PDA

View Full Version : Your bad work for all to see in the future

shrox
07-30-2008, 09:32 PM
I see that an unknown Van Gogh portrait has been found under an famous work of his. The canvas was painted over and used again by him. I have also seen other famous artist's discards or do-overs presented in the press and shown in muesums.

Imagine if something you made and disliked so much you threw it away, or painted over it, the hundreds of years after your death, somebody finds it and parades it around for all to see. I would hate that. I good reason to burn (or in our case, delete) stuff that didn't turn out like you want.

Hopper
07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, you should see how many colors our living room has gone through until my wife finally found the right color ... :D

animotion
07-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Watch it! you could really paint yourself into a corner thinking that way.

faulknermano
07-31-2008, 12:46 AM
in a sense that's why i dont trust the world. two other case spring to mind. rather recently, there's been a push to publish Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace with an alternate ending. this alternate ending is also Tolstoy's work, but he decided to publish the version that's out there. it makes me.... incensed.... and that they even claim that it's for literary purposes! the point is, if there is no respect the writer or artist, and if it's just 'all about the work of art', then we are just like factory machines.

another thing i mistrust about worldly acceptance is the story i heard about John Keats, and how during his short lifetime he was not very well received by his critics. from what i gathered, he died miserably. and i think this is what the world does to their writers and artists. van gogh, is quite the same, i believe. there are many others, too.

the world doesnt care, and is not to be trusted.

rakker16mm
07-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Of course the old masters painted over their canvases because linen was expensive... Come to think of it it still is.

I used to paint over other people's old canvases that I'd get at the thrift shop. It made sense. 1st. It was cheap. 2nd. I was beautifying the world by painting over one ugly canvas at a time. 3rd. I was sparing sparing the friends and relatives of the original artist much potential embarrassment.

BUT no more. I'm afraid some one might think the underpainting was mine. It just isn't worth it.

meshpig
07-31-2008, 01:27 AM
I see that an unknown Van Gogh portrait has been found under an famous work of his. The canvas was painted over and used again by him. I have also seen other famous artist's discards or do-overs presented in the press and shown in muesums.

Imagine if something you made and disliked so much you threw it away, or painted over it, the hundreds of years after your death, somebody finds it and parades it around for all to see. I would hate that. I good reason to burn (or in our case, delete) stuff that didn't turn out like you want.

In the case of Van Gogh, it wouldn't have bothered him much since all his paintings were rolled up and sent to his brother Theo.

What's worse is probably the crap we all talk here on the forums, never mind how the work turns out.

m:D

Nangleator
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I think my old stuff would probably be a good start on the next version of this (http://www.jackals-forge.com/abom.html) old site.

Anybody remember that site? If it's new to you, take some time to see all those old pics and read the comments. You will injure yourself laughing!

Wrap
08-01-2008, 04:13 AM

Surely in the future they will use time machines to bring back whole art classes to look through your dodgy art as an example of what not to do while you are out and you will never know. as it happens in 200 years your deleted files will be made into dodgy postcards in odd little beach resorts.