PDA

View Full Version : Audio Compressor

4n6Days
07-22-2008, 12:00 PM
It would be nice to have compressor on each of the audio channels or at least one blanket compressor for all four inputs. Sometimes you don't have much control of the audio input.

csandy
07-29-2008, 11:33 PM
It would be nice to have compressor on each of the audio channels or at least one blanket compressor for all four inputs. Sometimes you don't have much control of the audio input.

:dito:

Quiet1onTheSet
07-30-2008, 07:51 AM
It would be nice to have compressor on each of the audio channels or at least one blanket compressor for all four inputs. Sometimes you don't have much control of the audio input.If I may spend my 2 cents here, let me suggest that thankfully, NewTek places the compression tools within the EDIT MEDIA panel, in an EFFECTS/AUDIO folder.

I like that option better. A good number of folks who make up the TriCaster end-user demographic are likely to end up with badly-mangled audio recorded from LIVE PRODUCTION panel, if NewTek placed an on-board audio compressor/limiter/gate with full user-control, in TriCaster's analogue input stage. Why?

Because different types of audio material being recorded require different types of approaches to compression, generally, and

Many TriCaster end-users aren't skilled or at least educated on the proper use of such an advanced audio tool.

Imagine the number of users, if given a audio graphic equalizer on the LIVE PRODUCTION panel, would wind up arbitrarily tweaking it to the contours of the ubiquitous "smiley-face" curve! :)

Fortunately, a good number of wireless mic systems feature built-in compression and/or limiting circuitry; and nothing precludes a user from adding an audio mixer and perhaps even an audio compressor/limiter/gate at TriCaster's front-end.

Of course one might argue that an AUDIO LIMITER "On/Off" feature on the LIVE PRODUCTION panel might be a much more user-friendly, though comparatively, a somewhat crude compromise.

Q1
:hey:

Quiet1onTheSet
07-30-2008, 07:59 AM
I'll admit that I had originally thought that was a good idea, until several months of TriCaster use rolled by. I'd suggest that some really cool R&D in the audio realm might be some advanced internal cabling scheme for maximum S/N.

Q1

4n6Days
08-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah.... I guess it is better to fix it in post. That way you avoid a self-inflicted audio snafu.

D3Cast
08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
...and perhaps even an audio compressor/limiter/gate at TriCaster's front-end.Indeed, and there are many inexpensive units out there; I know Behringer makes a very affordable one.

My favorite, though, is still the Really Nice Compressor (http://www.fmraudio.com/RNC1773.HTM). Does a great job, and I love having a button called "Super Nice" mode...

-s

Quiet1onTheSet
08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Indeed, and there are many inexpensive units out there; I know Behringer makes a very affordable one...

LOL! That's really funny! I was seriously considering making the very same recommendation before hitting SAVE!
"Like minds..."

Q1
:i_agree:
:dito:

csandy
08-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Indeed, and there are many inexpensive units out there; I know Behringer makes a very affordable one.

My favorite, though, is still the Really Nice Compressor (http://www.fmraudio.com/RNC1773.HTM). Does a great job, and I love having a button called "Super Nice" mode...

-s

Great suggestion! That LRM 1773 is truly a gem. Now.... what do you do to get rid of the Tricaster's high frequency PC noise?

D3Cast
08-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Now.... what do you do to get rid of the Tricaster's high frequency PC noise?Turning 40 seemed to help this issue become less noticeable. :eek:

csandy
08-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Turning 40 seemed to help this issue become less noticeable. :eek:

:) Some of us still have young ears. Maybe the real thing the Tricaster needs is a filter that can be turned on or off from the live panel. It would make more sense than the compressor idea, especially because the Tricaster itself it the source of the colored sound.

csandy
08-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I just remembered.... (and to bring the discussion full circle) didn't VT4 and the VTPro card introduce some floating point thingy that works like a compressor/limiter? Did that feature get incorporated into the Tricaster line? Maybe someone on this forum knows?

Quiet1onTheSet
08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I just remembered.... (and to bring the discussion full circle) didn't VT4 and the VTPro card introduce some floating point thingy that works like a compressor/limiter? Did that feature get incorporated into the Tricaster line? Maybe someone on this forum knows?Hmmm. Lemme' see here..

Floating-Point Audio was indeed used for VT post; But I'm not certain it was utilized in the context of LIVE production with the VT[4] PRO suite...
Q1
:)