PDA

View Full Version : Were all doomed

danielkaiser
07-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Three words, can Anu act?

The Day the Earth Stood Still (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/thedaytheearthstoodstill/index.html)

Nangleator
07-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Wouldn't he be better as Gort?

danielkaiser
07-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Wouldn't he be better as Gort?

Or as a shrub in the park.

shrox
07-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I was at a lunar conference at NASA/Ames this week. They have reached the same concusion, and had a slide that said "WE'RE DOOMED!" in big red letters.

We probably won't have the technology to stop it or a place to go when the next extinction level event occurs, a big asteriod in the next 5000 to 30000years.

One day, even "Plan Nine from Outer Space" will be remade.

shrox
07-26-2008, 12:36 PM
I just saw the trailer. Canoe Reeves is a bad choice. From the clips he just seems pissed off rather than benevolent. And what is with all the destruction? It's just going to be another run from the monster, girl falls down, guy risks everything to save her movie.

mattclary
07-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't get all the Keanu hate. Can't say he is my FAVORITE actor, but like every other actor out there, he is chosen for a part because his personality fits the part. IMO, most actors are pretty much just being themselves when they act and are chosen for the part because they fit the roll. Can you imagine Jack Nicholson playing this part? Unless the alien is disheveled and looks like an alcoholic, I can't.

shrox
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't get all the Keanu hate. Can't say he is my FAVORITE actor, but like every other actor out there, he is chosen for a part because his personality fits the part. IMO, most actors are pretty much just being themselves when they act and are chosen for the part because they fit the roll. Can you imagine Jack Nicholson playing this part? Unless the alien is disheveled and looks like an alcoholic, I can't.

No, but there are other actors that would fit the part. Christopher Walker, no too scary. The thing is, Canoe just does come off as smart. He might be nice, friendly, helpful, but not an intellectual colossus like the charactor is supposed to be.

The movie I am dreading even though the book is my favorite, "Altas Shrugged".

Matt
07-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Problem with Keanu is, he has one style of acting - wooden. Although looking back at the Matrix, I can't see who else could play that role now!

danielkaiser
07-26-2008, 06:35 PM
not an intellectual colossus like the character is supposed to be.

He admits that he's a meat head, and seams to be quite proud of that fact.

Then again, if he says "take me to your leader" he and GWB can communicate on the same level, you wouldn't want to talk down to the leader of the free world, now would ya'!.

irenderlw
07-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Problem with Keanu is, he has one style of acting - wooden.:agree:

Then again, if he says "take me to your leader" he and GWB can communicate on the same level, you wouldn't want to talk down to the leader of the free world, now would ya'!.

But could you imagine if Obama gets elected. Trying to interpret ah...um...eh.
They would surely destroy us.

gatz
07-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't get the calculus of remaking a film like this. Anyone that recognizes the name is put off simply by the idea of remaking it. A genuine effort and artistic success would be required just to overcome the negative perception. How often does Hwood even try? Never mind Fox.

"i, Robot" is a perfect display of the contempt Fox holds for the folks that follow genre films. Was it really worth slapping Asimov's title on a script that never had anything to do with his work? I for one would have been much more forgiving if I'd seen it as "Hardware" a pathetically derivative summer programmer.

rg

sean hargreaves
07-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Wheres the spacecraft in the park, wheres Gort, and what the heck is that sphere that comes out of the water????

shrox
07-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Wheres the spacecraft in the park, wheres Gort, and what the heck is that sphere that comes out of the water????

Sphere? Maybe Dustin Hoffman plays Canoe's grandfather!

sean hargreaves
07-26-2008, 10:23 PM
If they don't have Gort.........I'll tear the theatre apaaaaarrrtttt!!!!!!!

Verlon
07-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Problem with Keanu is, he has one style of acting - wooden. Although looking back at the Matrix, I can't see who else could play that role now!

A lot of people on this forum have never seen "The Gift." Not saying its a must see movie, but Keanu can definitely do more than he gets credit for.

Quality of acting is subjective. What seems sincere to you may be wooden or over-acting to me.

I think an alien playing at being human SHOULD seem a bit off, whether it is a bit stiff (as I think fits this part) or a bit quirky (Jeff Bridges in Star Man), they should not simply blend in to a normal social setting.

shrox
07-27-2008, 12:02 AM
A lot of people on this forum have never seen "The Gift." Not saying its a must see movie, but Keanu can definitely do more than he gets credit for...

I forgot about "The Gift", he was very good in that. He plays a redneck asthole. He's mean, polite, slimy and abusive in the role.

