PDA

View Full Version : LightWave with WINE on Linux :

pumeco
07-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I thought it best to start a seperate thread for this question because I know very little about Linux and didn't want to OT the main Linux thread with what are probably stupid questions, so here goes.

Basically, I thought I'd put some time aside and take a closer look at Linux and was wondering if Linux could run LightWave through an emulator. I came accross this thing called 'WINE' which seems to be just that! So, let's say I decided to dedicate my old computer to Linux and I installed, say, the Ubuntu distribution and then installed WINE on to of that.

Would LightWave run on Linux like that?

I just found out that SketchUp 6 for the PC will run on Linux using WINE, and as you know that's a 3D program designed for Windows so maybe LightWave would work as well. Has anyone tried this?

I'm hoping it will work, and maybe it will work with ZBrush as well?

Lito
07-29-2008, 10:41 AM
IIRC I think that Lightwave will run under Wine as the trial version but it cannot see the dongle so you can't really use it fully.

pumeco
07-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Ah hell ... nevermind ... I just spotted a comment in the other thread.
It wouldn't work because of the dongle :(

pumeco
07-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Sorry Lito, crosspost :)

tyrok1
07-29-2008, 10:44 AM
IIRC, this has come up before. Last I'd heard, it would run in an older version of WINE, but not the latest version. However, I know they're recently revamped a lot of the graphics system in WINE, so it might work on the latest version now. I haven't tested it, but if you do a search on the forums for WINE, you should be able to find something.

But you are on the right track with running it in WINE. You could also use a virtual machine and run Windows inside of it, but WINE's probably your best bet.

P.S. Don't call WINE an emulator. WINE stands for "WINE Is Not an Emulator", and technically, it's a compatibility layer. :D

Phil
07-29-2008, 11:27 AM
There are/were several issues with Wine and LW :

- there is no support for the dongle drivers that LW and 3rd party plugins need
- the Mac Wine builds are unable to handle OpenGL in viewports (technically, child windows) properly. This is supposed to work on linux, but the fix cannot be provided on Mac because Apple screwed up X11.

Lito
07-29-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think there is a VM that will let you use hardware accelerated graphics so LW will be rather slow in them.