PDA

View Full Version : Color correction curves

ScorpioProd
07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
SpeedEDIT certainly has much better color correction capabilities than VT-EDIT, without question that is true, but here's an idea for something that could make it better.

Though SpeedEDIT has the standard 3-wheel color correction system, it does not have color correction curves. These are graphical gamma curves that many other NLEs have to give you more control over chroma and luma.

For instance, in SpeedEDIT, though you can adjust the low/medium/high areas separately, you can't control a gamma curve smoothly, and visually, over the entire range at once. And a continuous curve is the only way to do a number of things.

For instance, here's a situation where I just needed this:

I did some time lapse HD video of an event, and since this was my first time ever shooting a time lapse, I did two minor tweaks of the iris during it, since I was afraid I was going to clip. Well, these two changes looked like step changes in my time lapsed progressive footage when played back. Yuk. OK, I won't do that again, live and learn.

So, I figure I can fix it in my NLE. First I tried with just luma gains and offsets, but it wasn't a linear change across the entire luma range by changing the iris, so that wouldn't work. And I wouldn't want a change for just low/mid/high that doesn't smoothly go across the entire range in a non-linear curve.

So then I went to color curves. By simply adjusting a bezier handle on the top of my gamma curve, I was able to smoothly and invisibly match the different iris settings very easily. I totally removed what I did with the iris.

This is a very powerful feature.

Quiet1onTheSet
07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Though SpeedEDIT has the standard 3-wheel color correction system, it does not have color correction curves. These are graphical gamma curves that many other NLEs have to give you more control over chroma and luma.

For instance, in SpeedEDIT, though you can adjust the low/medium/high areas separately, you can't control a gamma curve smoothly, and visually, over the entire range at once.
Ah, I see what you mean. Would be nice, indeed.

It appears your feature request is similar in nature, to the request I once made some months back, for HISTOGRAM display and adjustment via same.

PeterG