PDA

View Full Version : Controlling sudivision direction?

serge
07-22-2008, 10:05 AM
The example I attached is a subdivided plane with a simple crumple displacement. As you can see, the displacement tends to stretch in the direction of the subdivision. This is logical, but can be annoying depending on your project. Also, depending on the polyflow, this direction can abruptly change and cause a visible seam, as I'm showing in this example.

Would there be a way to control this subd direction? For example, having the possibility to change the subd direction every next subdivision could eliminate this problem.

liquidpope
07-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd try jittering the points, which will randomize the mesh a bit.
Also making the divisions smaller may help as well.

cagey5
07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I think it's affected by where it is in relation to the origin [0,0,0], so if you model it entirely on one side of the affected axis, then it'll all be sub-divided in the same direction.. I think.

noenoe118
07-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Try this plugin, if you understand this picture(usage).
http://www.neko.ne.jp/~asagi/P2P/Plugins/mod/PolyPntOrder011.zip

Sorry, I am weak in English.:(

Sensei
07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Maybe this one will be helpful, if you want planes to be displaced.. http://www.trueart.eu/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/Plane

serge
07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Wow, so many answers! :)

I'd try jittering the points, which will randomize the mesh a bit.
Also making the divisions smaller may help as well.
Thanks for the suggestions Liquidpope. Yes, jittering points might help in the example I posted, but it's just an example. There might be cases where jittering points is not a good option. Increasing subdivisions could also lessen the problem (although not always), but isn't always an option if you need to avoid high polycount.

I think it's affected by where it is in relation to the origin [0,0,0], so if you model it entirely on one side of the affected axis, then it'll all be sub-divided in the same direction.. I think.
I tested that, but it doesn't seem to make a difference at which location I create the model. Anyway, it's not really related to my question since I'd like to be able to control the subd direction after I create a model. :)

Try this plugin, if you understand this picture(usage).
http://www.neko.ne.jp/~asagi/P2P/Plugins/mod/PolyPntOrder011.zip

Sorry, I am weak in English.:(
Noenoe, thanks! This is a very helpful plugin, but not exactly what I want. What I want is to control the way Layout makes the subdivision. I would like to be able to 'randomize' the subd direction, and having 'presets' like changing the subd direction every next subdivision.

Anyway, many thanks for this plugin! I'm sure it will be very helpful in some projects. :thumbsup:
If I can make a feature request: it would be nice if you could change the subd direction of a complete selection of polys.

serge
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Maybe this one will be helpful, if you want planes to be displaced.. http://www.trueart.eu/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/Plane
Sensei, thanks! I didn't know about this plugin. Very nice. This is the kind of subdivision that I would like. But look what silly Lightwave does to the plane when I subdivide it further! :( This is really annoying.

liquidpope
07-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Alrighty, check this out.

Step 1. Make a subdivided box.
Step 2. Select rows of points as shown, and drag them over a bit.
Step 3. Triple all the polys.
Step 4. Select more polys and subdivide as needed.

No plug-ins used, just the regular subdivide in faceted mode.

serge
07-23-2008, 05:14 AM
Nice technique liquidpope, thanks! However, this still leaves the problem as I showed in my last post. Often, very high object polycounts are not desirable; you only want those many polys at rendertime. The way Layout subdivides this mesh leaves these undesirable patterns, as shown in my last post.

serge
07-23-2008, 05:27 AM
So, in other words, Modeler subdivides the mesh different than Layout. If you freeze the tripled subd-mesh in Modeler you get smaller evenly placed triangles, but in Layout you get undesirable patterns.

liquidpope
07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Actually I'm not getting weird patterns at all. Just smaller triangles.
I simply made a new triangulated grid, just as before, then selected the polys left of 0 and hit tab. Seems to work like you'd think it should.
(First picture is modeler, second is layout.)
I can't imagine how you're getting that pattern and I'm not.
Maybe I'll try out those plug-ins and see if I get the same results...

liquidpope
07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Had an idea...
Changed subpatch method to C-C, got the funky pattern in layout, but not modeler.
So there you go.

serge
07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Aaah, that's it. Thanks for this, Liquidpope!

serge
07-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Here's a good example showing the difference in quality for displacement.

On the left you see a regular quad mesh, and the ugly stretching of the displacement due to the subd direction. On the right you see a tri-mesh created by either Sensei's plugin or Liquidpope's technique. Both meshes have the exact same polycount at rendertime.

Again, thanks a bunch guys!

liquidpope
07-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Wow, that made a huge difference. Looking great!

Glad I could be of assistance. :thumbsup: