PDA

View Full Version : Graphic card options

Darth Mole
08-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Okay, I'm just about to ditch the Quad for an 8 x 2.8GHz MacIntel. Anyone got any serious/useful opinions on choice of graphics card? As I'm not constructed from cash, I'm looking at either the stock ATI Radeon 2600 XT 256MB or adding a bit to upgrade to the Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB.

(I would love to get the 8 x 3.0GHz, but figure that extra 500/$1,000 is better spent on apps, RAM etc).

G M D THREE
08-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Go with Nvidia. We got the ATI 1900 in all our intel macs, and since we started updated to Leopard there was some issues with wired line artifacts on screen. Looking the issue up it was due to the ATI card and we manage to fix it to some extend by over clocking the fans to run faster. And 512MB vs 256MB sound very good to. Its only $150 extra. You can always ad extra ram later on, but in the case of the card its a swap and you loose about $100.

mike_stening
08-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Just got the 8800gt in my 8 core and it makes such a difference over the 7300gt i had. worth the 170 upgrade.

JeffrySG
08-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Go with Nvidia. We got the ATI 1900 in all our intel macs, and since we started updated to Leopard there was some issues with wired line artifacts on screen. Looking the issue up it was due to the ATI card and we manage to fix it to some extend by over clocking the fans to run faster. And 512MB vs 256MB sound very good to. Its only $150 extra. You can always ad extra ram later on, but in the case of the card its a swap and you loose about $100.

Hey GMD, I've been getting some weird video card things happening when I'm in a 3d app on my ATIX1900 too - since upgrading to Leopard - and getting a 24" monitor. How did you get the fans to overclock? was it a patch for the video driver fan?

I'm just wondering if my X1900 has been overheating lately....

thx for any info!

Jeff

JeffrySG
08-06-2008, 10:02 AM
^damn time limit....

I meant - was it a patch for the video card fan or for the fans in the macpros? :)

G M D THREE
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I meant - was it a patch for the video card fan or for the fans in the macpros? :)

I did a firmware update on the card, but that didn't fix the problem.
The app I am using is smcFanControl 2.1.2 it lets you run the fans faster than there usual speed. So that kinda helped. It still happens once in a while when the AC in the studio is off and it gets very hot, but its way better than before.

I read some horror stories about people having the heat sink melt off the ATI cards. They seem to have some issue with keeping there cards cool.

///

JeffrySG
08-07-2008, 09:19 PM
OK, thanks for the info GMD!

It's funny, but it doesn't happen to me when I'm running CAD software in Windows with Bootcamp, only in Leopard. I've been pointing a fan at the back of the MacPro to try to keep it cooler, but I'm going to look into the smcFanControl app.

Cheers!

JeffrySG
08-08-2008, 06:26 AM
smcFanControl looks great! Thanks GMD. I'll let you know how it works out. I just bumped up the minimum fan speeds. What did you set your minimums to now on your MacPros?

I'm not sure if you use it but I love iStat Menus and iStat Pro. They don't control anything but they give tons of stats on the machine in a widget and in the menu. (including temperature of all different areas and fan speeds). Both great apps.: http://islayer.com/