PDA

View Full Version : New Lightwave Slow to Start

A.Russell
07-29-2003, 07:05 AM
I've just got my new copy of Lightwave.

It's all very exciting and everything, but it is very slow to start up. I get the hour glass cursor for a couple of minutes while it connects to the internet and makes a white screen.

Will this go away after I've got my permanent registration number? Is there something I've done wrong when instaling?

freedik
07-29-2003, 07:16 AM
I had same problem. "Luckily" I had to reformat my HDD and reinstall Windows, also LW. After that problem was gone :) My comp had a virus, maybe that was the reason.

Not sure if this helps but...

A.Russell
07-29-2003, 07:21 AM
hmn, that sounds a bit drastic. Norton should be taking care of the viruses -I hope. Before I go through the whole painful process, any other solutions?

WCameron
07-29-2003, 07:24 AM
its the hub, its usually a bit on the slow side to start. you can dissable it by adding -0 to the end of the Shortcut Properties of both Layout and Modeler on your desktop.

if you try that and its still slow it must be somethng else.
Possibly some TSR program you have running in the background or somehting...

- Will.

garg
07-29-2003, 07:50 AM
I you use Norton antivirus with the personal firewall, check on other threads here about how to set it up correctly.

The problem here is that Norton block TCP/IP communication between LW programs...

Alain Bertrand

A.Russell
07-29-2003, 08:15 AM
@ Cameron,

I don't understand what you mean. Where in propeties do I add the -0?

@ Garg,

Thanks, I'll check that out.

WCameron
07-29-2003, 10:15 AM
on your desktop, or the Startmenu, where you have
the icons to launch Lightwave and Modeler.
Right click on one, go into its Properties.
On the SHORTCUT tab, in the TARGET box there will be somehtig that looks like this:

C:\Lightwave_7.5\Programs\LightWav.exe

change it to

F:\Lightwave_7.5\Programs\LightWav.exe -0

do that for both Modeler and Layout.

you lose the ability for Modelr and Layout to communicate back and forth to each other though. but if that gets you into
either modelr or layout that would seem to indicate it is a
HUB problem your having - and check the above info on Norton, etc, etc.

removing the -0 will return it to opening the HUB before layout or modeler once you get the problem sorted.

another thing might be that you dont have an ethernet card.
If thats the case (and I'm assuming your running windows 2000
or XP) you'll need to go into the Add Hardware setup, Network Cards and find the Microsoft Loopback Adapter (its in hardware but its actually a piece of software that Emulates a network card).

- Will.

A.Russell
07-30-2003, 07:23 AM
Can someone direct me to a thread about seting up Norton? I tried a search with the word Norton, but it yeilded no results.

Thanks

and thank you Cameron for explianing that to me. It does come up quickly with those setings. I'd still like to be able to use the hub though.