PDA

View Full Version : LScript improvements/ stability...

3dworks
07-30-2008, 05:42 AM
another example of how current 3rd part software is limited in running well on macs: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=728647&postcount=4

please chilton, can we get a stable and 100% compatible lscript on macs soon? apparently a sort of systematic cleanup is needed. i know many examples of lscripts not working on OSX, it doesn't seem to be a small single bug.

can we get any statement from anyone at NT of being aware and caring about this problem, please?

markus

Phil
07-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Providing a list of scripts would be worthwhile. My limited experience has been that all scripts work, with the exception of those that touch the filesystem (due to the new file separator under UB LW - '/' instead of ':').

Lernie's script was the first case I have seen where it simply blew up on a Mac, for a number of reasons. The bug report from Lernie was closed, unhelpfully, without comment from NewTek. I'm needling them now to find out why because I went to some trouble to persuade Lernie to file a bug with them in the first place, just to have it seemingly dismissed by the NT devs. Much unhappiness is the result.

Chilton
07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi,

Well, if we have bug reports regarding these types of issues, we fix them. Compared to some bugs, these are relatively simple.

The LScript system is pretty straightforward. Calls go into the 'core' of LightWave the same way interacting with objects does. The problem areas tend to be file paths, which differ from platform to platform.

Furthermore, you can execute any LScript from AppleScript, and a good deal of effort went into making that possible. So narrowing down bugs like this on the Mac is pretty easy.

-Chilton

Phil
07-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Off-topic, but is there any documentation of the AppleScript support? There's no integrated documentation for UB LW (still! unless I missed something), so it's not helpful to refer to something that I find myself unable to locate a reference for.

Chilton
07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi Phil,

It's a far cry from what I wish I had time to put together, but LightWave's AppleScript Dictionary should work. If you drag Layout onto Script Editor, you will find that it has a command entry, and says this...

"Command v : Issue a text-based LightWave command. To see the available commands in Layout, issue the command: 'SaveCommandList'.
Command list of text : LightWave command string (space separates parameters)"

So two examples would be...

tell application "Layout"
Command "SaveCommandList"
end tell

Command "About"
end tell

...The first of those will prompt you for a save file location. Save that file and take a look inside. Any of those commands will work via 'Command' in AppleScript.

The second one opens the about box.

HTH,
-Chilton

Kuzey
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
So two examples would be...

Command "SaveCommandList"
end tell

Command "About"
end tell

...The first of those will prompt you for a save file location. Save that file and take a look inside. Any of those commands will work via 'Command' in AppleScript.

The second one opens the about box.

HTH,
-Chilton

Ahh...I was wondering about the syntax because I couldn't get it to work...I was missing the command bit. I must give it another go :D

Kuzey

Chilton
07-30-2008, 06:21 PM
It went through a lot of iterations. At first, we wrapped all kinds of things in AppleScript calls, so that it would make sense to AppleScript purists. But this added layers of complexity to the code that would only contribute to bug lists in the future. So this somewhat spartan approach was what we ended on.

SPARTAN!!!

-Chilton

jeremyhardin
08-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Lernie's script was the first case I have seen where it simply blew up on a Mac, for a number of reasons.

Not quite Phil. Anything with a mac version probably started out working on PC and just blowing up on Mac. PassPort was terrible for a long while. The difference is that I had the benefit of years of mac scripting (so I knew what problems to preempt!) and a mac workstation to test and troubleshoot as I went. And of course I had to file all the breakages as bugs to get things fixed, which thankfully is what happened (thanks to Chilton, Chuck, and Bob Hood).