PDA

View Full Version : some secrets spilling out

rabid pitbull
07-29-2003, 02:28 AM
quite a few mysteries being unveiled at cgtalk, make sure to read beyond the first page for a little lw8 info.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78473&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

sailor
07-29-2003, 02:52 AM
damn !

a new subdivision modeler as my sources claimed...:) from now on i will be able to rely on them :D

great great great !!!!

luxology Newtek...round 2 FIGHT !!!

competition is a great thing no? ;)

Karmacop
07-29-2003, 03:13 AM
Why does Luxology continue to promote Lightwave then I wonder ... maybe it's part of the reason nothign can be said about the lightwave modeler yet .... :confused:

sailor
07-29-2003, 03:20 AM
i have no clue...

maybe at last there is no problem at all between NT and LUX ? all this was maybe a "smoke curtain" to make a LW reborn? if this is true it will be an incredible marketing strategy !!!

other than that maybe LUX just wanted to catch LW users attention ...who knows....

takkun
07-29-2003, 03:32 AM
sailor, there definitely is no connection between Newtek and Lux anymore. If there is then Newtek and Lux have got the best poker faces I've ever seen. :)

rabid pitbull
07-29-2003, 03:36 AM
yes i agree with takkun. seems more like a great marketing move for lux... drag lw down through community speculation at the same time develop a new product while nt scrambles around with attourneys....

tsk tsk tsk

guess that is big buisness for you.:(

pauland
07-29-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by sailor
maybe at last there is no problem at all between NT and LUX ? all this was maybe a "smoke curtain" to make a LW reborn? if this is true it will be an incredible marketing strategy !!!

other than that maybe LUX just wanted to catch LW users attention ...who knows....

Lee Stranahan has already said that the focus of NewTeks development has been on Layout and changes to Modeller are minimal. The 'incredible marketing strategy' between newTek and Luxology doesn't exist - they are competitors.

Paul

Karmacop
07-29-2003, 04:01 AM
From everything I've read it seems like Lux and Newtek don't have anything to do with each other, but looking at all the interviews etc on the lux site it seems to suggest otherwise. I was thinking maybe it was a play with words .. saying that newtek hasn't done much with modeler .. when lux was actually working on it or something.

I just wish we were given some straight answers ... like are Stuart and Allen still writing Lightwave or did Newtek by the code from them ...

Maybe Lux is doing the modeling portion of PMG though .. I don't know. Can't see myself switching too easily though :\

pauland
07-29-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
From everything I've read it seems like Lux and Newtek don't have anything to do with each other, but looking at all the interviews etc on the lux site it seems to suggest otherwise. I was thinking maybe it was a play with words .. saying that newtek hasn't done much with modeler .. when lux was actually working on it or something.

I just wish we were given some straight answers ... like are Stuart and Allen still writing Lightwave or did Newtek by the code from them ...

Maybe Lux is doing the modeling portion of PMG though .. I don't know. Can't see myself switching too easily though :\

Both companies have to behave professionally with each other but that doesn't mean they have a relationship going. Many Lux employees are ex-NewTek. There's no reason why they shouldn't be civil, particularly Lux. Lux has it's eye on NewTek customers to buy it's products and it's modeller needs to integrate with their workflow.

It may well be that the Lux modeller will be a good fit for Messiah, but Messiah still has to be actually released and I think the renderer is priority two.

The actuall deal between Newtek and Stuart and Allen is only known for sure amongst those parties. There's no doubt thisis a bizarre situation. I might speculate that there was a weakness in the agreement that allowed those guys to go ahead as part of Luxology.

Paul

toasterhombre
07-29-2003, 08:59 AM
The idea of Lux wanting to "bring down" LW is silly. I ran into allen before siggraph and he was very honest when he said he wanted LW to be very successful. LW is his baby, along with stuarts. Just because they have moved onto next generation stuff, doesn't mean they would want LW to be "brought down"

The new Lux app was getting tons of oohs and aaahss from digital domain guys and other studios. It looks like a bigger leap in modeling technology than they could have made building on the LW core.

LW 8 looks really cool for

character animators and the dynamics looked very impressive.

Modo is designed to "play well" with LW as well as most 3D apps. It should be about the artists, not the tools. Most serious 3D guys use more than one tool. So manufacturers working towards complimenting other apps rather than competing is a great idea.

I can't wait to see what else Lux has got cooking.

policarpo
07-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Well...Maybe Lux just wants to be bought by Apple anyhow. I heard that in the past, a certain someone had entertained the idea of selling LW to Apple...but he's no longer there.

He's with some other company.

I guess either way it's good news...competition drives innovation.

Just thought i'd join in in the "speculation".

