PDA

View Full Version : Closed Captioning and TMPGEnc

B. Schuster
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I am trying to author a DVD from a Beta SP tape that has Closed Captioning on it.
After I capture the video, into the VT-5 the captioning is still there, but after I convert it through TMPGEnc and author it with DVD workshop the CC is gone.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

ScorpioProd
07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I just googled it.

http://www.ce.org/PDF/CEA_Closed_Caption_FAQs_April_2007.pdf

There are no government mandates for packaged media to include Closed Captioning and there are no government mandates for media players to decode Closed Captioning.

DVDs do support subtitling, but that's not the same as CC. Subtitles are added at the DVD authoring stage, not the MPEG-2 encoding stage.

CC is really made for broadcast TV, not for DVDs.

B. Schuster
07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
I have a client who wants to include CC on his DVD. Do I need to re-do them into subtitles?

ScorpioProd
07-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, problem is, I don't know how likely a DVD player would be to play through CC if you did find a way to get them on there... And if you look at computer playback, there's no CC button on software DVD players. There isn't on stand-alone DVD players, either, the TV would have to decode it IF it was in there and passed thru. But again, depending on the output used, it might not be in there. As that pdf points out, HDMI will not carry the old standard analog CC.

I think doing them as subtitles would be the best way, but I don't know if you have access to the original CC text files. It would definitely be a good amount of work unless there's some kind of automated way to do it.

It totally makes sense that the Beta SP tape would have had it, since those are made for broadcast.

Pete Draves
07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Closed captioning is applied to DVDs in the authoring program.
the TV does the decoding.
Your authoring program such as Encore has a place to add a .scc file for closed captioning.
A word on blu-ray, the hdmi connection does not support cc but analog component does.
The reason the mpg encoder does not pass the cc data from the video is...
the data is in the vertical retrace signal. both v and h sync data is not used in the encoding as the frame rate is pure digital

Pete