PDA

View Full Version : Live Stream unavailable for Mac Users

Zarathustra
07-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Nice job, NT. You guys just continually come up with new ways to torture the Mac users.

FYI - Windows Media Player 7 is what's available for Mac. No 9.

Perhaps RealMedia would have been nice?
Something a bit more cross-platform compatible? You know, the way Lightwave is supposed to be?

policarpo
07-29-2003, 12:24 PM
oh stop your whining and get a cheap and fast PC. they only cost $300 or $400.

jeez.

stef
07-29-2003, 12:31 PM
You are right Policarpo, let's dump Apple. This is what logically stems from your "brilliant" advice. And then guess what?
Apple will do the same thing they have done with Premiere - will ask for LW CD+dongle and send us free Luxology MODO.

That's the way to go, no?

Zarathustra
07-29-2003, 12:31 PM

jeez.

Gee, just when I was starting to like you.

Thanks for the helpful contribution.

policarpo
07-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by stef
You are right Policarpo, let's dump Apple. This is what logically stems from your "brilliant" advice. And then guess what?
Apple will do the same thing they have done with Premiere - will ask for LW CD+dongle and send us free Luxology MODO.

That's the way to go, no?

you see things too black and white. i never said anything of the sort. i was providing a solution...

i am currently working on my PowerBook while my PC is streaming the show. I have 2 monitors...

i exist in harmony with my technology...

can't type...soft body dynamics now being shown...WOW!!!

Zarathustra
07-29-2003, 12:39 PM
i was providing a solution...

Yes, of course you were.

stef
07-29-2003, 12:48 PM
I was sarcastic Poli, and cannot believe YOU have made such a [silly] advice in earnest. Teasing now about LW8 new soft body engine may not do too much good either, since lots of people are only upset and more interested in using modeller than layout anyhow, which is lame, no matter what, compared to other apps.
Then I shall not spend $300-400 on a new and otherwise useless hardware (I like the one I own now) and rather use it against iMODO. Adding $495 for LW8 I intended to purchase from you (NT) - and can have a better solution for my Mac.
This is a serious matter to start treating the MacOSX platform as it deserves, otherwise all you will have is to play with LW8 for years to come...

m_luscombe
07-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Feeling screwed, but interested anyway, I turned on my PC to watch.

"Lets take a look at some dynamics, I'll just hit play..."

*nothing happens for a full minute*

"Wow, wasn't that amazing?"

The video isn't good for anybody, even on 1 meg DSL.

I'm gonna go back to work on my mac now. Does anyone have a link to the lengthy post detailing what a FU last years stream was, and what lengths NT would go to to make it available to Mac users? Windows Media? That was the solution?

Policarpo. $400 to watch a video? That's a solution?

Kurt_Henning
07-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Hmm

I don't have a mac, but our mac clients can DL the microsoft media player and use the .wmv files we create.

will this no longer work?

I sent wmvs to a client just last week and they worked

OR is this just for streaming?

I know that real wold be more compatible, but I think the video quality is worse that with wmp

ymmv

Zarathustra
07-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Sorry, Kurt. You apparently NEED WMP9 for this stream.

Kansas, huh? GO CHIEFS!

Zarathustra
07-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Perhaps as a compromise, NT could post recordings of the demos? Preferably in a cross-platform format?

Comically, a lot of PC users are complaining about trouble viewing the stream due to heavy traffic and what not.

cagey5
07-29-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm watching it in WMP 8. I just clicked on the 'View stream in external player' link

Orange
07-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Hey Policarpo, maybe you post news about.Thanks.

policarpo
07-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Sure thing...

The new dyanmics engine is damn fast and easy to set up.

