PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.5 and Leopard

MaxB
08-01-2008, 07:39 AM
I am still using LW 8.5 on OS 10.3 (Panther). I am thinking to upgrade to 10.5 (Leopard), I suppose LW 8.5 won't work on Leopard, correct?
Thanks
Massimo

BeeVee
08-01-2008, 09:18 AM
It should work - it does here.

B

4dartist
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I'll work but it will run in rosetta. In my experience that means, it will be pretty normal in terms of modeling/animating/openGL, but render times will slow down to about 75% of what they were. It may be more or less for you, that was running 9 in rosetta on my intel-mac 8core.

Either way, if it's not universal binary, or intel-mac friendly then OSx will just emulate the powerpc environment (rosetta), which sacrificed a little performance, but rostetta seems to be extremely good at what it does.

If you want to see what is running in Universal or Rosetta, you can hit 'about this mac' and click 'applications' on the far right it will least each app and it's status. (in leopard)

meshpig
08-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Enter sheepshaver...

http://theappleblog.com/2006/07/01/classic-on-intel-macs-courtesy-of-sheepshaver/

Run Classic, OS 9.1, 8 ,7 on intel if you still have the discs in your bottom drawer.

m

MaxB
08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Thank you!

toby
08-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I'll work but it will run in rosetta. In my experience that means, it will be pretty normal in terms of modeling/animating/openGL, but render times will slow down to about 75% of what they were. It may be more or less for you, that was running 9 in rosetta on my intel-mac 8core.

Either way, if it's not universal binary, or intel-mac friendly then OSx will just emulate the powerpc environment (rosetta), which sacrificed a little performance, but rostetta seems to be extremely good at what it does.

If you want to see what is running in Universal or Rosetta, you can hit 'about this mac' and click 'applications' on the far right it will least each app and it's status. (in leopard)
Eh? If you upgrade to Leopard with PPC chips it will run things under emulation? ( he didn't say he was upgrading hardware )

MaxB
08-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Correct, I am not planning to upgrade the hardware at this stage. I should have clarified that, I have an old dual 1.8 PPC G5. My understanding following the above replays is that LW 8.5 should run on Leopard (hopefully).

4dartist
08-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Oh... ya, silly me. You wouldn't have to worry about rosetta or intel anything then. Cool. So ya, lightwave should run fine I would say.

marco polozzi
08-10-2008, 04:09 AM
So, ... can anybody confirm whether or not LW 8.5 can be run in Leopard on a Mac Pro (2 quad xeon processors)? Thanks!

Glendalough
08-10-2008, 06:24 AM
So, ... can anybody confirm whether or not LW 8.5 can be run in Leopard on a Mac Pro (2 quad xeon processors)? Thanks!

Runs fine here and considerably faster than (my) old G5.

marco polozzi
08-10-2008, 07:04 AM
That's great news!! Approximately how much of a speed hit are you taking compared to when you don't run it in Rosetta (i.e. when it runs in Tiger)?

Giacomo99
08-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Approximately how much of a speed hit are you taking compared to when you don't run it in Rosetta (i.e. when it runs in Tiger)?

The speed hit is a big one, and it crashes a lot. If you possibly can, upgrade to LW 9.5 (currently in Open Beta)--the improvements in performance and stability are enormous.

In general, I think it's a bad idea to be running anything as complex and processor-dependent as 3D software in Rosetta--you're just asking for misery if you do.

Glendalough
08-10-2008, 08:53 AM
That's great news!! Approximately how much of a speed hit are you taking compared to when you don't run it in Rosetta (i.e. when it runs in Tiger)?

It's hard to make a direct comparison as there is no 8 core G5. I can only compare it to a single processor G5 PPC.

