PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel rough draft.

TheDynamo
07-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I was working on my reel the other night and I thought I would post it up for general commentary. It uses primarily After Effects with some Lightwave elements.

-Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9vA1EYc3rU

adamredwoods
07-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Well, since you've got Favre on there, it's good!

But seriously, you have a large variety of stuff on the reel. Try to organize it. Put the best, flashy, sexiest stuff FIRST. The banking stuff? Not as flashy as some of the other stuff.

You may also want different reels for different client targets. One shiny and cool, the other for technical abilities.

TheDynamo
07-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I was wondering if I should make specific reels. That reel is kind of like taking all the remnants of 4 cereal boxes and mixing it together into a large cereal bowl :)

-Dyn

JeffrySG
07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Really nice work there! :D

Is this a reel to get a job? or to get clients?

Also, watching anything on youtube really brings it down a notch in my mind... I'm sure it looks a lot better when viewing a higher quality version.

TheDynamo
07-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I should have added that the Brett Farve part was a custom color treatment on him (originally a color video shoot). I had to do some creative keying/rotoscoping to turn him into a black and white image while leaving his shirt a slight tint of red. The subtlety of which was lost in the conversion over to Youtube. When I get my website up in a day or two I will have much better compressions of the footage on there. Ultimately I wouldn't mind doing a complete break down of each one.

-Rob

P.S. I didn't get a chance to meet Brett on the shoot but it would have been pretty cool even if I'm a SeaChicken fan. ;)

TheDynamo
07-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Is this a reel to get a job? or to get clients?

Primarily it will be for a job. If I go freelance and use a reel to get clients I will have to find some canned stuff from the creative commons just stay on the up and up.

-Rob

P.S. I'm not going anywhere yet but it has been over 5 years since I've even touched the old reel so I thought I might as well have some fun with the Grandfather of Soul.

adamredwoods
07-22-2008, 04:09 PM
P.S. I didn't get a chance to meet Brett on the shoot but it would have been pretty cool even if I'm a SeaChicken fan. ;)

Well, you have his coach (Holmgren) so it's somewhat related! :)

TheDynamo
07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm a bit foggy on the copyright on the music here. I've seen studios use rights reserved tracks of audio (some by the Who, Led Zeppelin, etc.) without mention of the artist or album the song came from. I have also seen studios adding the artist/album/year/song footnote at the beginning or end of the reel.

Any thoughts on that?

animotion
07-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Just wondering, did you get the rights to use the music?

adamredwoods
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
It's illegal, but if you're using it for personal use, you can get away with it.

In legal dealings, if you are using a song or something illegally, you will get a cease and desist letter first. That's when you stop and use a different song.

If you made money off of it by selling it, or endorsing a product, then yes, you need rights. But it also depends on circulation. You will be circulating your reel in such small circles, I don't think you'll get much resistance.

That's why its done so often.

TheDynamo
07-23-2008, 11:51 AM
It's illegal, but if you're using it for personal use, you can get away with it.

In legal dealings, if you are using a song or something illegally, you will get a cease and desist letter first. That's when you stop and use a different song.

If you made money off of it by selling it, or endorsing a product, then yes, you need rights. But it also depends on circulation. You will be circulating your reel in such small circles, I don't think you'll get much resistance.

That makes sense. I know I had a copyright law "class" back in 1994 from the Art Institute but there's obviously been some changes. I can always change the music.

-Rob

animotion
07-23-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't want you to get into any trouble.

TheDynamo
07-23-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't want you to get into any trouble.

Neither do I frankly but it seems unlikely that will happen. This was for personal use and will not be used for commercial purposes. I really wanted a couple of people to look at it before I discuss a potential business relationship with them. One of those "show us what you can do" type deals. It just also came about at the same time my family wanted to see an update of what I've done lately. It has been 5 years since my last reel. Really nothing more.

-Rob

archijam
07-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Nice all-round reel, with some great individual shots.

Although it seems standard to repeat shots of the same project in reels, it doesn't always work. Some of the treadmill stuff is great, i like the tracking shots etc, but then others show nothing 'extra'.

While not overly long, it could be shorter and actually seem more 'full of work'. Look forward to the final!

One point about the end - it seems odd to start so full-on with the motion graphics and music, then not have a trace of that at the end. I don't mean more movement, but perhaps an orange line in the corner, or something to suggest you've come full circle.

I would also just add small print crediting the music to james brown an emi etc. to cover that base.

Titus
07-24-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm a bit foggy on the copyright on the music here. I've seen studios use rights reserved tracks of audio (some by the Who, Led Zeppelin, etc.) without mention of the artist or album the song came from. I have also seen studios adding the artist/album/year/song footnote at the beginning or end of the reel.

Any thoughts on that?

It is not completely wrong use, thanks to the fair use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use) doctrine. If you don't use the music for commercial purpose, use only a part of the song, etc, then you don't need permission from the copyright holder. Music corporations don't want you to know that.

If you feel picky about this issue then buy royalty free songs or get music with a Creative Commons license.

BTW, your reel is offline now :(.

digefxgrp
07-24-2008, 08:20 AM
What reel? All I saw was a page full of UTube stuff that had nothing to do with animation.:confused:

TheDynamo
07-24-2008, 09:59 AM
That would be because I removed the YouTube reel. :) I've got the website up now.

www.houghtonmedia.com

It's the same reel, just much much cleaner.

-Rob

Thomas M.
07-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I'd strongley advise you not to use music if you don't own the copyrights or paid the copyrightholder a fee so that you are allowed to use it. Get a written permission.

A reel is a commercial product as you try to enterprise and showcase your work in order to attract customers. If you are unlucky, it's likely that you won't be able to go on holidays for many, many years.

I'm just sueing somebody for using my images without permission for commercial purposes. I'm not unreasonable here, but major music companies aren't fun to deal with.

Better have a silent movie than nothing to laugh.

Thomas M.
07-24-2008, 04:16 PM
P.S.: Just watched it. There'll be trouble if they find out. Loosing 5 to 10k $ shouldn't be a problem if their attorney starts working. I know it sounds cool (the music), but don't risk it.

TheDynamo
07-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Fair enough, I'll work on a revision to it tonight. There are some elements inside the reel that need addressing and it would be better to be safe than sorry.

-Rob