Here's what was shown:
1. Tear cloth with a collision object
2. Sew cloth back up
3. Control vertices for those nasty parts that fold on top of each other. Can be applied on a per keyframe basis or throughout the entire animation
4. This can be controlled with an area of influence sphere, so you can grab large areas.
5. Particles are truly live in the viewports...if a particle goes astray, just select that point and delete it. You can control the points that generate particles.
6. Bones are influenced by collision objects. They showed the Zombie character being punched by a glove and it was reacting in real time. Calculation was super fast
7. A rigged character was shown hovering above a Wind Object and it was floating and reacting to the wind.
8. FK/IK is all switchable on the fly
9. Rigging is super fast and easy to set up now...
10. Dealing with IK/FK is all a right click affair now...no annoying panels and dialogue windows.
11. Copy and Paste of one half of the body set up works great...(could mean creating a master rig and applying this master rig to all your characters and just use Ortho to adjust your bones to fit).
12. Showed an octopus character who's tentacles were set up in 30 seconds with full IK that reacted in to a collision object (sat on top of a sphere)

feel free to copy and paste this stuff elsewhere.

LW8 is going to be nice guys. i think a lot of us will benefit solely on the animation front like never before. The bones seem really fast...so MB may not have to be part of our arsenal.

i'll post more as i see more. :)

Orange
07-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks. Keep them coming

Earl
07-29-2003, 02:14 PM
I've got to reiterate what Poli has said: all of the demo'd features were FAST. Really really FAST. The ease at which the IK chains were set up was impressive - even Proton could do it! ;)

Although Modeler hasn't received much attention with this update, it's still well worth the upgrade (IMO). I truly believe that their development speed is going to be increased dramatically as well (compared to the long delay between 7.0 to 8.0) - and that Modeler will get it's due share of attention shortly (8.x).

Lewis
07-29-2003, 02:20 PM
I'am looking it at WM Player 6.4 at Windows NT 4.0 (they don't support WMP 7.0 or above) and i see picture and hear sound. Picture is choopy but i'am on 64k link so anything of streams is choppy at that slow connection :). I understud tha toyu need WMP9 if you want to look at separate window out of WEB broweser ?

Hervé
07-29-2003, 02:22 PM
it's late here.... I am watching it, but very choppy, server is dying or what ?? more chances tomorrow

dynamics look a lot of fun though.....

luka
07-29-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by policarpo

jeez.

Hey maybe you could forward this link to the streaming guy and install quicktime 6.3 pro with streaming and webcast for only $29.99:D

Quicktime 6.3 (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qtss/)

erk
07-29-2003, 03:31 PM
It's not uncommon at trade shows for the live streaming to have only been tested only on one platform. That said I would still have used a Quicktime Darwin Streaming Server as it's available for Windows, Mac, Linux, SPARC , the best bit being it's opensource.

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/streaming/

policarpo
07-29-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by erk
It's not uncommon at trade shows for the live streaming to have only been tested only on one platform. That said I would still have used a Quicktime Darwin Streaming Server as it's available for Windows, Mac, Linux, SPARC , the best bit being it's opensource.

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/streaming/

my guess is that it is a VT issue more than anything...and what type of real time data they can throw through it. they know WMV works and works well for a large majority of users and this type of stuff doesn't come cheap...

i know that whenever there's a Mac World, the Keynote plays well for a few minutes and then starts to choke. I don't think there's any one good solution for streaming. I'm just glad we have the option...regardless of the frustration we sometimes feel...i know we all just want to see the video and be content...

hopefully they'll post videos showcasing the things they featured at the show...let's hope so so everyone get's a chance to see the cool stuff...

it's all very cool and i think we all will be very happy with 8....OSX and PC alike...:)

policarpo
07-29-2003, 04:23 PM
i tried recording a few minutes with Camtasia, but it looks like the live streaming codec prevents recording from occurring.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this?

I have some hard drive space free. :)

Jimzip
07-30-2003, 06:38 AM
Thanks for trying Policarpo.
Yeah, maybe NT could put up some of the videos for us to watch if you can't get it going..

>Still excited about getting LW 8!!!<

Jimzip :D