He was good in Bill and Ted too, as well as Matrix. Speed as well I guess. And actually, he was good in "Through a Scanner Darkly", but visually I didn't like the movie.

cresshead
07-27-2008, 02:51 AM
gort is in this...or did you miss the 'eye' in the trailer?
i'm hoping it will be good version..i have the origional on dvd and that still hold up well today as the story is solid.

JBT27
07-27-2008, 04:36 AM
.....hmmm, Gort is definitely a fraction of a second in the trailer.....though I was expecting something taller.

Very bemused by the destruction.....but then perhaps in our time and to contemporary cinema audiences, any display of power involves spectacular destruction. Crippling the entire power grid is a much more intelligent demonstration, or restricting fuel by wrecking the economy.....oh wait..... :D

Julian.

Verlon
07-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Haven't seen the original in a long time....didn't gort go on a rampage at the end? His FIRST demonstration of power was the grid, but when the government didn't heed the warning, the robot got upset...so to speak?

lesterfoster
07-27-2008, 08:03 AM
A link to the original trailer of the “Day the Earth Stood Still”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpSXI8_UpY

sean hargreaves
07-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Its amazing how most 'popular' actors pretty much play the same character no matter what the film is!

danielkaiser
07-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Haven't seen the original in a long time....didn't gort go on a rampage at the end? His FIRST demonstration of power was the grid, but when the government didn't heed the warning, the robot got upset...so to speak?

I don't think there was any deaths in the original, kinda the whole point of the movie.

sean hargreaves
07-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Well, except for the military that was atomized at the beginning by Gort!

danielkaiser
07-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Its amazing how most 'popular' actors pretty much play the same character no matter what the film is!

My favorite type of actor is one that half way through a movie you suddenly realize that it's "so and so" actor and you didn't recognize them.

And to response to a previous post, No the quality of acting is not subjective, it's a very technical art form and some are better at it than others.

danielkaiser
07-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, except for the military that was atomized at the beginning by Gort!

Only the weapons.

cresshead
07-27-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't think there was any deaths in the original, kinda the whole point of the movie.

actually some army guys guarding the ship get vapourised by gort..the main thrust of the story is you c an no longer go on like this or our 'police' will wipe out the earth now that you have started with nuclear weapons and are taking steps to leave your planet.

Red_Oddity
07-27-2008, 03:53 PM
My favorite type of actor is one that half way through a movie you suddenly realize that it's "so and so" actor and you didn't recognize them.

And to response to a previous post, No the quality of acting is not subjective, it's a very technical art form and some are better at it than others.

A bit like remembering the last movie you saw with Heath Ledger was The Brothers Grimm while watching The Dark Knight and go, 'dang, that is Heath?'

Verlon
07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
actually some army guys guarding the ship get vapourised by gort..the main thrust of the story is you c an no longer go on like this or our 'police' will wipe out the earth now that you have started with nuclear weapons and are taking steps to leave your planet.

Yeah...nuclear violence is wrong...so stop before we disinitegrate you. What kind of culture invents a disintegrating ray and then tells others to lay off the violence? "Quit developing those horrible weapons. Violence isn't the answer. We're only going to kill you all if we absolutely HAVE to--just to teach you a lesson, you see. With our advanced science, we've determined you'll all be a lot wiser once you're all dead."

Gort W. Bush? I mean really...I wouldn't vote for the guy as dog catcher, but what's the difference between the GWB and the US dictating policy to countries 'for their own good,' and aliens dictating it to the entire world. At least americans are HUMAN and many come from the countries where we enforce our will. It may not SEEM like we have much of a clue, but at least we have a frame of reference. Who knows what an alien would think?

I see the message from the movie as more 'live by the sword, die by the sword.' If we keep this up, sooner or later someone will do it to us.

I always liked the TV episode (new Twilight Zone? Outer Limits? It was in color) where the aliens come and tell us how disappointed they are, and how we've made a mess of things. They're going to wipe us out. The UN implores them to give us 24 hours to mend our awful ways, and they give it to us. We manage to resolve 'the big picture' in 24 hour and have world peace. The aliens come back and and see, then say "What? You idiots! We were breeding a race of WARRIORS! This just shows how weak you really are. Destroy the planet immediately."

shrox
07-27-2008, 04:54 PM
I always liked the TV episode (new Twilight Zone? Outer Limits? It was in color) where the aliens come and tell us how disappointed they are, and how we've made a mess of things. They're going to wipe us out. The UN implores them to give us 24 hours to mend our awful ways, and they give it to us. We manage to resolve 'the big picture' in 24 hour and have world peace. The aliens come back and and see, then say "What? You idiots! We were breeding a race of WARRIORS! This just shows how weak you really are. Destroy the planet immediately."

