PDA

View Full Version : Trailer trubbles, but getting close, I hope..

Johnny
07-30-2008, 07:13 PM
The image below shows what's going on.

the thing I have following the motion path which looks like an upside-down hat is a highly subdivided rectangle.

Ultimately, when I learn how to use Trailer better, I'd like the path to be more complex; this is just for my learning.

What happens, and I can't see the cause, is the rectangle seems to fold back on itself, rather than snake the motion path as I'd hoped..

it's as though there is something *about* the rectangle that can't be contained, if you will, by the path/trailer settings.

I have played with all of the fields and check boxes to see if the answer were in one of them, but no luck.

the numbers show the order moving thru time as I slide the slider in the time line from zero onward.

Thanks!

J

http://www.coffeeonmars.com/lw/trailer.jpg

SplineGod
07-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Is it subpatched? Whats the subdiv order etc?
Ive found that sometimes if you change those you need to copy trailer, remove it then reapply it again.

Alice_LJ
07-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Cool:thumbsup:

Johnny
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Is it subpatched? Whats the subdiv order etc?
Ive found that sometimes if you change those you need to copy trailer, remove it then reapply it again.

subdiv order?

I used a term incorrectly; I had not subpatched by hitting Tab, I had hit Shift-D in order to create more polys which I believed would facilitate smoother deforming as the rectangle followed the path... A different thing, I know..

but after reading your post, I re-created my rectangle shape somewhat differently, and I DID hit the tab key to subdivide it, loaded the same upside-down hat MOT file and set up Trailer same as before. The rectangle perfectly snaked the path..no funky stretching or folding back on itself...

though if I want wierd/varying stretching it's good to know there's an envelope to facilitate that..

Now, how does one know what the subdiv order, etc. is/are?

Thanks!

J

dee
08-01-2008, 04:35 AM
s
Now, how does one know what the subdiv order, etc. is/are?

Thanks!

J

select object, hit p for properties, geometry tab, in the middle of the window you find Subdivision Order.

Johnny
08-01-2008, 11:39 AM
select object, hit p for properties, geometry tab, in the middle of the window you find Subdivision Order.

OK..that's easy enough...thank you.

for seasoned trailer users, are there limits to how many knots the path can have?

I believe I'm running into problems with a path that's way more intricate than the upside-down hat...

could that be related to subdivision order?

J

Johnny
08-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I am still testing and learning here, but it does seem that my shape sort of crumples and piles up on itself at some points on the path, and it's smooth on others....

maybe it happens when the turns of the path are too tight...

gonna do a quickie test animation so I can better see what's happening and when.

J

Johnny
08-01-2008, 01:57 PM
After my test went well, I decided to work on the real model/scene.

This screen grab shows the result: pretty heavy crumpling and wacky twisting here and there; not the smooth following I was able to get yesterday.

I've gone up and down on my poly count, fiddled with subdivision order, made motion paths with fewer and less knots in them..

fiddling with Keep Length doesn't improve things, either.

It seems there are some quirks to trailer which I just don't know yet, or haven't learned how to deal with.

Any clues based on this screen grab?

Top left shows the actual rectangle (lots of polys in the Z-direction, the direction of the path). Lower right is the side view of the motion path. lower left is a render, and top right are the settings.

Thanks!

J

http://www.coffeeonmars.com/lw/crumple.jpg

Johnny
08-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Going back to yesterday's successful test, but this time with the "real" motion path.

everything starts out OK, but then something "breaks" it.

maybe I'll hit F9 and it won't render what I see on screen, dismiss the render window and the rectangle is borked beyond recognition..

but, at least it behaves correctly for acouple seconds, so that is a good indication..I think..

J

dee
08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
try out fertilizer (http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/Fertilizer/), maybe it's better for this task.