PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new film camera!!

Tippsy
08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Hey I finally decided I needed a new video camera but dont want to pay over $4000. I dont need something insanely crazy but just something partially crazy the one that I really like the look of and am about to just buy it is the Panasonic AG-DVX100B. Just wanted to know if anybodys used this one and if its worth the money.
Also I have looked at a ton of diffrent websites for prices on this thing and cant tell which one to get when I have price ranges of brand new ones going from $950 to $2500 with all the same accesories. I dont know which ones are like scams or just dont work as well etc.

Really need some help and advice Thanks!!

ted
08-03-2008, 10:38 PM
The DVX is a great camera, but if you can go another grand you will have a camera that will record in EVERY format that any client want you to shoot in over the next SEVERAL years.
We recently picked up our second Panasonic HVX 200.
For now you can record on Mini-DV and as you get more budget you can use the P2 Cards or rent them when a client demands true HD video in 720 or 1080.

Long story cut short......Last month a client flew into California from New York and within 10 minutes we were told to shoot in 4 different formats. They were blown away that we had one camera that could do any "flavor" while they made up their mind.
We ended up shooting on Mini-DV and they called to say that was the best looking footage an independent has ever given them.
We are shooting with them again when they come to California this Thursday.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!
There are countless "fake" prices out there. If they are more than about 10% below "suggested retail" you better look really close or you can get burned.
I read other forums where weekly some guy couldn't resist a "great deal" and they got burned by gray market goods or incomplete cameras.
Gotta go but Best of luck.

G M D THREE
08-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Yep a lot of places that post low prices will tell you that the camera comes with no warranty and that its extra $ 400+ and that they cant sell it to you with out it, or some other bull story, its all a scam to get you to order from them. If its to good to be true, it mostly isn't.

ted is right get a cam that shoots HD and SD, as SD is a dying format. If you cant spare the $$$, get a second hand one. Good thing about buying used or refurbished stuff its that you can sell it mostly for the price you got it! If you buy new gear it looses its value as soon as you open the box. (that of course works with camera and photo gear, would not suggest the same with computers they are better new as they loose there total value in about 2 years)

Good luck. ///

G M D THREE
08-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Oh and as for your title: Buying a new film camera!!

Dude, you are buying a video camera not a film camera.
As the name suggest it, film cameras run with film. lol

///

Tippsy
08-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks so much Ted! Ya I am looking into it right now and would you say this is the best (for this kind of a price) for getting that real film/movie look?

And GMD sorry about the title but I guess u could say I am trying to buy a video camera that looks as close to a Film camera as possible (at this price lol)

rakker16mm
08-04-2008, 01:03 AM
That's cool,

I thought you meant a "Film" camera. LOL I'm selling one of my two Bolex H16 Rx3.

Verlon
08-04-2008, 01:34 AM
The panasonic does get rave reviews.

I couldn't go that high, but 'settled' for a Sony FX7 that I have been pleased with. I don't have to please clients (yet, anyway) or generate a specific format.

I have been able to beat retail by a LOT. It takes time and caution and research.

It kind of depends on how much time you can throw at it, and how willing you are to do so. If you want the no headache version, there's a couple of really reputable places (Safe Harbor still carry cameras?) and even a couple of guys in the video section of this forum who deal in such things.

I had all the time I wanted, so I went ebay route. I patiently bid and waited and waited until I got one they way I wanted it. Read negative feedbacks for who you want to buy from if you go this route (and note transaction prices if they are recent). No one please every customer every time for 25,000 sales. How negative feedback happens can be very telling.

Tippsy
08-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Ya I had originally looked into the sony FX1 which led me to looking at the FX7 which I thought looked really good but I usually prefer Panasonic and I liked the look of this one but I am not positive this is the one. I really want to just go to a store that has these cameras so I can mess with them but the closest is 3 hours away but I will just have to take the time sometime soon I guess.

The main thing I really want is just to get as close to that real movie quality as I can without spending the big bucks.

G M D THREE
08-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Ya I had originally looked into the sony FX1 which led me to looking at the FX7 which I thought looked really good but I usually prefer Panasonic and I liked the look of this one but I am not positive this is the one. I really want to just go to a store that has these cameras so I can mess with them but the closest is 3 hours away but I will just have to take the time sometime soon I guess.

The main thing I really want is just to get as close to that real movie quality as I can without spending the big bucks.

Movie quality is not really something a camera is responsible on its own.
Big movies have custom build sets that are extensively lighten, cameras with swappable lenses, and a professional crew that runs the whole show.

Just to get your moth watery check out: http://www.red.com/
This are some of the next-gen digital film cameras. They shoot raw files in up to 5k (4k is about 4 times the size of HD) at high frame rates and such. Red is making a 3k model that supposed to cost about 3k. The difference to video is that the raw files have a much bigger color depth similar to scanning film footage, that lets you do extensive post and color correction. The sensor of the camera is the size of 35 mm and when using cine style lenses you get the same DOF like a film camera. They use SS Memory cards and not tape as everything that goes to tape needs to be compressed to fit o there.

///

ted
08-04-2008, 10:00 PM
The HVX is highly Regarded for it's "Film Look".
Plus all flavors of the DVCPro codec are supported in VT and SpeedEDIT! :thumbsup:
Check out:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=54
There is some awesome information there on the HVX 200.

cresshead
08-04-2008, 10:47 PM
well i'm waiting for this to hit the streets....

http://www.red.com/nab/scarlet

http://www.red.com/skin/img/nab_2008/red_3k_scarlet_hero.png

Tippsy
08-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Those "red" cameras are crazy!! to bad I cant wait that long but I might have to pick one of those up too.

cohominous
08-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I can vouch for the HVX200's. We have two of them at work and they do have an amazing picture (especially for sub $10k cameras with multiple frame rates.)

If you want to approach a film look, for a little more you can add a lens adapter with prime lenses that will come very close to 16mm (or poor 35mm).

The DVX100 you mentioned is the predecessor to the HVX200 and has a great picture as well. But will you be happy in a year or two with an SD camera when for a little more you could have had a very robust HD camera?

Surrealist.
08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Interesting that the HVX 200 is still holding up. Been out of the loop. But I think a couple of nice HDV offerings have come out since that are also worth looking into. Take a look at the Canon Website. But I agree the format of the HVX 200 is really a better bet than any of the HDV cams. But, but, for the money, some of them look real interesting. Just depends on what you are going to do with it and how much control you can get away with having or not having and whether you can live with the HDV format.

Tippsy
08-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Ya I think I will go with the HVX 200 but until I buy it we will see! DUN DUN DUN!!

Surrealist.
08-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Good move. :thumbsup:

It was a big hit when it was released and apparently very well time tested.