PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G: Quality Questions...

BlueApple
07-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Iíve been looking at an iPhone since the first model was released and almost got the new 3G model yesterday. That was until I heard about some of the dissatisfaction around the product. It sounds like the outcry surrounds three related factors:

1) The phone itself - battery life, signal strength, etc.
2) The new software. Many folks with the first model of the iPhone with the new software also seem to be displeased with it.
3) MobileMe - reports of people losing emails, contacts, etc.

Any happy 3G users out there? Would it be wiser to get the first model and not update the software until bugs are ironed out? All comments and advice are welcome.

ted
07-31-2008, 10:08 PM
I held off from the hype of the first iPhone. I'm not one to "follow the crowd" just because.
With the new capabilities of the new iPhone I felt it was ready and I got one.
This is a giant step for cell phone technology!

All applications are easy to use. The GPS is my favorite. I love the e-mail and have never had any problems.
I have heard of some people losing contacts but I know many have ended up being user error. Can't say what percentage though.
I also love some of the 3rd party apps. There is one that makes the phone a level for hanging stuff.
There is no end to how cool this is especially with all the cool apps.
It syncs on my PC as well with no problems.
Way faster, smarter and no problems yet.

Yeh, the signal strength isn't the best of any cell phone, but none of the other "smart phones" I've owned or seen have been any better than the new iPhone.
I miss having Video capture, but I hear there are 3rd party apps that will give it Video capture.
My GFX artist downloaded EVERY 3rd party applications and now complains about sluggishness. But that's what you get when you get stupid! :D
Just kidding Luke! :hey:

Overall, I'd give it a high rating with a thumbs up to those wondering if they should buy one. :thumbsup:
JMHO.

Cougar12dk
07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
I had a chance to try it out a month ago, when I was at a birthday party with some of my gf's parents friends. Their son was home from Russia (where he works) and he had brought his iPhone 3G with him and let me manhandle it for a while and I was sold. I want one as soon as my tele company gets it.

archijam
08-01-2008, 05:31 AM
I just got a 3G.

A few other issues that get to me (tho if there is a solve, hit me.. only had it a few days):

- No mms. You can send photos, but only as email.
- No turn-off-phone alarm. This is pretty standard on phones I've had, instead I have to leave it on, and risk getting called from OS.
- No copy and paste. My motorola handled this perfectly.
- Can't turn off dictionary mode.
- Changing keyboard (german for example) changes dictionary. Gr.
- Can't forward an sms.
- Can't forward a contact (there MUST be a way, but it's not obvious).

And just bad design decisions:
- No wide (turned) mode for sms.
- You can have many email accounts, but only 1 signature.
- It ONLY syncs through itunes. Sorry Linux users, go buy windows or mac OS.
- You HAVE to use itunes to put something on it. At least my iPod could also work as a drive. What's the 16 gigs good for if I'm not watching films?
- I haven't managed to get ANY avi or mov films onto it, only podcasts. Does that mean i can ONLY watch bought content from iTunes store.... ? Are you serious?

And PLEASE don't tell me to jailbreak, I shouldn't have to.

... Tho if it solves any othe above, and also works with software 2.0, I'm curious.

Otherwise, I'm a happy customer ;) !

BlueApple
08-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Great responses everyone.

Archjam, are you saying you can't get your own content onto the iPhone? I was hoping to get my demo reel onto the device. There should be a way to do it. In my iTunes Movie library I have a bunch of content that I made... those should sync up with the phone, right?

archijam
08-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Googled it, and I think you have to encode it as iphone 'format' .. so no, not everything you have in itunes automatically works. The iphone only seems to use a select few codecs.

I think with the full version of QT you can save as, the one annoying thing is that some of my files don't play the audio in QT, I have to use VLC etc., though perhaps a vlc conversion would do the trick (enable it in properties under advanced) ..

http://ezinearticles.com/?Copy-Movies-To-Iphone---Do-It-The-Easy-Way&id=830728

tribbles
08-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Great responses everyone.