Yes, I liked that one too.

brian.coates
07-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah, that was Twilight Zone (mid 80's version).

I remember that particular story was really short, (maybe 5-6 minutes from start to finish), but really effective.

Freaked me out a bit at the time. 8~

pauland
07-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I just wish the remake wasn't happening. Sigh.

Nangleator
07-28-2008, 11:06 AM
I know.

This movie was one of the reasons the 50's were filled with cool science fiction movies. (And horrible, horrible ones that are just as much fun.) That stuff wasn't cliché when that movie was new.

What's next? Forbidden Planet? The Thing? Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Oh, yeah... Well, they still shouldn't have remade this one. It was perfect to begin with.

danielkaiser
07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I know.

This movie was one of the reasons the 50's were filled with cool science fiction movies. (And horrible, horrible ones that are just as much fun.) That stuff wasn't cliché when that movie was new.

What's next? Forbidden Planet? The Thing? Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Oh, yeah... Well, they still shouldn't have remade this one. It was perfect to begin with.

Forbidden Planet is actually based on William Shakespeare's The Tempest so remakes abound, my favorite is Prospero's Books, the entire cast is nude, if your offended by seeing small children, fat people and old folks in the raw, get over it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102722/

gerry_g
07-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Forbidden Planet, though based on The Tempest comes over as having the common touch, not too elitist or highbrow ( I imagine this was MGM's doing in the main), where as Michael Rennie and indeed the whole feel of the original The Day The Earth Stood Still comes across as rather dry and elitist, not to mention laughably free of tension and drama, just maybe Canoe Reeves and a mega budget are just about the best thing that could ever happen to this movie

pauland
12-13-2008, 06:28 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2008/dec/12/the-day-the-earth-stood-still

Cageman
12-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Well...

I liked it ALOT! :)

I havn't seen the original, so maybe that's the reason I liked this one.

:)

Cageman
12-13-2008, 07:13 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2008/dec/12/the-day-the-earth-stood-still

Sure... I don't think there are any movie out there that is loved by everyone. Thankfully though, we humans are equipped with different taste and a will of our own. :)

...otherwise we would all be spamming Autodesks forums by now and enjoying Maya, 3DSMax and XSI without giving LW a thought.

Stooch
12-13-2008, 07:17 PM

Tom Cruise in tropical thunder is a perfect example!

anyway yeah, keanu has a certain look to him that has gotten him far in the sci fi world.

i could see a younger patrick stewart playing the role.

Stooch
12-13-2008, 07:20 PM

really? i saw the preview and frankly id rather get stabbed in the eyes than see the original. any movie from the 50s really. they were cool back then but they suck right now. but yeah id like to see more original stuff.

Hopper
12-13-2008, 07:44 PM
No, but there are other actors that would fit the part. Christopher Walker, no too scary. The thing is, Canoe just does come off as smart.
I'm assuming you meant Christopher Walken.

It's unfortunate that he has decided to move more towards comedy these days. Now I can't see him as scary anymore. I see him in older movies and the only thing that comes to mind is "You need more cowbell."

vpii
12-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I always see Christopher Walken in the Deer Hunter in my mind first. The first time I saw him was that movie.

Cageman
12-13-2008, 08:16 PM
really? i saw the preview and frankly id rather get stabbed in the eyes than see the original. any movie from the 50s really. they were cool back then but they suck right now. but yeah id like to see more original stuff.

Yeah... that's the problem really. Lack of original ideas... I still remember when I first saw The Matrix (the first one). THAT was a brilliant movie in so many ways.

Anyhow, there were probably some starving 3D-artists who got the oppertunity to work on this movie. Congrats to them for a job well done; hopefully they'll be able to keep their jobs through the hard times that the economical situation has brought.

Stooch
12-14-2008, 01:17 AM
the movie blew monumental cack. avoid at all costs.

rent a dvd.

Stooch
12-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Bad acting by supporting actors. especially the kid.

I guess the alien guy is supposed to grow attached to the humans. but of course with keanus performance, the necessary emotion was lost on the viewer. So in the abrupt ending, I was left wondering WTF just happened?

kind of like the ending for that other movie, with the walking tripods and tom cruise.

bad script basically. Not that it was fantastic in the original.

So many books out there with killer stories...

Whelkn
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
I watched it last week and liked it but then again I worked on it so my opinion my be off a bit ;-) but look on the bright side we used lightwave for our part.

