PDA

View Full Version : easy one...

glassefx
07-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Ok I made a sky dome as my light using 400% illuinosity with noise in that channel and a reflective (slightly) ground plane and made a few (of my first) global illuminosity renders at 480x360 with 5 pass anti-aliasing. around 14 minutes on my dual p3 500, with XPpro... I thought cool this isnt taking too long... I then added a spec only light with no increase... then i turned on ray tracing for reflection only and the times like went crazy.. Im still waiting for my 480x360 from 12 hours ago... Question is, what was I doing before I turned on RayTracing for Reflection?

Or what kind of render was it? they looked like global to me..

DUH..

stib
07-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Yeah I'd like to know what LW is doing when ray tracing is off, too. The manual says what happens when you turn it on, but not how it works when it's off.

Try turning down the ray trace recursion limit in the render options. This is 16 by default; try going right down to 1 and see how your scene looks.

To do test renders without having to wait days, try rendering a limited region.

richpr
07-30-2003, 10:59 PM
I guess before programs would have the option scanline as opposed to raytracing... maybe that's still the case...

It would go down the lines of pixels in the camera from left to right / top to bottom and do a quick estimation of what should be there not taking bounces/refraction/reflectivity/transparency/shadows into account...

Do you mean you're using radiosity? adding another light could make a big difference too...

glassefx
08-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Like I said before I added a light that only effected specularity to the scene with hardly any noticable increase in time but what I was getting at was what kind of shadows was I receiving with ray trace shadows turned off and no other lights to produce shadows besides the lit sky dome... I also discovered with XP you can assign processors, I only had one going, 2 is on now and my times are twice as fast...

Cheers!