LW 8 and 9.2 (CMF, PPC -running in Rosetta on Mac Pro) actually run 4 times faster on the 8 core Mac Pro so this would be maybe same speed roughly as G5 quad. When running natively, 9.2 on G5 and 9.3 on Mac Pro, I get a stunning 16 times speed increase, but that is 8 processors to one, not a fair comparison. So, suppose that the Pro Mac is roughly twice the speed of the G5 all things being equal, -but they're not. Lightwave 9.3 UB seems to run better on the intel machines and is better optimized or something than 9.2.

But maybe you should consider 9 as this is going to run much better on a multi-core machine than 8. This because (among other things) the new Perspective Camera (same view as original classic camera) threads in a more efficient manner and can finish a render considerably faster. This is my long winded run down, am sure people here with the newer G5 quads could tell you more.

Glendalough
08-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Approximately how much of a speed hit are you taking compared to when you don't run it in Rosetta (i.e. when it runs in Tiger)?
In general, I think it's a bad idea to be running anything as complex and processor-dependent as 3D software in Rosetta--you're just asking for misery if you do.

(Hi there Giacomo99)

Actually in my experience, LW 8x is remarkably stable and never crashes on the Mac Pro in Leopard. It also starts up much faster than all the later versions even though it is running in Rosetta. On the other hand it is a very simple or much less complex (smaller?) program than LW 9x.

marco polozzi
08-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the comparison. That helps.

I guess what I am wondering now--given the post that preceded yours--is whether or not running 8.5 on the duo quad xeon architecture using leopard (10.5.5) is relatively stable, or if there's crashing that seems unique or excessive given this software/hardware configuration?

Glendalough
08-10-2008, 09:21 AM

I guess what I am wondering now--given the post that preceded yours--is whether or not running 8.5 on the duo quad xeon architecture using leopard (10.5.5) is relatively stable, or if there's crashing that seems unique or excessive given this software/hardware configuration?

Categorically, exactly, I couldn't really vouch as am now working solely in 9.2 and 9.3 pretty much. But any old LW 8x files that I have had to use and render in 8x have been no bother. Can test anything if you want to post.

marco polozzi
08-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks Glendalough!!! That's really helpful info. I'm hoping to be able to run 8.5 for a while on the Mac Pro and make the upgrade (i.e. spend the $$$) to 9.xx later. Your post has given me the hope that might actually happen! Much appreciated. Have a good Sunday!

ingo
08-11-2008, 01:38 AM

Well i am on a MacMini on 10.5 and Layout is always crashing while Modeller is running fine so far.

Fletchman
09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Folks,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i am having issues with 8.5. I am using a Macbook Pro Core2Duo 2.26ghz 4 gigs Ram with Snow Leopard. I installed 8 on it and it works fine. Updated to 8.5 and every time i launch either Layout or Modeler it just freezes and will not load properly. Any ideas on a solution? I tried searching all the forums but no luck on a resolution. Thanks

BeeVee
09-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Snow Leopard doesn't install the Rosetta PowerPC emulation by default, which will be needed to run LightWave 8.5. If you upgrade to LightWave 9 there is a Universal Binary version that won't have this problem (and a 64-bit version in the works now that OS X is fully 64-bit). I believe you can download the Rosetta emulator from Apple though?

B

ingo
09-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Hmm, thats odd. If 8 runs fine 8.5 should do too. I use it with 10.5 and it takes huge amounts of memory, especially with FPrime, but it works with smaller objects.

If you dont need 10.6 just go back to 10.5 until you saved money for the upgrade to 9 and the fixed 9.6 for 10.6 is out.

Fletchman
09-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Snow Leopard doesn't install the Rosetta PowerPC emulation by default, which will be needed to run LightWave 8.5. If you upgrade to LightWave 9 there is a Universal Binary version that won't have this problem (and a 64-bit version in the works now that OS X is fully 64-bit). I believe you can download the Rosetta emulator from Apple though?

B
Hi beevee,

Thanks for the reply

I did install the rosetta that came with snow leopard but it seems that it doesnt work. I may upgrade next month. or get something else coz although the promise of CORE is alluring, it seems 9.6 has its share of issues and not a lot of plugins for mac. I willl have to see