Archjam, are you saying you can't get your own content onto the iPhone? I was hoping to get my demo reel onto the device. There should be a way to do it. In my iTunes Movie library I have a bunch of content that I made... those should sync up with the phone, right?

I've got the 2.5G iPhone, and I've put my own content on it - like Archjam says, it depends on the codec. I've used MPEGStreamClip on the Mac to do this - worked fairly well (especially if I created the content in the correct resolution). Converted it, imported into iTunes, and then told iTunes to sync the video to the iPhone.

mattclary
08-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Did you hear about the cracks (http://www.dailytech.com/Apples+iPhone+3G+All+Cracked+Up/article12536.htm)?

archijam
08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Did you hear about the cracks (http://www.dailytech.com/Apples+iPhone+3G+All+Cracked+Up/article12536.htm)?

No. Shut up. Who asked you anyway?

;)

ps. Mine's black.

ted
08-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Oh yeh, I miss the copy and paste of my old "smart phone". Thanks for reminding me.

archijam
08-02-2008, 03:58 AM
One clarification (where I was mistaken):

As long as the clip can play properly in iTunes, you can convert it within iTunes with a right click to iPhone format mp4 (.m4v)

zapper1998
08-02-2008, 04:13 AM
They already hacked the New iPhone 3G phone in china so you can use it with any phone company.

Mitja
08-02-2008, 05:21 AM
My 2g-not-cracking-iPhone plays *.mov files encoded with h264 just fine. So should do yours.
Quick question: you people really care of 3g connection?

archijam
08-02-2008, 05:22 AM
My 2g-not-cracking-iPhone plays *.mov files encoded with h264 just fine. So should do yours.
Quick question: you people really care of 3g connection?

First thing I turned off :) .. uses too much battery.

Hopper
08-02-2008, 08:11 AM
I've been using an i-Mate/K-Jam for the past couple of years (the UK version - not the crappy look-alike from Cingular) - and I can still do more than the iPhone with it. Sure, the interface isn't as nifty, but I find that I can do more with it, it's more reliable, has better signal strength, the battery lasts for over a week, I have blue-tooth, 802.11g, GPS, camera, 8GB SD card, and almost the same sized screen. I can write complete applications in Java, C, C++, etc... and even run a mobile version of Oracle. Plus, it's twice as fast as the iPhone.

And the whole 3G thing... that makes me laugh. It's not like that's new technology. My phone before my current one used 3G (HSPA) and that was years ago.

I agree with Ted - They start marketing the crap out of something and everyone jumps on it without question. I have no need for an iPhone ... I already have one - it's just called something else.

BlueApple
08-02-2008, 11:22 AM
The 3G excitement seemed to be billed as:

"This 3G thing is way better than the previous (edge network I think) thing we were using. Look at how much better/faster it is!"

I've never owned a device that is portable and can connect to anything except through Wi Fi, so I don't know if 3G is that much better than what they were using previously, nor do I know how great 3G is on it's own. What out there uses something better than 3G, and can I get it in the U.S.?

Jim_C
08-02-2008, 05:56 PM
- You HAVE to use itunes to put something on it. At least my iPod could also work as a drive. What's the 16 gigs good for if I'm not watching films?
- I haven't managed to get ANY avi or mov films onto it, only podcasts. Does that mean i can ONLY watch bought content from iTunes store.... ? Are you serious?

No iPhone, but taking a guess......

-Start iTunes.
-File->Add file to Library->Pick your avi file
-Click Movies, Find the movie you just imported, Right click on it and choose 'Convert for iPhone'
-Try throwing that on the iPhone... you lucky son of a b&^ch

Bog
08-04-2008, 06:37 AM
I've had my showreel on my iPhone since the V1.0. I've recently upgraded to the 3G, and it does seem less stable than the V1.0. It keep nagging me about losing it's network, 'cause 3G coverage seems to be a bit of a joke outside central london.

They've tweaked Javascript on Safari so I can only read certain online eBooks in Frameless mode. Darn it.

That said, when 3G is available, it's a lot nippier than EDGE was, and some of the games and things from the App Store are nice editions - there's a nice version of Choplifter, for example. Also, the black plastic back shows scuffs a lot less - the metal back on my V1.0 got scratched to ugly hell after an hour in a jeans pocket with my keys.

