PDA

View Full Version : Input Devices

SooperFlye
07-29-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm somewhat new to computer graphics but have become an avid hobbyist of CG software programs such LW7, 3ds max, Cinema4D, Rhinoceros, Maya 4.5 & EI Universe. Currently I've been getting around by simply using a mouse, though I find it awkward to navigate. I want to purchase a graphic tablet like Wacom or Aiptek but I'm stuck on deciding whether I should lay down the cash since I rarely hear online graphic related websites talk about graphic tablets. I would assume that this device would be a major piece of hardware for modelers, animators and compositors, however, not much discussion has been made on this issue, not even at CNET.com. I would like some advice or recommendations on what size tablet would best suit my needs, and what is the industry standard (Wacom, Aiptek, etc.)? :confused:

meshmaster
07-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Found it at a sale for about $80, which was about $20.00 off the retail. I really like it when I'm in photoshop or when my hand gets tired or sore from the other mouse. It's nice that you can move the pad around to where you want and not have to have the flat surface of the table like you do with the mouse.

SooperFlye
07-29-2003, 09:17 AM
thanx meshmaster for the info. ....so is it fair to assume that everyone in CGI is using a graphic tablet?

JReble
07-29-2003, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't say it's fair to say. I think the majority of folks just use a really good mouse. You really need a good optical mouse for most work. The tablets are useful sometimes for drawing programs like painter or some aspects of photoshop. The tablets are really just a preferance. I've got both tablet and mouse on several systems I work with and I rarely use the tablets. They do come in handy on those rare occasions when you need to make signatures or hand drawn scribbles for CG or stuff, but mostly it goes unused. If you did get one, I'd suggest a 12-14" model. The smaller ones will sit unused even more often.

SooperFlye
07-29-2003, 09:38 AM
thanx a bunch JReble...I think I'll try the optical mouse first (being cheap!), then I'll take a look at buying a graphic tablet.

thanx guys........:)

packetcafe
07-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Quick note on the Intuos:
(for down the road)

just wanted to add that it comes with a mouse that works on the pad, too.

Since you can tweak the mouse settings seperately from your system mouse, you can set it for extremely slow tracking speed for high-precision moves. Use your optical mouse or the pen for regular drawing and navigation and stuff, and then just drop on the wacom mouse when you want to tweak a point or something.

=)