PDA

View Full Version : lscript debug() command

Anti-Distinctly
08-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi all,
I'm using lscript on both mac and pc. I've always used the debug() command to check variables and I find it indispensable, but now whenever it is called, it just freezes LW entirely and I have to perform a force quit. Is this usual or something I should be reporting?

Luke

Anti-Distinctly
08-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Plus, I also get a crash when there is any kind of issues in the code. I get the usual runtime warning telling me what the problem is, then just the spinning umbrella. Forever. Force quit.
It's impossible to program.

evenflcw
08-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Did you try using the Check Syntax function in LSEditor? That's what I do first whenever a script refuses to even start running or I get an immediate crash (on Win32). The debugger will not be able to run the code with any syntactical errors around.

Anti-Distinctly
08-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't usually, but I'll start using it I think. I'm on the latest beta now and it doesn't seem to crash as often.

Now, I'm just being told that raytrace is an invalid object method...

evenflcw
08-05-2008, 07:09 AM
I didn't say use LSEditor, I said use that function (only). Given it's history and recent use, I wouldn't use it for more than a minute at a time. For convenience use something that detects file changes, such as Notepad++. I usually write scripts in NP++ and only momentarily edit with LSEditor if some error occurs that I am unable to find in NP++. NP++ will detect if a file was resaved outside of it's contexts and ask to update what it has loaded. So swapping between the two works pretty well.

Raytrace, I assume your working with surfaces then? I have no experience with that unfortunatly.

Anti-Distinctly
08-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah, it's a bug apparently. Both the illuminate and raytrace functions have been broken for years or so I'm informed. Which does not fill me with confidence.
I'll definitely get another editor. I used Context on the pc, not sure if there is a mac version...