PDA

View Full Version : Overlapping trees from Vue5

sonofmickel
08-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I am having trouble with geometry not rendering. I have exported some trees and plants from Vue5 Infinite and loaded them into my scene. You can see on the right side of the pic that the orange tree lets blue sky through behind it. There should be the rest of the green tree there. Also on the left side there is some underbrush that is allowing sky to show through. There a about 5 big leafy objects back there that do not render. You can also see that the same phenomenon is happening to the trees on the left. Where a tree overlaps, no render takes place behind.

The foliage is these areas should be dense!

sonofmickel
08-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Oops!

Giacomo99
08-02-2008, 04:57 PM
You might do well to try isolating the problem.

Try doing a test with one transparency-mapped object (that you are sure is set up correctly) in front of another. If the rear one isn't rendering (as seems to be the case here) then start looking for the cause of that--possible causes I can think of are are single vs. double-sided surfaces and raytraced vs. non-raytraced transparency. Also, there were some problems with Classic vs. Perspective Camera in this area--you might want to try varying the camera type and see if that solves it.

sonofmickel
08-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Looks like it may be the camera type. Nothing but Classic Camera respects overlapping alphas it seems. It also seems that I will have to wait at least another half hour for this to render now! It was only taking about 4 minutes with advanced or real camera selected. Classic camera takes forever!

Spoke too soon, the render time just jumped to 49 minutes! Gotta uncheck that radiosity.

Whoa! Just jumped to 1h 26m and still climbing!