I'll probably Jailbreak it this week, because I like having my own choice of eBook reader, and being able to SCP/SHH into the phone and upload my own choice to files just makes it feel more like "my device" than something Steve Jobs has consented to loan me for a while. My hardware - my choice.

archijam
08-17-2008, 04:40 AM
New annoyance on iPhone detected.

Read the requirements for the iPhone. All you need to sync photos, ical, address book, mail etc etc etc. comes with the purchase phone.

This is a blatant lie.

The phone has a camera. Surely I can get the photos off my iPhone onto my mac, right? Given what comes with the phone.

No, says the manual, at least not directly. You can only email them off the phone, one by one.

You can sync photos on your computer _to_ your phone. Great. Thanks for that.

If you don't already own either, you have to go and buy iLife (to get iPhoto), or Apature, the ONLY two apps that can access your photos.

I can't imagine this is legal. :(

KillMe
08-17-2008, 04:50 AM
New annoyance on iPhone detected.

Read the requirements for the iPhone. All you need to sync photos, ical, address book, mail etc etc etc. comes with the purchase phone.

This is a blatant lie.

The phone has a camera. Surely I can get the photos off my iPhone onto my mac, right? Given what comes with the phone.

No, says the manual, at least not directly. You can only email them off the phone, one by one.

You can sync photos on your computer _to_ your phone. Great. Thanks for that.

If you don't already own either, you have to go and buy iLife (to get iPhoto), or Apature, the ONLY two apps that can access your photos.

I can't imagine this is legal. :(

this new on iphone 2? i can download pics off my iphone easily enough my computer recognises it as a removeable hard disk and while dont have access to everything on it do have access to the photos

archijam
08-17-2008, 04:55 AM
pc or mac? my mac doens't see my phone except through itunes.

Mitja
08-17-2008, 06:15 AM
My PC recognizes the iPhone as a digital camera. So no problem here.
There are also other programs to browse your iphone's folders for mac and pc.

archijam
08-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Do they cost money? I just think it blowsies to sell a camera and not allow you to get the photos off it, out of the box. I have since re-installed *shudders* iphoto. Blegh.

akademus
08-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Looks like cracks are standard. They even show in TVC from apple site :D

Stunt Pixels
08-18-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm almost tempted to get an iPhone because of one application - flipbook (http://www.flipbook.tv/about/). Most of the (user submitted) movies on the site are crap, but for thumbnailing it looks great! Not sure if I can validate an iPhone for that though, I could just carry around a pen and pad....

kopperdrake
08-18-2008, 03:54 AM
I don't know about the new generation of iphone but I plumped for the older flavour as a way of getting at emails when abroad/on holiday etc (3G is pointless for me, especially with the coverage not being great here).

Best phone software ever - I'd had a couple of HTC machines before and to be honest the Windows mobile software is absolutely dreadful. It's as though they'd tried to throw as many features in but used different departments for each one - graphically things never tied together, if you hd more than a couple of hundred contacts the contact database became unusable - hit H to get to the H's and then you have to get to that stupidly small scroll bar with your stylus to joggle down as the scroll wheel would be so slow you'd end up over-shooting.

Nah - the iphone is beautiful to use - someone's really thought the whole thing through.

For the record - I did alter mine, and only use the basic o2 package with unlimited data useage,as their iphone package was pure extortion - but if I hadn't been able to buy the iphone I'd have gone for another OS.

The photo album is also beautifully thought through - love the way to navigate around my contacts - and the speed of it.

Mitja
08-18-2008, 05:47 AM
When I was about to buy the iphone, I looked around if ther was something else similar.
And I saw the samsung instinct - the iphone killer...
There's absolutely no comparison between the two: the samsung has an incredible lag durind the loading of images from gallery, an awful os...

Hopper
08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
And I saw the samsung instinct - the iphone killer...

That's like calling Elmer Fudd a Rabbit Killer...

Mitja
08-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Exactly!!!