Cageman
12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I watched it last week and liked it but then again I worked on it so my opinion my be off a bit ;-) but look on the bright side we used lightwave for our part.

Well, the VFX was very good imho. :thumbsup:

Could you tell us little more what shots you guys did?

cresshead
12-16-2008, 05:19 PM
just saw the asylum studio version round a friends house of this called the day the earth stopped and i found this was a more enjoyable film than the hollywood version...is this a sign of things to come?

low budget films that actually out perform hollywood multi million efforts?

Whelkn
12-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Well we did the park scene in the beginning minus the sphere stuff that was all Weta or some other studio. we added NY and turned the city lights on and off as well as the helicopters landing and taking off.

We did most the shots with the helicopters(black Hawks, presidents,and whatever copter that was that picked up Jennifer) computer screens, Cleared the traffic on the free ways-- That sort of stuff. Did I mention we did helicopters?

cresshead
12-16-2008, 06:33 PM
i think the fx were okay it just for me the story seemed like "a typical sci fi" that had the name 'when the earth stood stood tacked onto it in much the same way as i robot did.

the gort robot felt tacked on and not really a part of the script, the sci fi ship was turned into a textured ball [gee...what a waste!]..maybe i'm just too familiar with the b/w/ version...

Stooch
12-16-2008, 07:47 PM
did anyone else catch the windows surface placement ad?

TripD
12-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Bad acting by supporting actors. especially the kid.

I guess the alien guy is supposed to grow attached to the humans. but of course with keanus performance, the necessary emotion was lost on the viewer. So in the abrupt ending, I was left wondering WTF just happened?

kind of like the ending for that other movie, with the walking tripods and tom cruise.

bad script basically. Not that it was fantastic in the original.

So many books out there with killer stories...

Yah, the alien character was written dry. The choice of using a dry actor, Keanu, wasn't very smart imho.
I kept wating for someone to shout...... Neo!!!!!!

Whelkn
12-16-2008, 08:43 PM
did anyone else catch the windows surface placement ad?

yup-- I did the VFX for that--

Cageman
12-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Well we did the park scene in the beginning minus the sphere stuff that was all Weta or some other studio. we added NY and turned the city lights on and off as well as the helicopters landing and taking off.

We did most the shots with the helicopters(black Hawks, presidents,and whatever copter that was that picked up Jennifer) computer screens, Cleared the traffic on the free ways-- That sort of stuff. Did I mention we did helicopters?

Cool!

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Bog
12-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I really rather enjoyed it. Found the gubment reactions depressingly plausible. Thought the ending was a bit abrupt, could have made lots more of it.

Studios remake films because it's a lower-risk endeavour to their minds - it's proven IP and people will turn up to see it. I think that's the reasoning anyway.

cresshead
12-18-2008, 12:55 PM
remakes offer lower risk at the box office plus high expectations..it's def simpler to find funding on a remake of a film or book translation than itis for a totally new story...that's why weve been flooded with comic translations for the last 5 years.

and in the economic climate you'd go with remake [day the earth stood still] rather than a risky new story [delgo].

Stooch
12-18-2008, 01:42 PM
delgo was started way before the climate though. it just had 0 marketing. i didnt know about it until i heard how badly it tanked.

Mike_RB
12-18-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm working on something that isn't a remake.... http://d-9.com/
http://www.multinationalunited.com/
http://www.mnuspreadslies.com/

cresshead
12-18-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm working on something that isn't a remake.... http://d-9.com/

okay you got me...what the heck is that!:D

billmi
12-18-2008, 02:17 PM
No, but there are other actors that would fit the part. Christopher Walker, no too scary.

I'm thinking that was meant to be Christopher Walken...
"The one thing that can save this planet is... More cowbell!"

Or perhaps J.J. Walker?

The three words could be
"Dyn O Mite!"

Cageman
12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
okay you got me...what the heck is that!:D

Yeah! Tell us more Mike!

Bog
12-18-2008, 02:23 PM
I do believe that Mike's involved with an Alternate Reality Game (ARG) of some sort.... what it's for, I'm not sure yet.

tischbein3
12-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm working on something that isn't a remake....

So is it more like an expansion of a short ? ;)

If so, ... would be really nice

Mike_RB
12-18-2008, 04:33 PM
So is it more like an expansion of a short ? ;)

If so, ... would be really nice

Inspired by a short. :) Not a simple expansion.

Mike_RB
12-19-2008, 12:58 PM
http://www.mathsfromouterspace.com/