PDA

View Full Version : Modeler select object question and size issues

virtualcomposer
08-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm more of a Layout person then a Modeler person so I don't work in Modeler as much. One problem that I have is once I create an object and click on something so that the object is not originally selected anymore, I can seem to select the object as a whole and have to mess with the polygons so if I want to resize it, I can't select the whole thing to do it. It's frustrating. Another thing to, if I initially size the object, say, 5km, when I send it to Layout, the original size is gone and it's now only 1m. I know there must be a simple way of doing this. Do you know?

Wrap
08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
If you deselect the whole thing then in effect it is all selected and you can resize the whole thing without having any polys selected if that makes sense.

as to switching between modeler and layout, are you saving the object before sending it to layout?

virtualcomposer
08-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I always save it and then either send it to layout or open it up from layout but it always defaults to 1m. In Modeler when it is deselected, I tried to hit "numeric" at the bottom and it comes up blank because the object is not selected.

RudySchneider
08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Regardless of whether you have something selected or not, the numeric panel will remain blank until you have a valid tool selected. And like Wrap said, having nothing (no points, edges, or polygons) selected is equivalent to having the entire object selected. So, once you select resize object ("H" hotkey), for instance, the numeric panel should be available to resize the entire object.

toby
08-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Are you *sure* it's 1m? Layout will change it's grid size to accommodate large objects, so just looking at the grid squares can be deceiving.

Surrealist.
08-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm more of a Layout person then a Modeler person so I don't work in Modeler as much. One problem that I have is once I create an object and click on something so that the object is not originally selected anymore, I can seem to select the object as a whole and have to mess with the polygons so if I want to resize it, I can't select the whole thing to do it. It's frustrating. Another thing to, if I initially size the object, say, 5km, when I send it to Layout, the original size is gone and it's now only 1m. I know there must be a simple way of doing this. Do you know?

There is also the select connected key "]". That will select everything connected.

Most of the modeler modify tools have a fall off option. So if you are in the Size tool for example set the fall off to Point Radial. Then in the radius make it astronomically larger than the object and you can click on a point in the object and resize it. If you have many "objects" (contiguous mesh) in a layer this is one way to size each one separately without selection.