PDA

View Full Version : How do you mac people stand it.

Andyjaggy
08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
How do you mac people stand it?

Why do my buttons in Lightwave consistently stop working? In the Image view after something renders I go to view the last layer and nothing, the button has once again decided to just freeze up. Then I go to save all my objects and all the buttons on the right hand side of lightwave decide they don't want to work either. The program is still working just fine, except for the buttons. they just decide to randomly go on a vacation for ten minutes or so.

And yes I have my hub zipped up and shut off.

archijam
08-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Is this that click on another app and then come back and the problem is gone bug?

Haven't had that one in ages. 9.31 ?

Andyjaggy
08-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Sometimes I click on another app and then come back and it is better, but sometimes about 60% of the time that still doesn't work. Talking to someone else and they said they have the same problem with Maya, so perhaps it is just a mac thing, further confirming my personal opinion that............ Oh never mind I'll keep it to myself. :)

archijam
08-01-2008, 01:43 PM
How's your asian temple/castle/thingy entry coming along ... you are entering that comp, right?:devil:

Andyjaggy
08-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Oh man, I just got married a month ago, and I honestly haven't touched it since I first got engaged. I really wanted to finish and enter it, but alas, things have changed a bit. I
ll get around to finishing it hopefully pretty soon, it's on the top of my project list.

archijam
08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
:tcicon::tcicon: (rings, not tricaster icons ;))

before

:lwicon:

then

:jam:

Andyjaggy
08-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Pretty much. :)

I've talked to her about having dedicated lightwave time every week though. :) Might have a good 5 hour chunk on Saturdays to do my personal projects. :)

RollerJesus
08-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I've talked to her about having dedicated lightwave time every week though. Might have a good 5 hour chunk on Saturdays to do my personal projects.

I'm fighting that battle now. Getting married in September and just installed LW on her iMac.

DANGER! DANGER!

Andyjaggy
08-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah I would never go back to being single, but......... I do miss lightwave sometimes. Im trying to explain to her this base need I have to create stuff, I have lists of stuff I want to make running around in the back of my head, and not being able to do it is a little nerve racking sometimes.

BarkingTreefrog
08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey Andy,
Just wait 'til kids come. I think I get Lightwave time at home maybe an hour a week, if I'm lucky. But like you said, I wouldn't change it for the world. Kids are the greatest (most of the time ;) )

And about the Mac thing, I haven't ever had trouble with the buttons not working. And I have the Hub on. So I don't know what to tell you there.

Andyjaggy
08-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I try not to think about kids yet. We've got a couple years before we decide to do that.

Anyway...... I guess it's just my lightwave then. It's really driving me nuts though, it kind of comes and goes as well, I have been able to pinpoint when and why it happens.

Andyjaggy
08-01-2008, 04:29 PM
It's doing it again. Arrrrggggghhhhhh. This is quickly driving me nuts and reminds me why I usually work in windows.

Hopper
08-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I've learned that if you can create a nice "room" model once in a while with some colors she might like or some nice furniture and say "Here honey, how do you like this? Would you like these colors?" She will then see the benefits of LW and leave you alone a little bit more :D

It worked for me ... however, the unfortunate bi-product of this is unnecessary arch-viz projects and large furniture purchases.

Chilton
08-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Andy,

Can you give me a little more info on when this happens, and what the specs are on the system it's happening on?

Thanks,
-Chilton

shrox
08-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah I would never go back to being single, but......... I do miss lightwave sometimes. Im trying to explain to her this base need I have to create stuff, I have lists of stuff I want to make running around in the back of my head, and not being able to do it is a little nerve racking sometimes.

Better than a base need to be a drunkard and cash your paycheck at the stripper bar. She should be very appreciative!

Andyjaggy
08-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I meant to say I haven't been able to pinpoint when it happens.

My system specs though are a quaq intel powermac, with an ATI Radeon X9600, 8 gigs of ram, running 10.4, with the latest updates I think. Version 9.3.1, haven't tried the OB on the mac side yet, so I'm not sure if the issue still remains.

Kuzey
08-02-2008, 07:22 AM
I reported something similar on the beta forums, where everything on the UI would freeze and yet you were still able to work. It took me awhile to notice nothing on the UI was getting updated....silly me.

I hope that's not too much information about the beta :hey:

Kuzey

toby
08-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I meant to say I haven't been able to pinpoint when it happens.

My system specs though are a quaq intel powermac, with an ATI Radeon X9600, 8 gigs of ram, running 10.4, with the latest updates I think. Version 9.3.1, haven't tried the OB on the mac side yet, so I'm not sure if the issue still remains.

So it could be a problem with emulation? I hear that Newtek isn't supporting issues with that - I'm not surprised there's little bugs either

JeffrySG
08-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I think I've found that if I command tab out then back it's the best way to fix this issue when it happens.

