PDA

View Full Version : Rendering jobs at large studios

inquisitive
08-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Out of curiosity, rendering jobs at larger studios.. are most jobs available in this area night time jobs?

If some are day jobs I guess the new guy gets the night shift right? :)

Captain Obvious
08-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Que?

Exception
08-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Someone's been staring at the render panel too long.
What's 'this area'? My office? Then I'd say, yes.

Surrealist.
08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
"in this area" means line of work i.e. "the render guy". Is it a night time gig? Is the question basically.

adamredwoods
08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes. I know several people who started in the field doing this.

But... if you stick with it and are aggressive to move into any open positions, this is a great way to get your foot in the door.

inquisitive
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Que?

heh not too obivious for Captain Obvious? :)

inquisitive
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
"in this area" means line of work i.e. "the render guy". Is it a night time gig? Is the question basically.

yes, I see all sorts of jobs available at different studios and from time to time i see rendering type jobs, that do not state in the description they are night time jobs, but when do little / large companies do renders? however maybe there are daytime jobs. I dont know.

JamesCurtis
08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm self employed as a 3D artist/modeler/animator. For the most part I try to render at night simply because it allows me to model and animate during the day. It's also nice to be able to charge for something like render time even when sleeping!

adamredwoods
08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
yes, I see all sorts of jobs available at different studios and from time to time i see rendering type jobs, that do not state in the description they are night time jobs, but when do little / large companies do renders? however maybe there are daytime jobs. I dont know.

Big companies render 24-7.

Dreamworks, ILM have day/night shifts.
I don't know about Pixar, but I'll bet they do.

JonW
08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I am self employed. I just render when I need to render, but if the render is going to take multiple hours and it’s late, I will obviously try to have it render overnight. It boils down to how many resources you have at hand and how far you are behind on the job.

Make sure you have a good UPS with extended batteries, I sometime feel I live in a third world country when it come to electricity, and there always seems to be a blackout during the end of a job. Nowadays I can survive two hours of blackout and also have a room light attached to see what I am doing.

One night I boiled just enough water for a small but strong cup of coffee, but I was desperate and was prepared to sacrifice 20 minutes of battery.

Also use some 5000k (kelvin) lighting at night, I find it helps keep you more awake than 3200k lighting.

kmacphail
08-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Big companies render 24-7.

Dreamworks, ILM have day/night shifts.
I don't know about Pixar, but I'll bet they do.

Studios would render 25-8 if they could.

Studios sometimes require more wranglers during the day shift to support Lighters, and when it comes to which shift the "new guy" is on, I find it's better to keep them on the day shift until they get some experience under their belts.

-K

inquisitive
08-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Thank you for all of your replies

Any of you working on that type of job? What is a 'typical' day like?
and does anybody have any idea of the payscale in the US for that (rough ballpark)?