PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime VR

objuan
07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Anyone know about the process of rendering a quicktime VR dome?

I think that's what they are called, you dont really see them too often, but I seem to recall you can render out the entire sphere of what can be seen from a certain point in space and then use qucktime VR to rotate around inside that environment.

I'm having trouble finding much on it. Any tips?

Kuzey
07-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Not sure, but this might be what you're after:

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/TUTORIAL-QTVR.html

ps...that starbase character seems very familiar :hey:

Kuzey

Magnus81
08-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Check out a "360" of a model I made at our website. I did this with LW.
http://www.dragonflyanimation.com/360s.html

objuan
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Kuzey - thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for! (starbase is cool)

Magnus - thats not what I was looking for, but it is really cool!
How do you go about creating an interactive model viewer like that?

Magnus81
08-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Actually, that same technique can be used to do what you want too. Just zoom in on the camera, so it's pivot point is centered. But that's not how most people do it. I believe what you're referring to is is actually six "Cube" renderings put together to form a 360 degree world to be viewed in any direction. These images can be put together in a free app I use called GoCubic.
Concerning the render you saw on my site, that's a VR scene I setup in LW which consists of 3600 frames. The camera renders every angle of rotation and then exports it out to a interactive VR file. If you want I can give the base scene file. Another guy on here asked me about this several months ago. I just gave him the scene file.

objuan
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Magnus, that would be sweet if you can post your scene.

So basically, you parent your camera to a null and rotate it all around, and render a sequence (even though nothings moving) to the in LW quicktime VR output setting?

nolan
08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Magnus . . . I would very much like to have a copy of your scene. For some reason I ALWAYS a problems setting up a VR render. Thanks.

Magnus81
08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I'll dig up. give me some time.

Magnus81
08-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get this uploaded, but I've been getting crushed with work lately. The zip file contains the scene file and some screenshots to walk you thru the process. Note: you may want to parent all the lights that you set up to the camera, it actually looks better that way, trust me! If you have any questions please ask.:lwicon::D