PDA

View Full Version : The LW8 stream, and mac os X

core
07-29-2003, 11:29 AM
WHY?

You have windows mediaplayer, which is not fully cross platformed. Then you have Quicktime 6, WHICH IS CROSS PLATFORMED!

Its a bit pathetic that whoever sets up the stream uses WM player and not something everyone can view.

I really would like a good explanation.

Please no mac vs PC stuff.

stef
07-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by core
WHY?

I really would like a good explanation.

Me too!!!

core
07-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Sometimes i wonder about the professionalism of Newtek.

brownie
07-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Big disappointment for me too.
I'm convinced that Quick Time is the best technology for streaming.

core
07-29-2003, 12:26 PM
i've never seen a good quality WM file ever. On the other hand i have seen many streamed QT6 extremely good quality movies. I think its this new Mpeg-4 stuff.

What up with this newtek?? Proton maybe?

Aegis
07-29-2003, 12:28 PM
The Video Toaster [3] only supports Windows Media Encoder for the time being.

policarpo
07-29-2003, 12:29 PM
just go a buy a cheap PC for stuff like this...it will only set you back aroun $300 or $400...and you can use it as a render slave as well...and an mp3 jukebox...

Earl
07-29-2003, 12:32 PM
It would be nice if they had both QuickTime and Media Player - but given that they don't even have to provide a video stream, I'm thankful there's something (that's both fast and reliable) that they are using. So far I haven't had any hiccups or outages in their stream.

core
07-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by policarpo
just go a buy a cheap PC for stuff like this...it will only set you back aroun $300 or $400...and you can use it as a render slave as well...and an mp3 jukebox...

Firstly i'm not going to chip out that much money just to watch WM stuff, and i have an mp3 'jukebox' on my mac (itunes) and i wouldnt want any different.

If newtek had that attitude i'm suprised they would even bother making Lightwave available for mac.

And earl, i wouldn't say windows media player is reliable for mac, as it doesn't really work... and thats what this whole thread is about.

js33
07-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Hi mac users,

I'm watching the stream now and it looks very good.
Oh full screen on a 19" monitor also.:D
I tried it on my mac but got only got sound.:(

Cheers,
JS

ArneK
07-29-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm pi**ed off. You did it AGAIN. Thanks for nothing...

Throwing in an arrogant reply like "buy a $400 piece of harware to see our stream" is NOT funny. Mac users would like to see your streams just as much as PC users. You could just as much have given me the finger...

Annoyed

policarpo
07-29-2003, 01:37 PM
wow...you guys are touchy.

makes me sad that i just bought a powerbook 1ghz...i thought Mac users were creative and problem solvers....

being a creative in this industry, you really need to be dual platform. it makes for happy clients, plus it's nice off loading renders and mp3 jukeboxes to those ugly beige boxes that are hidden beneath desk. saves my precious hard drive on my PowerBook.

i did not intend to "flip" anyone the finger...i was merely raising the peace sign.

MSoft really needs to update WMP to version 9 on the Mac...

but yeah...QT or REAL would be nice...but the WMV stream looks very nice...nicer than QT or REAL from my experience.

stef
07-29-2003, 01:51 PM
This is a non-belligerent reply to you, too. We love you guys even though you get on our nerves like this time ... Just please keep our desires/requests of mac users in mind. BTW I asked on another forum about your PB is it 17 or 15 inch, out of curiosity? (I still am vying for the upcoming the truly portable 1 inch thick PB12, however they too do not listen to us either - I need a dual processor on that baby...).

Peace - S.

ArneK
07-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Policarpo - Apology accepted. Not everyone needs a PC though. My four Macs are more than capable of doing what my clients need me to do. And I'm not going to buy a PC just to run Windows Media Player. And my iPod handles my MP3's very well too... ;-)

Just that when you hype your live broadcasts again, we would really like to see 'em - regardless of platform. Please rethink your way transferring next time. And make everybody very happy. Thanks.

policarpo
07-29-2003, 02:00 PM
no problem.

i bought th 15" PB 1ghz...and i love it so far....no complaints....

:)

sketchyjay
07-29-2003, 02:02 PM
you're not missing too much.

I have macs and pcs at work and I'm just getting sound with a slide show of still frames every so often.

A pc user said he used the old media player 6 and it worked.

probably stuff in the 7 and later that block stuff.

does anyone on mac have an old copy of media player?

J

policarpo
07-29-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ArneK
Policarpo - Apology accepted. Not everyone needs a PC though. My four Macs are more than capable of doing what my clients need me to do. And I'm not going to buy a PC just to run Windows Media Player. And my iPod handles my MP3's very well too... ;-)

Just that when you hype your live broadcasts again, we would really like to see 'em - regardless of platform. Please rethink your way transferring next time. And make everybody very happy. Thanks.

are you talking to me or NewTek...cause i don't work for them.

i am too am an iPod owning, PowerBook using, PC owning, LightWave user much like you (minus the PC). :)

core
07-29-2003, 02:29 PM
me got ipod too :D

I would really hope Newtek would reply to this.

I think its important. Anyone else?

is there anyway of converting WM format to quicktime or real?

hopicus
07-29-2003, 03:38 PM
yep, i was watching the stream at my college, [ which has a slightly better connection than my 56 k at home, and yes, that would be an intentional
understatement...] initially on a mac, my prefered platform, before i discovered that that wasnt going to be happening, which is when i moved myslef over to a pc, but i got sick of the stream chocking too often from time to time, so i gave up and went home...

however, when the stream was working and wasnt chocking all over the place and i actually got some audio with, get this,... video!, what i saw all looked pretty incredible... im giddy for the update! i just hope newtek will post a lot of the demo stuff in some kind of downloadable format...[ Quicktime anyone?] then i'll be happy...

streaming seems only to be a good idea in theory,... although my messiah of choice, [ thats a joke ] steve jobs, his last keynote seemed to stream, as far as i can remember, pretty much flawlessly... Behold the glory of Quicktime?... so i dont know...

lastly,... while im here... during some of the character setup stuff, what was with the camera constantly showing people in the audience? i mean, way to rub in the fact that im not actually there seeing it all in real real time as well! and more importantly, i cant exactly see whats happening on the screen, the stuff i want to watch, when the camera keeps wandering off into the audience... so that was a bit annoying... but im still giddy for lightwave 8 though...