PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 64 Bit For Mac

GLADIUS
07-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Salve Brothers!
Does anyone know if there will be a full 64 Bit version of Lightwave for the Mac coming out this year at Siggraph?:lwicon:

jasonwestmas
07-25-2008, 11:48 AM
The UB on 10.5 isn't!? That stinks.

Captain Obvious
07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Nope, and it won't be for a while longer. Lightwave uses the Carbon API, which is 32-bit only. If you want to write a Macintosh application with the system APIs, you can't use Carbon. You can write 64-bit Mac apps that do not have a user interface, for example, quite easily. Or 64-bit Mac apps that use Cocoa. But Carbon, which is what Lightwave uses, is limited to 32-bit.

archijam
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Join the 9.5 beta for news, either way. Out here it's all speculation ... Chilton's 'got the goss'.

At least until Sigg (I assume).

virtualcomposer
07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
what is the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit? Would this speed up render times?

kfinla
07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
what is the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit? Would this speed up render times?

Memory (ram).. the complexity of the scenes you'll be able to render and work with. Speed difference should be nominal. Its the significantly larger data sets you can work with.

Filmdesigner
07-29-2008, 10:41 PM
I recently had a job to finish in a hurry and the old G5 wouldn't crunch the scenes fast enough. I bought an Intel Mac installed Windows XP through Bootcamp and managed an 8 time increase in render speeds. This until the new version of UB version LW came out for Intel Mac where I beat that 8 times increase by another 25%.

So yes. There is a real speed increase with 64 bit machines. Or at least from my experience.

Captain Obvious
07-30-2008, 02:13 AM
I recently had a job to finish in a hurry and the old G5 wouldn't crunch the scenes fast enough. I bought an Intel Mac installed Windows XP through Bootcamp and managed an 8 time increase in render speeds. This until the new version of UB version LW came out for Intel Mac where I beat that 8 times increase by another 25%.

So yes. There is a real speed increase with 64 bit machines. Or at least from my experience.
I'm sorry, what? The Mac Pro isn't faster because it's 64-bit. It's faster because it's faster. Besides, the G5 is 64-bit as well.

If you have a 64-bit machine, you usually get about a 5-15 % performance increase from using 64-bit software. The main advantage, however, is that you can use more memory and thusly render more complex scenes.

eblu
07-30-2008, 05:03 AM
though, you could also see a slow down.
the kind of math involved with displaying GUIs, tends to be inefficient under 64 bit.

its going to take a while for everybody to learn how to Best take advantage of 64 bitness.