Andyjaggy
08-03-2008, 04:39 PM
No not emulation, I just meant that it might be possible that it is fixed in 9.5, but I haven't run 9.5 on the mac.

toby
08-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh I thought you wrote "I haven't tried UB" instead of OB.
You're having this problem with the Universal Binary LW right? I think that's where it happens anyway.

Andyjaggy
08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Yep in it's in the UB.

G M D THREE
08-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Are you using the hub? Hub is really buggy on the mac site specially UB version. We are a all mac studio and I had to trash the hub after installing LW on all machines as it causes mad lag.

I'f noticed all together two UI random situations. In one you cant type in any of the numeric field in the main window, usually unlocked by hitting t or y by choosing a tool. The other after a render, UI seems not to work, but mostly it is actually working just invisible where you don't see pulldown menus and such. Usually fixed by clicking on a other app. If noticed that one of my animators suffers way more under that problem than I do. It happens to me about 5% in a working day and its not fatal.

Did you try downloading and reinstalling LW?

I don't think its a mac bug. Rather a glitch in the UB LW as the Newtek LW mac team had to pull a arm and a lag to make it happen from what I remember. So in a way it is Apple to blame for switching to intel processors causing major pain in the programing community for a while ; )

That sad LW UB on a Mac Pro dual or quad core just rocks, most PC don't even know what to do with 8 processor and the majority of apps on Windows use only one. Coming from a PC you will feel uncomfortable for a while. Not having to run updates and anti virus twice a day to keep it running. Discover that you can actually work in PSD while LW is rendering at the same time. Not having to instal drivers for every bit of hardware you plug in. But most of all, a mac wont treat you like a idiot telling that you just plugged in your mouse, pop op random coded messages, asking you to click OK so it keeps running or preform a auto-update and automatically restart on its own letting your wonder what happened to your render overnight.

///

redlum
08-13-2008, 07:52 AM

Women can be very selfish sometimes. My brother seems to have hit the jack pot. His wife understands that he, being a musician, needs time to do music.

Some women marry and then expect their men to give up everything for them. This either leads to a very unhappy life for the man or an early divorce. Either way the woman makes out like a bandit.

I guess the lesson is to have this discussion before you get married. maybe get it in writing so there are no surprises when the man wants to spend time creating.

I guess the other lesson is that when you give her a ring, don't attach it to your family jewels. :-)

Caveboy
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Sometimes I click on another app and then come back and it is better, but sometimes about 60% of the time that still doesn't work. Talking to someone else and they said they have the same problem with Maya, so perhaps it is just a mac thing, further confirming my personal opinion that............ Oh never mind I'll keep it to myself. :)

I think I run into a similar problem. (now I can't remember if its with 9.5 - I know its definitely a new thing). But after a render , or if I leave fro a long time and return, I try and select the buttons and they don't work. Sometime they open and pop up a menu, but the hilight is not visible. So if I move my mouse above the button, like an offset, I might get a command. It depends on how far I click above or below the button. I sometimes have to save the files using the Mac menu at the top (not LWs menu). Then I quit and restart so it will work.

Is this the same problem?

adamredwoods
08-21-2008, 06:58 PM

This is a Mac thing.

It happens in Photoshop all the time. Click on another app then click back on LW.

Andyjaggy
08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
I've also noticed that sometimes I can't even get an application to open back up. I run photoshop in the background and when I try to go back to it sometimes it won't open, it shows it still running, but for the life of me no matter what I try I can't get the interface to come back up. I finally have to force quit and then open it back up.

ajah
09-08-2008, 06:22 PM
I find I have to completely restart about every two hours to clear it up. It's a real drag. Any ideas?

yaschan
09-18-2008, 05:46 PM
I guess the lesson is to have this discussion before you get married. maybe get it in writing so there are no surprises when the man wants to spend time creating.

You know it's funny, because recently I've been thinking exactly like this. I got married in March, and I have to say, comparing to my single life, of course there are some limitations. Now I actually have to clean the house and clean away the empty pizza boxes around my computer, because another human being lives here.
Sometimes I just wish I'd have more time on my own. But then, my wife encourages me always try more hard. If time doesn't permit otherwise, I will do it while my wife sleeps, when the house is quiet. And I listen music with my earphones.
But then, creating movies, footage, and graphic design is what I consider as my job, and my wife knows it. Although it doesn't always give such stable flow of money, it doesn't change the fact that it's my job. I have already discovered that I can't do another thing than creative job, and that's where I've invested so much time and money. And then I have to say, I haven't done so bad financially so far, although my works are low profile website animations, stock footage, etc. It's kind of my style, my own pace. I have never been interested of joining competitions really.
But now that I've made investment to Lightwave, (It's coming to me soon!) I'm really excited what it has to offer to my creative life. I truly look forward it.

What I want to say is that we are who we are, my fellow artists. Let's impress our wives and husbands with amazing stuff we make! And I'm sure they encourage us to do just more and more! :thumbsup: