PDA

View Full Version : Resurfacing polygons

Paul_Boland
07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Folks.

Sorry, not sure if this is the right forum to post this type of question.
I am working on a model in Modeler and part of the model is mirrored but will have different textures the same parts on the opposite side. So I model one part and then copy and paste it into a different layer, giving me the two identical parts. The only thing is, the second part has all the same surfaces as the first part.

I searched through the manal for a way to select polygons my suface name but can't find a way to do that. If I could, I could just select all the polygons for each surface and then apply a new surface to those parts.

The only way I can see to do it is to manuall select all the polygons of each surface and rename them but the modelled parts are complex and it would be a time consuming task so is there any easy way to do this? I want to apply a different surface to the same textured areas of the copied model in layer 2. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Lightwolf
07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Try this... copy the mirrored mesh to a new object and save that. Close all other objects except for the mirrored one.
Rename the surfaces using the texture editor. Then load the object of your original side back into modeler, copy and paste the mirrored mesh back.

Cheers,
Mike

BlueApple
07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Hit W with polygon selection mode enabled to open polygon statistics. "Surf: (none)" will appear towards the bottom of the list, grayed-out. Click on it, and there will be a drop down list of the surfaces on your object. Click the one you need, and then press the "+" to the left to select those polygons.

Good luck.

Nicolas Jordan
07-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Edit: Blue Apple ansewerd faster than me.

Lightwolf
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Hit W with polygon selection mode enabled to open polygon statistics. "Surf: (none)" will appear towards the bottom of the list, grayed-out. Click on it, and there will be a drop down list of the surfaces on your object. Click the one you need, and then press the "+" to the left to select those polygons.

D'oh, of course. And this is no problem if the current layer only contains the mirrored mesh.

You'd still need to manually copy the texture values over in this case though.

Cheers,
Mike

Paul_Boland
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
WOW!! Fast replies, I only posted this a minute ago. Thanks very much, I'll try these out.
:thumbsup:

Lightwolf
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
WOW!! Fast replies, I only posted this a minute ago.
Hehe, next time try asking something harder ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Marvin Miller
07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
If you open the Statistics Panel (w-key), there is an option to choose Surfaces there. Left-click on "Surf:" and it should pull up a menu with all of your surfaces. Select the surface you want, then click on the +/- on the left and it should select the polygons attributed to that surface. This usually works best when no polygons are selected.

Hope that helps!

Marvin Miller
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Dang you guys are fast! :lol:

Paul_Boland
08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks, guys, that worked great, much appreciated.