PDA

View Full Version : LScripts = Plug-ins?

SooperFlye
07-29-2003, 10:24 AM
I know LScripts are basically small C++ files, so if one creates LScripts is he/she essentially creating a plug-in for LightWave? :confused:

Lynx3d
07-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Uhm yes and no.
A script is "just" what is says, a script.
The syntax is very similar to C, that's right, but it is not C code that you could compile with a C(++) compiler...you wouldn't come far until the first parse error occurs :D

However, LScripts do behave like plugins, so you can very well define them as plugins. Actually there are many similarities between LScript and the SDK.

I don't know how exactly LScript works, but the lcore3.dll is basically a huge Lightwave plugin that interprets the script and calls the proper functions like a plugin written in C does too. So you basically program the LScript plugin with your scripts...something like that

Someone please correct me if i wrote b***s*** :)

richpr
08-01-2003, 12:40 AM
A real plugin would be a real C/C++ program interfacing with Lightwave through the SDK... would be much faster than scripts and does can do anything it wants. Usually come as .p files.

A script is more like a simplified C which is probably interpreted. It comes in two variations... .ls (normal text) and .lsc (compiled).

In common language both are sometimes called plug-ins since they both add functionality to Lightwave...

SooperFlye
08-02-2003, 12:39 PM
So all LightWave plug-ins are created with SDK?

richpr
08-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Yes...

and scripts are made using the LScript manual/reference.