PDA

View Full Version : Should there be more than one LW?

wacom
07-29-2003, 12:24 PM
It seems with all of this talk of what is missing out of Lightwave, and what other apps have, I was wondering what people would think if Lightwave came in two flavors? It seems every competing program has this option- IE the expensive “unlimited” and something like an ambiguous, often bogus “complete”.

Personally I would find it almost a-moral (if there is such a thing with software companies and money) for LW to have two flavors (a average “joe” version and a “pro” version) as making the most complete 3D package out of the box, for the least amount of money, seems to be NT’s battle cry. I’m also of the persuasion that plug-ins and running more than one app isn’t a bad thing, and that most of peoples concerns can be addressed so. Need a LW render upgrade? Why not get G2? Want kick *** physics? Get Impact! Need the best nurbs under $2,000 can buy? Get Rhino 3D (try the demo and do a few projects in it--- http://www.rhino3d.com/). Why do I like this method? Because it keeps me from paying for stuff I don’t need so I can put the money towards what I DO need. I feel that if it was a choice between the “lame package” and the “oh my god I’m in heaven and in debt up to my gazooie” I’d die or have to go and work for Pixar as the coffee boy. I like choices and feel that a good plug-in isn’t a bad thing. Now an SDK…

This isn’t a flame I was just wanting to know how people feel about this as it’s a marketing strategy that has worked for every other major 3D package. It’s kind of like famous universities who have crappy undergraduate programs that pay for the fabulous graduate programs making the headlines. Get the masses with the lowbrow, support the highbrow with the funds and use it for marketing to complete the cycle…

This isn’t also to say that there shouldn’t be some core changes to LW.

My two cents…which are devalued by the minute…

hrgiger
07-30-2003, 11:03 AM
Newtek's credo has always been to provide powerful tools that even an artist can afford. To make a high end higher priced version of Lightwave goes against this. You leave people with the basic version wanting for more, not to mention the fear of alienating them because you have development split between the two apps.

meshmaster
07-31-2003, 10:35 AM
it'd probably end up causing layout and modeler to be two different programs ...

Global Hawk
07-31-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Newtek's credo has always been to provide powerful tools that even an artist can afford.

Ditto! Plus I like to think about how I have the same program that ILM has! They do use it from time to time!:D

lone
08-01-2003, 10:45 AM
there can be only one...

Zafar Iqbal
08-01-2003, 05:37 PM
No, NewTek should use theire recourses to improve a single edition of LW.

harhar
08-02-2003, 08:45 AM
G2 doesn't really improve renderer... It';s a workflow tool.

phrick
08-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by harhar
G2 doesn't really improve renderer... It';s a workflow tool.

Please.. To say that G2 doesn't improve the renderer is just bullsh*t.
(It also offers a faster workflow, I won't argue with that...)

Rich
08-02-2003, 03:37 PM
I think Newtek already has made a lightwave lite version in the past. Doesn't anyone remember Inspire 3d? I know it hasn't been updated since the LW 5.6 days. I wonder if they will ever update it with features that are contained in a more current version of Lightwave.