PDA

View Full Version : VT5 Program Freeze Frame

MikeS
07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
This past Sunday I was on vacation and the video team had some problems. For reasons they, nor I, can understand the program bus was freezing intermittently. I cannot even think of how to duplicate this if I wanted to. According to the director, they were not doing anything differently at all when the freezes occurred.
We are using 3 JVC KY17 cameras, and a Laird Phatcat system to save on cabling costs. We are component into the SX8 from JVC RMP200 CCUs. It is very simple and straight forward.

I have never had any trouble whatsoever with the Cat5 system and do not want to blame it on that. I suspect a carbon based error, but I am not sure what the director might have done, and have no desire whatsoever to blame anyone.

I watched the DVD and the freezes are desaturated (although the yellows and reds remain saturated) and the audio continues underneath in sync. I could not determine a consistent time of the freezes although they each lasted for a few seconds. Also, there is no discernible pattern to when they occur (IE every 5 minutes). 2 of the 3 cameras froze, the other was not used very often and I did not see it freeze. I had previously removed all of the transitions from the bin except the crossfade to avoid crazy choices on the tape.

My RS-8 was being serviced (again) so they were directing using our logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Windows XP Pro SP2
Dual Xeon 3.0
2 GIGs RAM
VT5

Quiet1onTheSet
07-30-2008, 12:47 PM
...they were directing using our logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. Any thoughts? Preliminary thought from myself Mike, is that a wireless keyboard and mouse combo is potentially a disastrous way to live-switch, as it can be terribly unreliable with unexplained, unpredictable, problematic results.

Goodness knows I wish our recently purchased high-performance PC had not shipped with a high-end wireless combo out-of-the-box, from Microsoft!

Q1
:tsktsk:

Quiet1onTheSet
07-30-2008, 12:56 PM
...a wireless keyboard and mouse combo is potentially a disastrous way to live-switch, as it can be terribly unreliable with unexplained, unpredictable, problematic results...
:tsktsk:

One other thing: The use of high-efficiency compact fluorescent lighting have also been known to potentially wreak havoc with the operation of some electrical appliances including computer based systems.

Q1
:hey:

MikeS
07-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that info. Both of those items were in play. Wireless keyboard and mouse and the lovely, mood setting fluorescent lights in my closet...ahem..control room.

I will continue to do some testing but definitely factor that in.

-Mike

SBowie
07-30-2008, 02:24 PM
There have been times when nearby cel-phones (and maybe cordless phones?) also caused havoc ...

Quiet1onTheSet
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
...the lovely, mood setting fluorescent lights in my closet...ahem..control room...Has you nearly seein' green, 'don't it?

Q1
:hey: