PDA

View Full Version : How to make cameras follow paths?

grc
07-29-2003, 02:55 AM
Hi,

I would like a camera to go through a tunnel that twists. So I presume I
need to get a path into scene and make the camera follw the path.
Any idea how do do this?

gjjackson
07-29-2003, 05:49 AM
Create a curve in modeler and set up a motion path for the camera to follow.

ChrisS
07-29-2003, 07:47 AM
What you want to use is the Path to Motion plugin (path2mot.p). For some reason it disappeared after version 6.0, but you can find it at Flay. (If there's a new/better way someone let me know).

Assuming you've created your tunnel by doing a path extrude along a spline, use the same spline with the path to motion plugin to create the motion for your camera. You will get a motion that follows the same path as the tunnel. Assigning the motion to a null, and parenting your camera to the null, can make animating the camera a lot easier.

BeeVee
07-29-2003, 08:23 AM
It didn't disappear, if you look in the File > Export menu you'll see PathToMotion. Save your motion and give it the extension .MOT, then in Layout, have your object selected (in this case the camera), go to the File > Load menu and select Load Motion File... from the bottom of the menu.

B

ChrisS
07-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Ah.
I'm still on 6.5 at work, and it wasn't there.

BeeVee
07-29-2003, 09:11 AM
Quite right, sorry, not there in 6.5, but back in 7.0... :)

B

ChrisS
07-29-2003, 09:12 AM
My bad for posting dated info!:o :)

grc
07-29-2003, 09:22 AM
Thanks for your Help.

Johnny
03-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by BeeVee
look in the File > Export menu you'll see PathToMotion. Save your motion and give it the extension .MOT, then in Layout, have your object selected (in this case the camera), go to the File > Load menu and select Load Motion File... from the bottom of the menu.

B

I followed the above, which worked perfectly until I scrubbed the timeline slider for my camera, and only half of the motion path is being expressed in the timeline...plus, all of the keyframes are compressed to within the first 50 frames of my animation.

Is there an elegant way to fix these problems, IOW, without moving each keyframe manually, which would obviate the beauty of this technique?

thanks for any tips!

Edit: OK..tried with a path made from Spline as opposed to bezier, and all of the path is expressed, but still all keys compressed to within about 30 frames...and I can't get the same curve I need as with Beziers!

Edit #2...I stumbled onto the Scale Keys functionality.

So, I guess my remaining question is: why don't bezier-created and exported motion files come in entirely? Why do I only get half?

J

ChrisS
03-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Johnny
I followed the above, which worked perfectly until I scrubbed the timeline slider for my camera, and only half of the motion path is being expressed in the timeline...plus, all of the keyframes are compressed to within the first 50 frames of my animation.

Is there an elegant way to fix these problems, IOW, without moving each keyframe manually, which would obviate the beauty of this technique?

thanks for any tips!

Edit: OK..tried with a path made from Spline as opposed to bezier, and all of the path is expressed, but still all keys compressed to within about 30 frames...and I can't get the same curve I need as with Beziers!

Edit #2...I stumbled onto the Scale Keys functionality.

So, I guess my remaining question is: why don't bezier-created and exported motion files come in entirely? Why do I only get half?

J

Try merging your curves (merge polygons) before exporting the path. Beziers create a seperate polygon for each pair of control points.

Johnny
03-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by ChrisS
Try merging your curves (merge polygons) before exporting the path. Beziers create a seperate polygon for each pair of control points.

Sweet!

Thank you!

J