PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy rigged LW characters?

monovich
07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Howdy. I'm looking for a place to buy a rigged human woman for use in LW. I pretty much suck at rigging but I can animate a character thats already been set up. Does anyone know where I can purchase a stock clothed female Lightwave character?

tyrot
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
dear monovich

QUIDAM!!!!

n-sided.com

:)

BEST

Paul_Boland
07-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Yep, Quidam is the best route. A very easy to use package for people creation and with the Lightwave exporter you get fully rigged character into Lightwave ready for use.

http://www.n-sided.com/

monovich
07-29-2008, 02:08 PM
How does poser compare to quidam? can it export its rigged/animated characters to LW? Looks like Quidam can only pose and all I need is a basic walk cycle that poser may already have...

Mr Rid
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I dont know Quidam but am wondering how photoreal the characters can be made to look. Examples on the site's gallery are only previz quality. But for quick characters I would much rather be able to use Poser/Daz since there is a vast support base of tons of premade customizable photoreal characters, textures (including 4k from photographed sources) and accessories, phonemes and endless expressions built in and each muscle with its own morph control. But am not finding a functional way of getting the rigs out of Poser/Daz into LW. I read about problems with the Greenbriar plugin.

monovich
07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
for this project I don't need a photo-real character, and the budget will cover the cost of the software, so as long as the app gives me a decent profile and rig I'm good to go. I'm going with Quidam for this one and I'll report back about how I like it.

Brunson
07-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe this is an obvious answer, but you could try TurboSquid.

There's a fully rigged and clothed female character on there in the "Top Sellers" section, in several different formats including LW.

meshpig
07-30-2008, 02:32 AM

There's a fully rigged and clothed female character on there in the "Top Sellers" section, in several different formats including LW.

Links please, they usually cost an arm and a leg.

-3D studio

http://www.the3dstudio.com

are good for cheaper fbx stuff.

m

Phil
07-30-2008, 08:35 AM
I dont know Quidam but am wondering how photoreal the characters can be made to look. Examples on the site's gallery are only previz quality. But for quick characters I would much rather be able to use Poser/Daz since there is a vast support base of tons of premade customizable photoreal characters, textures (including 4k from photographed sources) and accessories, phonemes and endless expressions built in and each muscle with its own morph control. But am not finding a functional way of getting the rigs out of Poser/Daz into LW. I read about problems with the Greenbriar plugin.

The Greenbriar plugin works just fine. The key thing to be aware of is that it does nothing to reduce the dense geometry incoming, and it makes educated guesses for weightmaps - most of the time it gets things right and you simply need to spend a bit of time blending them together into a more straightforward map (e.g. you get separate maps for each joint, so you can use these for surfacing, etc., but for rigging, you probably want to merge these to the level of fingers, or arms)

The other important aspect with the GB plugin is to flip the geometry - there's a little toggle switch to flip the models in Z. If you don't do this, the morphs end up all screwed up. I'm really not sure why the toggle is there, nor why it isn't on by default.

cresshead
07-30-2008, 08:46 AM
models pre rigged with motion capture for lightwave, max and fbx files

http://www.axyz-design.com/

:thumbsup:

SplineGod
07-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Im using a plugin that should hopefully be available soon.
It can import poser/daz objects with textures etc. import the skeletons, import poses and motions and it can also import an object sequence from poser as mdd files. It can also import poser morph libraries. It can also import whole poser scenes and well as export back to poser.
We also have access to large mocap libraries and are able to load those onto a rig in poser and save the motion as a pose and then directly inport that into LW. After that I apply IKBoost to the character and am able to easily edit the mocap data using that.
IKB has some very nice tools for easily editing large amounts of keyframe data in a number of ways. It literally takes me a few minutes what would have taken much longer to do before these tools were available.

monovich
07-30-2008, 10:28 AM
sounds like a silver bullet plugin Larry!

hunter
07-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Does quidam 2 export LW or do you need the studio version?
Edit: never mind I found the comparison chart.

mccabejc
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Im using a plugin that should hopefully be available soon.

WOW !!! That sounds wonderful. I'll be first in line when it becomes available.

Though it may present a bit of a dilemma for the "premade Poser stuff is junk" folks. If it suddenly becomes a LW tool, folks might realize how cool it is and have to backpeddle on their position.

Lemme get my popcorn....

monovich
07-30-2008, 12:03 PM

she is only rigged in 3ds if you read the description. all other formats are just the T pose.

cresshead
07-30-2008, 12:31 PM
have alook at the axyz characters...modeled, textured, rigged and animated

just load 'em up...

http://www.axyz-design.com/3d-architecture-humans-characters-images-products/MeCaFBX003a.jpg

lightwave versions>

http://www.axyz-design.com/axyz-design-3d-humans-characters-metropoly2-plugplay-mebumdd003a.php

Mr Rid
07-30-2008, 12:33 PM
We also have access to large mocap libraries and are able to load those onto a rig in poser and save the motion as a pose and then directly inport that into LW....

Good, is exactly the pipeline have been thinking would be ideal. What mocap file formats are you able to import onto Poser rigs properly? What you describe sounds like the Greenbriar plugins except for the MDD object sequence which am not sure why you would want unless there is some trick for getting motion blur like the endomorph that accompanies RealFlow sequenced objects(?).

Mr Rid
07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
WOW !!! That sounds wonderful. I'll be first in line when it becomes available.

Though it may present a bit of a dilemma for the "premade Poser stuff is junk" folks. If it suddenly becomes a LW tool, folks might realize how cool it is and have to backpeddle on their position.

Lemme get my popcorn....

Reserved for the fur flying 'Battle over "Art" thread. :angel::devil:

Mr Rid
07-30-2008, 01:12 PM
have alook at the axyz characters...modeled, textured, rigged and animated

just load 'em up...

http://www.axyz-design.com/3d-architecture-humans-characters-images-products/MeCaFBX003a.jpg

lightwave versions>

http://www.axyz-design.com/axyz-design-3d-humans-characters-metropoly2-plugplay-mebumdd003a.php

I dont see anything for LW here, only Max(?).

Am finding it very difficult to get mocap quickly onto specific avatars in LW that may come from different sources. I dont know what I am missing about FBX which seems useless. FBX imports often crash LW (93 and 95) while others import only a bunch of nulls, and Dodgy's null-to-bone plugin is inverting the bones on one side of the biped. The only Collada Ive tried to import is out of Daz where all the bones appear in the scene editor but are nowhere to be found in the scene in a useable sense. BVH mocaps from various sources are all different and may or may not rotate properly. Each requires tedious rig editing and painting weights to each figure. Nothing works smoothly.

I dont understand why I can import a BVH into Daz (Poser is doing odd things) and it applies appropriate rotation data to the bones rig in the scene, whereas LW insists on generating a new rig and will not apply to the one already in the scene. Current BVH, FBX, Collada imports for LW seem half-baked.

SplineGod
07-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Good, is exactly the pipeline have been thinking would be ideal. What mocap file formats are you able to import onto Poser rigs properly? What you describe sounds like the Greenbriar plugins except for the MDD object sequence which am not sure why you would want unless there is some trick for getting motion blur like the endomorph that accompanies RealFlow sequenced objects(?).

These plugins I think are much better then the greenbriar plugins. So far these have been very easy to use and pretty bulletproof.
Whats nice for me is being able to load the poser skeleton into LW, swap in the proper character, apply IKB and then import the motions.
IKB has several tools which make editing the mocap data quite easy.
Poser does a fairly decent job of importing mocap. Sometimes a foot or hand wig out but I can easily tweak that with IKB in LW.

dreamlight
08-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Hey Monovich. How did the Quidam character work out? Im also looking for ways to load rigged characters into LW. Im currently using the DAZ characters (V4), but they only export as OBJ.

I did try the Quidam 2 demo and it seems pretty good. Which mocap data can you load for those figures straight into LW?

The Quidam 2 women character can have high heels fitted. How does that work with mocap data? Anyone knows?

for this project I don't need a photo-real character, and the budget will cover the cost of the software, so as long as the app gives me a decent profile and rig I'm good to go. I'm going with Quidam for this one and I'll report back about how I like it.

3dworks
08-19-2008, 03:16 AM

just look for the "plug & play" type of models, those come with MDD files and are ready-to-use for LW only.

btw., still i can't get any of the rigged FBX models from this site into LW 9.5. apart of not getting the rig correctly loading, i also can't see any textures after loading into lightwave. i hope this will get fixed with the next upcoming patch for 9.5?

markus

erikals
08-19-2008, 11:57 AM
That plugin sounds great Mr. SplineGod,... does it have a name yet?

monovich
08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
The rigged character from Quidam came in great and worked very well. It was a pretty seamless process and worth the money. My only gripe is that the rig is a bit simplistic, but for basic stuff it works great.

cresshead
08-19-2008, 01:54 PM
The rigged character from Quidam came in great and worked very well. It was a pretty seamless process and worth the money. My only gripe is that the rig is a bit simplistic, but for basic stuff it works great.

do these character come in with ik or just fk bones/weightmaps?

cresshead
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM

look at the plug n play collections>>

text>>
Content: Included are 5 ready-to-use animated 3D-Human models with
5 animations each for a total of 25. (See grid below)
Geometry: Optimized at 5000 triangles per characters.
Animation: MDD Vertex Animation. No bones included.
Textures: Difusse map: 2048x2048px
Normal mapping: 2048x2048px
Format: LightWave 9 and modo 301

lightmann
08-19-2008, 10:21 PM
cmon.why Quidam?

I saw Terrence walker sell part of his collection of manga characters rigs and models for 45 dlls.really a cheap price i think .

erikals
08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Please do tell when it is released Larry,
(does your IKB dvd show how to go about editing mocap btw?)

SplineGod
08-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Ill see what I can do about getting some more info out about the plugin Ive been using to get poser assets into LW.

The current IKB video doesnt talks a little about editing mocap with it. Its something Ive discovered while working on the show Im currently on. Its been extremely useful. Im setting up a schedule with KURV to do another online class specifically on that topic. :)

SplineGod
10-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Heres some more info on the plugin I was mentioning:
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1263/Poser_to_Lightwave_Demo_Pt1/
Youll have to register here first:
www.vfxcast.com

erikals
10-03-2008, 06:01 AM
early up this mornin' ? :)

SplineGod
10-03-2008, 10:46 AM
lol, tell me about it :)

SplineGod
10-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I just uploaded a 2nd video showing a few more options.
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1278/Poser-to-Lightwave-Demo-Pt2/
Use this link to subscribe to additional video updates:
http://www.vfxcast.com/my_subscriptions&tag=SplineGod&type=user