PDA

View Full Version : Does Modeler crash on you mac users???

virtualcomposer
08-01-2008, 09:26 AM
hey everyone, my computer specs are in my quote portion. I've noticed that Modeler crashes on me at times. I was trying to create a layered 3D text in a special font and every time I switched to that font, Modeler would totally dissapear and then I would have to restart. Never have a problem in Layout though. Would my graphics card have anything to do with it?

BlueApple
08-01-2008, 09:44 AM
I doubt it's the graphics card. Does this occur only when using your special font? Does it occur with other fonts?

If the font is the culprit, a work around may be to create your text in a different application, convert it to an .eps and import it that way. Not ideal, but it may get the job done.

If the problem seems to be with Modeler and not the font feel free to let Newtek know about the issue. Send them content and the problem font with a description of what's happening.

Good luck.

virtualcomposer
08-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Yes, only on certain fonts and also when I close it "sometimes", it won't close properly and ask me to send an error message to Newtek. Strange.

gschrick
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I've had problems with some fonts in modeler. If you have Adobe Illustrator I find it is easier to type up you text in that, convert the type to outlines, save it as an illustrator 8 file and then import it in to modeler.

It's an extra step, but I've never crashed the modeler with that. Especially if it's a font that the modeler has trouble with. Converting it to a vector file will eliminate any funky problems associated with that particular font.

Giacomo99
08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
You haven't mentioned your system specs, but 9.3.1 is incredibly unstable and buggy under Leopard. You might wish to enroll in the 9.5 Open Beta program--the 9.5 betas are vastly faster and more reliable.

rakker16mm
08-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Modeler crashes quite frequently on my Mac I am sorry to say. Fonts are particularly troublesome, but I suspect that often has a lot more to do with the quality of the font rather than a problem with modeler. Some fonts are downright dangerous. If you can delete the font and reinstall it Font Book may give you a compatibility warning. I am assuming of course that Font Book is still a part of the OS in 10.5.

By the way, I am running 9.3.1 on Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, 7 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.4.11

gerry_g
08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Not all fonts are equal, it may be a bitmap font, these do not load, it may have a Font ID identical to another active font, a common cause of program crashes

Chilton
08-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi,

The problem with some third party fonts is that they sometimes contain 'illegal' font data, which in turn results in entirely messed up font data heading off to our app. Other times, a basic conversion fails, and we miss it.

If it's the former problem, we can't really always catch that. If it's the latter, it's a bug, and we really should catch it. That said, at least two font issues that I know of on the Mac are fixed in 9.5.

-Chilton

virtualcomposer
08-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all of the input. Yeah, the only issue I have with 9.5 beta is that I have allot of projects and the open beta only gives you 14 days. Is there a way to not have this effect my work?

virtualcomposer
08-04-2008, 09:39 AM
also, can I use my existing 9.3.1 projects in the beta without losing anything?

BlueApple
08-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Beta testing any software comes with risks that can vary in severity.

"My system clock doesn't display the correct time anymore."
"I lost all my work in this project."
"My computer caught fire and exploded."

It's up to you to do a risk vs. benefit calculation.

If you're in 9.5 open beta you should post those specific questions in the open beta forum.