I just got back from partying, and the buzz is Kaydara and Lux.

Good stuff in L8 preview, but the general feeling from those I spoke with was: too little, too late. Really, we'll have to wait and see how things pan out.

tortoro
07-30-2003, 03:43 AM
I'm agree with you DigiLusionist.

The new function of lightwave seems to be really cool, but I think that Luxology is creating the "3d app" that we are all waiting, with a good fundation.

I'm sad to say that, but I think I'm going to switch.

trick
07-30-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by tortoro
I'm sad to say that, but I think I'm going to switch.

I'm not the most optimistic person in here, but isn't this a little early to THINK. LW is here, I'm using it and I still like it for what it is NOW. Sure, I want all the feature that live on this planet but there is still NO other ALLROUND software with a plugin developer base that can match LW in price and performance. What I've seen from the streams, the new looks are good and if stability is as shown I want [8] at least for that

(although I hope I don't have to select thousands of points when I like to tear a curtain apart in lots of pieces....)

tortoro
07-30-2003, 04:44 AM
Yes the new features for the layout are cool, but there is no improvment for the modeler, and this the part of lightwave I'm using all the time.

So bethween modo and upgrading lightwave you could easily understand that is an hard choice to do.

And I think that a total rewrite of lightwave doesn't appear untill more than 1 year.

colkai
07-30-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by trick

(although I hope I don't have to select thousands of points when I like to tear a curtain apart in lots of pieces....) [/B]

That's a good point actually Trick.
I did wonder that - seeing how the 'sheet' was sewn and then broken. I wondered if the skirt and that had to be sewn before being broken - if you see what I mean :)

If it all works off point sets - then that would speed it up, Proton seemed to suggest that, but I may be reading something that wasn't there. Either way - regardless of whether they bought in the plugins & talent (and why not!) - a smart move by Newtek.

If modeller gets a similar revamp (edges...edges..edges) then The final 8.x will be a must have for many. Even now - its looking good!

trick
07-30-2003, 05:25 AM
As shown, it was: push button...left click point...right click accomp. point...push button...left click point...right click accomp. point...etc.

Better would be: click button...drag over points (first point..accomp.point...sec.point...accomp.point...e tc)

...or better some intelligent script that looks for the sewline and sews the points automatically.

Another thing I hoped to see on the vertex editing, that next to a FALLOFF IN PLACE when editing one vertex, would be a FALLOFF IN TIME. I suppose vertex movement can be edited in Graph editor, but when you move a vertex at a sudden point in time with a large falloff, a LOT of points are being transformed. It would be nice if all these points got a gradual movement in time also !!!!!!!!!!

colkai
07-30-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by trick

Better would be: click button...drag over points (first point..accomp.point...sec.point...accomp.point...e tc)

...or better some intelligent script that looks for the sewline and sews the points automatically.

Another thing I hoped to see on the vertex editing, that next to a FALLOFF IN PLACE when editing one vertex, would be a FALLOFF IN TIME. I suppose vertex movement can be edited in Graph editor, but when you move a vertex at a sudden point in time with a large falloff, a LOT of points are being transformed. It would be nice if all these points got a gradual movement in time also !!!!!!!!!!

All good points (pardon the pun ;) )
I would not be at all surprised to see plugins from Pictrix for this whe nLW8 is released - Ideally, NT with think on it and add it themselves before it is released. After all, it is a ways off yet, if not - look to the East :D

zedy
07-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Ha-ha!
Just watch this one http://www.luxology.net/event/2003/siggraph/img/modo-LWlike.jpg
And after this, is there anoybody going to say, that Modo is da brand-new software!?
I can even imaging, how it was created- one of those talented guys just was nothing to do, and occasionaly run photoshop...
Now few additional buttons are added and it's been honerly called "modo".... Even shortcuts are the same! smooth shift- shift+F,mirror- shift+V...
the only thing i like is edge based tools...but is it worth it?...

DaveW
07-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by zedy
Ha-ha!
Just watch this one http://www.luxology.net/event/2003/siggraph/img/modo-LWlike.jpg
And after this, is there anoybody going to say, that Modo is da brand-new software!?
I can even imaging, how it was created- one of those talented guys just was nothing to do, and occasionaly run photoshop...
Now few additional buttons are added and it's been honerly called "modo".... Even shortcuts are the same! smooth shift- shift+F,mirror- shift+V...
the only thing i like is edge based tools...but is it worth it?...

The interface and shortcuts look lw-like because that is the UI chosen. It can mimic the shorcuts and appearance of Maya, XSI, Max, ect. Wether or not it's worth it depends on how much you'd pay for those features and how much Modo will sell for. Personally, I don't think it will be worth it to me as the models I make with it will either go to Messiah or Lightwave, neither of which support any edge weighting or n-gon subpatches. Edges and n-gons are the only things about Modo that really interest me at this point; I know the underlying architecture is supposed to be amazing and I'm sure it is, but until I can actually benefit from it, it doesn't matter to me.

Matt
07-30-2003, 12:33 PM
Aegis - I was thinking the same, the hard body stuff was cool and it was like . . . . . tumble weed . . . . . !

So for the benefit of Deuce and Proton - LightWolf and I were chatting on MSN while watching the stream and WE thought it was cool!!!

:)

P.S. Aegis - how did you grab that image? everytime I try a screen grab it has a big black square where the stream should be :(

P.P.S. Not keep on the HUGE bevelled buttons on that interface either, but I'd need to see a proper grab, Modo on the other hand (on Luxology's site) looks pretty damn good!!!!

DaveWarner
08-01-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by tortoro
Yes the new features for the layout are cool, but there is no improvment for the modeler, and this the part of lightwave I'm using all the time.

They did not show any Modeler improvements in LW8...that doesn't mean there won't be any when the program ships later this year. They're just showing off the things that were actually ready to demo.