PDA

View Full Version : Screamer Net Bus Error

dwburman
07-23-2008, 05:13 PM
I was trying to get Screamer Net up and running today. I can get the nodes to start (using the same command in the terminal that I successfully used last year) but when it starts the render, Screamernet quits, I get a "Bus error" and I'm left looking at the Terminal's prompt as it waits for me to type another command.

The last time I used Screamernet was before this machine was upgraded to OSX 10.5.

Does anyone happen to know what's going on with this? It doesn't work as a -3 renderer either.

eblu
07-25-2008, 10:12 AM
dwBurman,
are you using the UB beta? or is this problem in the 9.3.1 UB release?

eblu
07-29-2008, 10:29 AM
guess its not a problem then...

rommany
04-30-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm getting the same error on 9.6

what's the solution ?

bassmanjam
08-17-2010, 02:40 AM
I've had this recently with 9.6.1. It seems to be something in the scene. A simple test scene was successful. However, the scene I'd really like to render can't make it through a frame. I've removed anything in the scene that gave an error on loading. Weird. Working with screamernet can be hazardous to my health :bangwall:.

eblu
08-17-2010, 05:04 AM
bassmanjam...
single machine or across multiple machines?

bassmanjam
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
At the moment, it's just a single machine. I wanted to render in the background while still working. After trying and trying, I started an F10 render in Lightwave. It will render that way. It seems like Screamernet would be able to render if an F10 works. The SNConfigs look OK, but it might be worth starting from scratch.

JonW
08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Here are my nodes for my Mac Mini running LW 9.6 if they are of any help solving you problem just open & edit with TextEdit to suit the location of your set-up on your computer.

I normally use my PCs but set this up for testing things on the Mac.

bassmanjam
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks Jon. I'm able to get Screamernet to work and render simple test scenes, but for some reason it's having trouble with a heftier scene. It throws out a Bus Error and crashes. I guess I should dig through the console to see if I can find out more about the events leading up to the crash. I'll let you guys know if I find anything useful in there.
Cheers

JonW
08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
If you have a really complex scene Layout will be locking up ram & you may have a shortage.

Once you have viewed your scene using views other than “Bounding Box”, for instance “Wireframe” or “Textured Shaded Solid”, even if you change your view port back to “Bounding Box”. It’s too late, you need to quit Layout, better still free up your Mac & restart it.

Also each SN Node seems to consume 70mb of ram just having it open.

Once you are satisfied that you file is ready for Screamernet. Restart your Mac, launch Layout, don’t load the scene, just go straight to Network Render to start SN & load scene. As you don’t need to have the scene open to render it with SN. This saves a lot of ram.

bassmanjam
08-18-2010, 02:24 AM
If you have a really complex scene Layout will be locking up ram & you may have a shortage.

Good call. I checked, but it wasn't memory. Sometimes it will render a single frame before it crashes. Looking at the Screamernet crash report didn't give me any more clues. I'll send it to NT.

Phil
08-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Any third party plugins in use?

bassmanjam
08-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I have removed all 3rd party plugins from the scene. It still crashes. My last test made it through 2 frames before crashing.
Before I removed them, I was getting a Screamernet error on loading the scene saying that the exr Trader plugin had failed. It works fine when doing an F10 render, but fails with Screamernet.

eblu
08-18-2010, 11:45 AM
try this:
http://www.bktools.net/

click on the EASY icon

At the moment, it's just a single machine. I wanted to render in the background while still working. After trying and trying, I started an F10 render in Lightwave. It will render that way. It seems like Screamernet would be able to render if an F10 works. The SNConfigs look OK, but it might be worth starting from scratch.

bassmanjam
08-18-2010, 12:38 PM
try this:
http://www.bktools.net/

click on the EASY icon

So far, it's working like a charm. That's a nice app you've got there. Thanks! :beerchug:
It doesn't look like you are planning to add network render options for easy, correct? I had better figure out why my manual setup isn't working so I can use some networked render nodes.

bassmanjam
08-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I've been watching the Console as I'm testing. It spits out this kernel statement right before SN goes down:
kernel Data/Stack execution not permitted: ScreamerNet[pid 9492] at virtual address 0x1199d1000, protections were read-write.

Now, I'm not an expert, but isn't that referring to a RAM location?

eblu
08-18-2010, 02:01 PM
So far, it's working like a charm. That's a nice app you've got there. Thanks! :beerchug:
It doesn't look like you are planning to add network render options for easy, correct? I had better figure out why my manual setup isn't working so I can use some networked render nodes.

hmmm.. easy was once intended for network rendering, but I quickly got over my head, and released that, vowing one day to come back... only to have a few rugs pulled out from underneath me.

but it suggests that you have a config file read/write issue.

try generating brand new config files for screamernet.
I'll try to look it up, and see what easy generates but you can easily see in its package contents. In Fact, you could probably use the config file Easy generates. to make it all one button, easy ignores the default configs and auto generates one that only has what it needs.

ghostlight
09-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Any conclusions to the Screamernet issue?

I've had the same error with Screamernet giving me a Bus Error and freezing when loading a scene with a lot of particles. Crashes even with one local node, not on the network. It loads earlier versions of the scene just fine. Really need to get this working. =(

bassmanjam
09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
The fellows at NT asked me to package up the scene and send it to them. I haven't heard back yet.
I ended up rendering the scene locally with 1 machine using Easy. I still couldn't figure out why it wouldn't render using Lightwave's Network Render controller when other scenes rendered fine. Cheers to eblu's Easy!

ghostlight
09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Wish Screamernet were as easy as Easy. Strange that Screamernet would suddenly stop working like that.

bassmanjam
09-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah. Who knows. It could totally be my fault though. I tested what I could and now I'm sick of that scene. Thank goodness I didn't have a deadline for it. Every once in a while, it really throws me for a loop and gets me down. I'd prefer not to have to spend the money on a 3rd party render manager or a plugin to help me get the passes I need out of Lightwave. It would be nice to be built in and intuitive.

eblu
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks Guys.
BassManjam, Easy makes its own configs, and preferences.

I suspect that yours are messed up. (potentially corrupt, possibly missing an element, or read/write protected) most likely NOT your fault. SN uses files that Lightwave generates, (unless you tell it otherwise)

if you want to see easy's configs (they Are insanely simple)

right click on easy, and hit "show package contents"
open the file called: "theConfigs"

should look like this:

ScreamerNetCPUs 2
DefaultSegmentMemory 96000000
RenderThreads 2

in your mode -3 rendering you'd point to this file with : the -c flag.
thats the biggest difference I see to what Easy does, and you do.

ghostlight
09-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I removed a proximity Modifier that I used for the Camera's autofocus, and Screamernet loads and renders the scene perfectly now. I just baked the channel into keyframes and removed the modifier. Bingo!