PDA

View Full Version : Exterior

waly
07-27-2008, 03:45 AM
I m working on a project and I need some tips about exterior, scene setup (lighting, camera etc...)

One of my biggest concern is do i have to use radiosity,cause when i use it time of render increase in irrational way, thought i have very tight deadline.

My current setup is like this:

Light setup:1 area light (80%intensity), 2 Distant lights (20%and 13 intensity)
Render Globals:
Render:Ray trace shadow, ray trace reflection,
Filter: Antialiaze:classic enhanced medium, Reconstruction filter:classic,
Global illumination:none

What are the do and don't in exterior.

by the way Exception I like your work very much, you are my hero.

waly
07-27-2008, 03:51 AM
here is a quick render, looking forward for your suggestions.

Exception
07-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Hi Waly,

Thanks.

You want to use the perspective camera instead of the classic camera.
Also, you can use backdrop-only radiosity which is very fast, and should not add to your render time much. Make sure your sun area light is set to quality 2 or so, that will speed up your render.

With exteriors its important to balance the light and the backdrop image. I would suggest using the SunSky procedural by Dpont.

waly
07-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks Exception, for the tips I'm sure that the tips you gave will improve my project and will fasten the render time.

Exception
07-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Is this a still or an animation?
In either case, I forgot to say, use interpolated backdrop only. Or interpolated FG. That should also be fast.

waly
07-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks again Exception, a few hours I've been playing with setting and i m just getting some pleased results thanks to your tips.

It's an animation. Is there anything else that i should add to improve the animation and fasten the render.

UnCommonGrafx
07-28-2008, 04:44 AM
What version are you using?
If you can, wait for 9.5 to come out or get in on the beta.
There are more advantages going that route.

inakito
07-28-2008, 04:51 AM
I highly recomend have a look at several real pictures again for reference...

waly
07-28-2008, 08:09 AM
What version are you using?
If you can, wait for 9.5 to come out or get in on the beta.
There are more advantages going that route.

I m using Lightwave 9 but i can also use 9.3.1 if needed.

I have very tight deadline so I have' t got that luxury of time to wait for the 9.5 version to come out.

waly
07-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I highly recomend have a look at several real pictures again for reference...

Thanks for u' re recommendation inakito, surely I will consider that recommendation.

waly
08-03-2008, 02:49 AM
I think that i have some pleased results. Here is a rendered frame of the animation. Don t mind the blur it s because of motion blur.
Shortly i will send the animation.

waly
08-03-2008, 02:58 AM
I wan t to share my quad core PC experience that i had in this project.
I begun working with a single core PC, and tried to do some test render,on a one core PC for a single frame it took 2h 25min, than the same frame i rendered on a quad core PC, guess what it took only 9min 20sec it s a big difference so i realized that quad core PC is essential for the job that we are doing.

cheers.