:rolleyes:

Matt
07-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Man this is confusing!

I think I'll wait 'til the smoke clears and the facts are in plain sight!!!

:)

Arnie Cachelin
07-29-2003, 09:46 AM
What's really funny is that some people have the impression that 'Whisper Suite' is a product name, or code name, when in fact, it is a generic term for a hotel room (or suite) in which technology previews are shown to the select, under NDA. I don't think they actually whisper in there, that part is just meant to convey the 'hush-hush' nature of the information revealed.

Of course it is kind of a catchy name...

policarpo
07-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Hey Arnie, long time no see, what have you been up to?

mattc
07-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Arnie,

I wouldn't be so sure. Whisper is the brand name of a type of sanitary pad down here.....

Regards
Matt

TyVole
07-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Arnie Cachelin
What's really funny is that some people have the impression that 'Whisper Suite' is a product name, or code name, when in fact, it is a generic term for a hotel room (or suite) in which technology previews are shown to the select, under NDA.

Double LOL!!

Andy_D
07-29-2003, 10:28 AM
How about some more meaty bits on LW8 features?, it seems like LUX is stealing Newteks thunder. I come here to find out about LW8 - I would`nt be too happy if I was in the Newtek gang reading about LUX (a potential competitor) on my own message board.

Andy

TyVole
07-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Andy_D
How about some more meaty bits on LW8 features?, it seems like LUX is stealing Newteks thunder. I come here to find out about LW8 - I would`nt be too happy if I was in the Newtek gang reading about LUX (a potential competitor) on my own message board.

Andy

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/07-29-03a.html

cgolchert
07-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Andy_D
How about some more meaty bits on LW8 features?

Those might be in the LW8 threads. :)

While Lux may be a [possible competing product they didn't show any animation or rendering. So far it looks like it could work with the improved animation tools in LW8, as much as Motion builder or messiah anyway (both have had threads here too).

pauland
07-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by toasterdude
The idea of Lux wanting to "bring down" LW is silly.

Well I couldn't see anywhere anyone suggesting that. Where did that come from?

Paul

Andy_D
07-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by cgolchert
Those might be in the LW8 threads. :)

While Lux may be a [possible competing product they didn't show any animation or rendering. So far it looks like it could work with the improved animation tools in LW8, as much as Motion builder or messiah anyway (both have had threads here too).

I have no idea what the relationship between NT and LUX is, as far as I can make out they are two separate companies with competing products being LW modeler and whatever LUX calls its version.
I guess what I am saying is it seems a little disrespectful to pawn a competing product at the onset of LW8`s cameo appearance (on NT`s site).

Then again I always was an old fashioned type of girl :D .

Andy

sailor
07-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Andy_D :

sure i totally agree with ya.....:p

so tell us more whta is this Modo Lux modeler about?

any new links?

hope it will be kick ***...NT maybe missed a chance to make next generation of LW ...

takkun
07-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Arnie Cachelin
What's really funny is that some people have the impression that 'Whisper Suite' is a product name, or code name, when in fact, it is a generic term for a hotel room (or suite) in which technology previews are shown to the select, under NDA. I don't think they actually whisper in there, that part is just meant to convey the 'hush-hush' nature of the information revealed.

Of course it is kind of a catchy name... Waaah?!? Shoot! I didn't know that! I thought it sounded cool so that's what you guys were calling it. My bad. :p

Andy_D
07-29-2003, 12:07 PM
allo sailor ;) ,

indeed - I must admit the Curious George in me is looking for more info on this Modo thingy :D .

Andy

hrgiger
07-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Sailor, you're becoming sort of like a stand-in CIM.;)

Original1
07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
There were a bunch of guys who left newtek to build messiah.

Three/ four years on they still have not got a final product, we are still wating for the final version of messaih studio.

Ex-Newtek people have left to form Luxology, what we have is a teaser for a product which could be 6 or 12 months away, which if Brad Pebblers appearance at the G5 launch is anything to go by are they just going to be geared towards the MAC?

I would not worry about it, competition will force Newtek to go to the next level with Lightwave, that can only be a good thing.

I'm a pragmatist if the Modeler form Luxology is that good, it will end up alongside my other tools.

But in my opinion,they will have to go a long way to beat a product we already have.

philip
07-29-2003, 04:01 PM
LOL, this won't ever stop, will it? :D

cgolchert
07-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Original1 what we have is a teaser for a product which could be 6 or 12 months away

Yeah, who would do something like that?

Nightwalker
07-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Original1 what we have is a teaser for a product which could be 6 or 12 months away

Yes this is a realy bad thing to do.... imagine if they were already selling-it without even a full features list :rolleyes: